1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who do we think /or hope to be the new manager

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by vinney, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

PD and Ade have a shared historical problen regarding an "expected" testimonial that never took place.
    So unless hatchetts are buried...no appointment here.

2. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Skybet have added Matthew Beard to the odds. 30 something year old who has managed both Chelsea Ladies and currently Liverpool Ladies.

3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Apparently Nathan Jones wasn't on the Brighton bench alongside Chris Hughton today. Maybe he was at Crewe watching us?

gillslad69 likes this.
  4. hullgills

hullgills Member

Ade Pennock spoke with a member of Gills Connect today and said that he has had no contact with Gillingham and is not interested managing them at this time. He met him after the Ebbsfleet v Forest Green match today.

5. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

without a shadow of doubt Neil Warnock is the best manager to save Gills from relegation, not for the long term but until the end of season. You either love him or hate him but he is proven at this level. Need someone this week!!!!

6. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I don't think he'd take the job. He took the Leeds job because it was based in Yorkshire and a club that has the ability to return to the Prem, after his sacking he then took on Palace again because they were in the Prem. He undoubtedly has connections and is a proven coach but I don't see him hankering for this position nor do I think we have the financial brawn to either have him or give him any freedom in the market.

With Kedwell's, Fish's and unfortunately Doughty's exit from the club we have opened up a pocket of potential wages for incoming players. We need a good coach to come in and make quick changes whilst not costing the earth. If we wasted the availability of wages on a new manager but had nothing for personnel I believe we would be shooting ourselves in the foot. Get Jones in.

7. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

What about Bob Peters. He's just been sacked by Charlton after doing an okay job, he's local and may appeal to a chairman that has ties to Millwall?

8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

We want more than an 'ok' manager to do an 'ok' job. We want someone who is both aspirational and inspirational..........please.

9. The Gills PegLeg

Justin Edinburgh has been the talk over the last few days. Doing a very good job at Newport County but could he make the step up? We would also have to pay compensation for him.

10. The Gills PegLeg

James Beattie has definitely applied as he told Radio 4 this morning. Justin Edinburgh hasn't been approached by the club though.

11. hullgills

hullgills Member

Apparently being reported we have asked for permission to talk with Neil Ardley but have been refused.

12. The Gills PegLeg

Yeah I saw that on Sky Sports News earlier but I can't find it anywhere else strangely.

13. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I've been struggling also. Scally's open letter suggests that our transfer/wage budget is not entirely depleted when he said that we signed every player Taylor asked for, he hasn't been afraid to pay a compensation fee to a club in the past either so it could be workable. Ardley has overseen a decent growth for Wimbledon and has interesting ideas (Akinfenwa's third term at the Gills?!), I wouldn't be negative if he was in the hot seat.

By the way I think the letter was a really smart move by Scally, the main problem (from Scally's perspective) was that a growing section of the fans were losing faith in Taylor and their abuse would have affected the squad. By sending our thoughts and choices to Scally he brings in an individual that the vast majority of the fans would be keen to have thus giving a prolonged shelf life and allowing a positive atmosphere back into the club. It's the first time I have heard a chairman pull this move and if breasts do point towards the sky, Scally would have proof that part of the choice was as much a decision by contributing fans as his own.

14. Spudleh

Spudleh New Member

Stumbled here and thought I'd share a name that might be an interesting pick if we could convince him back to the UK. Plus it'd give me a perfect club with which to improve (he was a brilliant player).

Claude Makélélé

15. The Gills PegLeg

Yesterday's programme notes stated that three more interviews outside of the UK were due and 2nd round of interviews would begin this week. Shefki Kuqi was at Priestfield watching on Saturday and Hope Powell is also rumoured to be in the mix.

16. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

So Skybet have removed the option to bet on who's going to be the next Gills manager. I guess they didn't like being left in the dark for so long!

17. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I had some odd thought that we would hear something about this today but perhaps Scally is not wishing to interrupt what is starting to be a team playing with confidence and heart. What is the liklihood that one of the four could get the job permanently now?

P.s. James Beattie is on Soccer AM tomorrow morning and he may be able to shed some light as to ongoing talks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  18. theaceface

theaceface New Member

Just heard it's Justin Edinburgh till end of thesseason

19. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

With all the respect in the world, I can't imagine Edinburgh leaving a club (that clearly wish him to remain there long term) for as little job security as a deal to the end of the season. An unattached manager, yes. A promotion chaser? No.

20. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I think you'll find that if anyone has bet on ANY one of the 'fab four' ( my younger son has two bets @33/1 ) - the bet WILL be paid if the current quartet are in 'charge' for 10 games ( 7 so far ) -- Mr.Scally has history of taking a long time over appointments, giving punters 4 chances of winning a bet.

gillslad69 likes this.