1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who do you want as the new manager?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Feb 2, 2017.

1. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I've watched the first half of Huddersfield V Brighton and if we could get anyone I would go for David Wagner, Huddersfield are playing terrific football the sort we never see, so if we could have anyone? Wagner!

San Diego likes this.
  2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Heart says someone like McGreal or Cowley, young up and coming managers and it appears we've gone full circle since ME has come in. The situation now does very much like the end of the Royle era.

Head says Rowett though, think he's the safe option and given the squad isn't a big big change in philosophy from Mick. The other names mentioned I think could be hot or miss

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Rowett would be a sideways step at best.
    Fans are crying out for performances/entertainment over results and his direct style will not go down very well at this point in time. We'd probably get some better results of course.
    Not saying he's a bad manager, just that it may not feel like much of a change if we bring him in.

Nuggets likes this.
  4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Good debate. I am surprised that no-one has mentioned a young talented overseas manager, apart from Weighty.

Our general obsession with old, has-beens at ITFC has been a disaster form 10 yrs now. OK, a younger, less experienced but Brit from lower league does have appeal, I would like to see fresh new footballing policy, new owners coming in, and backing a new talented experienced overseas man. High time for a radical overall of our dear Club.

Will we see it happen? Just seen a Suffolk Large White pig flying over the Sussex downs!

Nuggets likes this.
  5. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I want Tim Sherwood ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE near our football club, ex scum and one of the most arrogant pricks in the game. He was an absolute disgrace at Villa, crap at Spuds and deserves absolutely nothing.

Of the list, I'd like Gary Rowett but there is only one man I want - Daryl Clark Bristol Rovers.

Two promotions at Salisbury, back to back at Rovers and got them playing fantastic attacking footy. Absolutely class.

Sidenote * - It makes no difference if it's Mick you I or a new manager, no one is going to get backed so we're not going to do a lot.....

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The Tim Sherwood rumours were doing the rounds a few weeks back, but I'll admit it seemed to be wishful thinking by some supporters who wanted a famous face and a media presence. Not my cup of tea personally, he strikes me as being similar to Keane in a few respects.

I get the point about Evans holding back the manager and not putting the investment in. I agree with that and have been a vocal critic of Evans for some time now, but who will buy us? We can't be an attractive proposition for potential owners.

We need to rectify the immediate problem (past-it manager, poor performances and results) by changing the manager. We have a half decent squad with some good youngsters coming through. Clear out the high earners like Chambers, Berra, Knudsen, Skuse, Douglas, McGoldrick, and the reserves like Coke, and start blooding the likes of Emmanuel, Kenlock, McDonnell, Dozzell, and Morris. Make a few more astute signings (like Ward and Webster last summer), but with particular attention to left-back, centre-back, centre-midfield, and up front. Easier said than done, I know.

Realistically, with the revenue we have and the financial power / parachute payments of teams around us, the best we can hope for is an attractive, entertaining, youthful mid-table Ipswich side, trying to fight for a play off place. I truly think that's going to be our level for the next few years, but only if we make the right change.

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  7. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

I like the look of the Crowley boys, let's look to the future and give guys like these a chance
    They maybe not used to championship football but tactics are tactics whoever you play
    And please no ex town players this never works

Bigalreigned likes this.
  8. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

I agree Wagner would be good but can't see him wanting to come here. As mentioned our best bet would probably be one of the up and coming lower league managers. One thing for certain, it's a tough gig for whoever comes if anyone!

9. itfcptc

I'm not advocating the appointment of Sherwood by any means however to compare him to the dark lord is absurd and I wouldn't say he was crap at Spurs he has the best win percentage in the premier league of any Tottenham manager and he played attacking attractive football giving some youngsters such as Harry Kane a chance and Villa it's difficult to judge as lots of managers have struggled there

10. itfcptc

Who hasn't worked in terms of ex town players?

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I have been saying this since Jim was given the boot.. Paul Tisdale would be a fantastic appointment for the club

The fact he has got his Exeter side playing consistently good football with the smallest budget in the football league, brought through countless academy graduates as they have been selling off their bigger named players shows he has what it takes to work within our thrifty framework.

His loyalty to Exeter is pretty incredible given he was offered the Swansea job twice (before Rodgers and again before Laudrup, i believe) and apparently Southampton among others have touted him in the past so not sure what it would take for him to consider leaving but when he does I expect him to be a success..

Also, Darrell Clarke from Bristol Rovers would be another I'd be happy to bring in (especially if that means Marcus Stewart back in the dugouts at Portman Road) as he gets his teams playing attacking football and shown he can develop as he has gone through the leagues