1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WHO WILL BE OUR NEXT COACH?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, May 17, 2017.

1. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Its ok did you read his comments ? He has left Palace to follow his dream wile he is still only 62 . Then he will miss management and come to Watford in Nov to dig us out of the sXXX then take us into Europe . Wake me up someone .My bet on the Russian is still looking ok

2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

3. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i pray it isn't Ranieri..definitely Schmidt wasn't impressed with the money offer. I'm beginning to get frustrated. The Pozzos do very little wrong but they haven't got this bit right yet and this bit is massively important. They need to invest in a good HC otherwise we will be seeing this every season, and that thought is way too depressing to contemplate. Hmm.

To be honest, i'd have Allardyce over Ranieri, but BSA isn't likely to come to us, he'd never accept being 'given' players.

canary-dave likes this.
  4. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Anyone know if LD has done his coaching badges? Him as HC with Mapps as player-assistant. That would probably mean AC going back to his role as senior GK coach.

5. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

I did, and with Sam's history do you believe anything he says?

6. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

He will be back. - like Harry and Colin!

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Hornette_TID likes this.
  8. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I've just been looking at the Oddschecker site to see who is currently the bookies' favourite for the job. I really don't understand what I am seeing.
    The Independent says that we won't pay Schmidt enough so any deal is off but most bookies still have him as one of the favourites. The only odds on favourites are being offered by Betfair for Alan Curbishley and Glenn Hoddle, amongst others, at 10/11. There are lots of other names on the list, most of which appear to have been randomly selected.

I was always under the impression that odds were calculated against the amounts that had been bet on an outcome. I now assume that that is not the case. Can someone tell me how this works? Please keep any explanation simple as the only gambling I do is occasionally buy a charity raffle ticket.

10. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Usually, I assume, it must go on the best and most likely fit from the bookies views being the lowest odds. Then tip offs, news or your bit in bold can change that. Someone else should know more about this mind.

I think with Watford it must be hard for them to find names so they have just thrown other names in to make the numbers up and suck in more bets...something like this really....aahahhaah.. Who´s Watford´s next sad ken?

Last edited: May 25, 2017

11. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

You are right most of them have not got a clue .One of the guys that was mentioned was an ex manager of Itay and he is not on any of the list of 60+ names

12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Book
    For sure bookies (bookmakers) should not be and normally have no need to gamble. They balance the book as you suggest NZ based on the accumulated payout of each outcome. But being such big organisations these days, and wishing to pursue 'no bet impossible' strategies, they can afford to gamble within an event (a process with a result).

For example some events make the book impossible to balance. Take 'it will be a white Christmas'. Many punters will bet on it being a white Christmas (talking UK here of course NZ :biggrin: ) but virtually zero will bet on it not being a white Christmas, thus it is impossible to balance the book. A more extreme case would be the Dad who bet his son (aged 15) would win a snooker ranking event before he was 25. No one was betting against. The bookies took the gamble and lost (I forget who it was but it happened). But of course they win most romantic bets of this type.

Also, as in the case of Watford's next manager we see the book as simply that. However the bookies do not. They see a book, and numerous sub-books, covering all manager vacancies and all managers. For example not only is there money for Raniere to be the next Watford Manager but also the next Palace manager; yet he can only get one job. So while the book of 'who will be Watford manager' may look out of balance, if you saw the book of "where will Ranieri end up" (all the bets on him getting a job) it might well balance.

It is also true that the bookies like and need there to be winners. They know a lot of money will get recycled anyway (the hooked gambler) and a few lost leaders, just as with the supermarkets, stimulates more business.

HTH and thanks for that. Made me remember my great uncle who was both an illegal and legal bookie in the Edgware Road. Happy memories.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  13. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Did anyone else watch the Europa League final last night on a non-English stream? In the post match wrap up, Frank de Boer was asked about his apparent links to the Watford vacancy.

14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0140-rofl:

15. Markthehorn

What did he say - Where is that?

16. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I'm not a gambler...my dad was seriously agin it...but thanks for this. A clear and interesting explanation.

17. Ethelhorn

Ethelhorn Active Member

18. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Worrying for Leeds that he walked. Sounds like they wanted him to stay. The only bad and all too familiar aspect for us is that terrible end of season run :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Will be interesting to see what aspirations he has and if he already had something lined up. Tx for that Ethelhorn <cheers>

19. Markthehorn

I'd like to see what he can do but probably going to Palace or Boro

Somebody with a bit of money to spend - suspect the new owner said there was no money to be had.

Would Monk want to work with Italian owners again?

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Ik zou graag te beheren in de Premier League, maar zal geen commentaar geven over individuele clubs...