1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who should we keep next season

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Apr 15, 2017.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

I cant remember a season when so many players have under performed. Really struggling to say who i would like to see in a Gills shirt next season. Wright will probably be player of season for his unexpected amount of goals but still looks average. Cody still works hard. Dack should go if we can get decent six figure fee. Ehmer has done well most of the season. Wagstaff has done ok when fit. Bryne has played well last month. Jackson ok right back. Looks like the end for Nelson as they have high hopes for Holy. The rest dont care if go

2. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Sounds about right to me Gio. Transfer fees from Dack and Wright to bolster playing budget ( If Scallywag does not snaffle cash of course!)

3. brb

brb CR250

Hard one for me, as the team are not playing a style I would like to see.

If we continue with our current ways next season then some seven footers wouldn't go a miss!

4. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Do we sell the family silver? If so, what do we replace it with?

5. gioblues

Need at least 3 defenders. Midfielders that can run with the ball (winger) 2 forwards one tall. Not injured players.

6. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Wright, Dack, Cody, Nelson (Garmston if he can stay fit) to stay as a starter..........I know BRB is not a Cody fan but he delivers on the effort front, has decent skill and scores some nice goals...(the two against Bristol Rovers come to mind). Yes he needs support...as does the whole team. AND....if you 'pay peanuts you get monkeys' so a total re build is not, in my opinion, a viable option.........There have all been some worrying losses of form within the team...Deji, Osadebe, Jackson etc good players do not become poor overnight. These guys need re building not chucking on the scrap heap. There seems to have been a loss of self esteem throughout the whole team......

7. gioblues

Bryne has been one of best players last 6 games he has played

8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Osadebe is only 20 years old so will continue to improve/develop, How much would it cost for a Cody replacement ? even non league strikers can cost hundreds of thousands, Jackson can frustrate but on the whole he's worth keeping, List is only 19 and has pace to burn, he needs time in the gym to develop his strength, Parker I think is worth a contract, at 26 he is just coming into his peak years.

I haven't mentioned Dack or Wright as it could be out of our hands, I would like to keep both.

Ade should make the defence his first priority.

9. brb

brb CR250

Keep;

Nelson because good keepers are difficult to come by and even at the age of 35 coming 36 in the new season, keepers can keep playing until they are 40. No disrespect to Holy but he has not made an immediate impact on me. One thing i would change tactically is to stop him hoofing the ball, keep it on the ground and play it from the back.

Ryan Jackson, my style of player, as a winger.

Osadabe, much along the lines of grumpygits comments above, particularly with age on his side, also seems a calmer and stronger player than Jackson, so will make up for what Jackson lacks.

Now my controversial one, Dack, and let Cody go. Yeah I know i'm crazy, it was highlighted two seasons ago v Sheffield United how I want us to play and it was to great affect, until Cody came back (from injury i think).

Oshilaja, yeah he had some bad times this season, head down, no movement, confidence shot, but i blame management for that.

That's about it for me, other than to say i want someone to mix it up, so you best all sit down for this one, Chris Herd, let's just say i wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed.

And finally, anyone that hoofs the ball in my selected team will get their ruddy legs chopped off :)

10. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Keep:
    Cody 100% - Ignore Brb he's drunk.
    Osadebe - Give him a chance to actually play his natural position and he will flourish
    List - Bundles of pace. Could be a big year for him next season
    Parker - Done enough for me for a new deal.

Unsure:
    Jackson - Great 1st season. Poor this season. Definitely think there's worse out there than him. Can see him joining JE once more at Northampton
    Rehman - Been ok and added the experience we needed but I think there's better out there. Maybe keep him around preseason & see if he warrants a new deal then.
    Oshilaja - I think he's our most capable centre back but if he's still contracted to Cardiff, I'm not really sure if we should be spending money on getting him. It's a tough call.
    Cundle - Not seen enough of him to make a judgement. I know he was rated highly when he was younger but he's not been given a chance.

Go:
    Cornick - Back to Bournemouth please
    Quigley - Same with Cornick
    Herd - I think there's better out there than what he offers plus he's too injury prone.
    Donnelly - Already gone from the sounds of it. Don't get me wrong I do like Rory but I think he needs a fresh start at another club. Too many people are on his back now all the time at Priestfield and it can't be doing his confidence any good at all.
    Muldoon - Not proved anything since he's been here plus with Morris being fit next season & the introduction of youngsters Oldaker & Stevenson then Muldoon would be a waste of a wage.

As for contracted players as sad as it is for me to say this, I think we need to cash in on Dacky now. You can see from his body language on the pitch he's sick and tired of being here now. Only 1 year left on his current deal, we need to cash in now or risk losing him for free next year. Small club mentality I know but that defence needs the money spent on. You can't lose if you keep a clean sheet at the end of the day and 3 league clean sheets this season isn't good enough.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    brb likes this.

11. brb

brb CR250

Love it....ignore brb he's drunk <laugh> pmsl

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  12. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Only rational explanation for it <laugh>

brb likes this.