1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who can we sell and how much would we get for them?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by G4rdToonArmy, May 2, 2017.

1. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Following on from the "who can we realistically buy" thread, who do you think we can shift and how much will we be able to take other clubs for?

Saviet £35mil to Liverpool?
    De Jong £40mil to PSG?
    Haidara swap deal for Messi?

Seriously though I think a lot of our summer budget will be coming from player sales, who would you shift on to free up funds? Transfer market listings below although I don't agree with their figures but you can see who the more salable assets are:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/startseite/verein/762

2. Blacker-than-Knight

Mitrovic, whatever it takes to get rid.

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Diame (5m?), Colback (1m?), Hanley (4m?), Ameobi (1m?), Krul (3m?), De Jong (3m?), Saivet (3m?), Riviere (0m), Thauvin (8m?) Gouffran (1m?) Haidara (1m?) - you'll probably be lucky to get 25m-30m for the lot.

Most of the rest are useable in some capacity. Sadly I think we are completely reliant on funds being provided as we won't find buyers for all those. I wouldn't but perhaps Rafa might consider selling Mitrovic because he doesn't really fit with his style of play. You might get 10m-15m. The problem with that is it won't do you much good really. I think he's good I'd like to see us develop.

Keeper wise I think in an ideal world you'd get a quality one. In the real world we will have to stick with Sels, Darlow, Elliot, Woodman.

Defender wise we need a left back but you may have to stick with Dummett. Lazaar is a complete unknown. The rest Lascelles, Clark, Mbemba, Yedlin, all have a future. Anita I'm not sure what to do there. He has been awful at times. Perhaps you can add him to the exit list but he is fairly versatile? Hanley may have to stay a season. Maybe Mbabu can be of use.

Midfielder wise we have a serious issue. Shelvey and Hayden are ok. Ideally you'd have two better ones ahead of them but we probably won't have the funds. There is nothing else if we get rid of Colback, Saivet, Anita and Diame. I think we have a serious problem and I can see a situation where we have Colback, Anita and Diame remaining.

Attacking midfield - Similar problems again. Ritchie is fine. You can't really count Aarons until such a time he can keep fit. Atsu would be ok as back up. Again though I can see a situation where Gouffran has to remain due to lack of numbers. Issues remain.

Number 10's, Forward and Strikers - Mitrovic, Gayle, Murphy, Armstrong, Perez are all ok as squad players. I think they will know they have to buy a 10 and a striker this summer. That is most of your budget blown. Hence Gayle or Mitrovic might need offloaded, with the latter fitting less into Benitez plans really.

I think we have major re-building. Ideal world we offload the first list, and buy ourselves

1No Goalkeeper
    1No Centre back
    1No Right Back
    1No Left Back
    1No Holding Midfielder
    1No Centre Midfielder
    2No Wingers (one first choice and one back up)
    1No 10
    1No Striker

Reality is that will take 2-3 windows to sort out so we need to prioritise in terms of what is going to keep us up. That is the spine. So we need to get:

Holding Midfielder
    Striker
    Number 10
    Winger

I think that is the positions we can't get away without. We'd be taking a big risk going in with the 4 centre backs we have now but none of them are awful. Of course as you retain the likes of Gouffran, Hanley, Diame, Colback, then your incoming and therefore maneuvering is greatly reduced. We are in a tricky situ and at the behest of our owner again...

Seabass, Judge Death and Tol3 like this.
  4. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Firstly, if the OP is correct and we are going to rely on sales to fund purchases then we should be looking long term and prepare for the Championship again.

Diame (5m?) - less, more like £2-3m. He's really not very good but for the paltry amount we'll get I can see us hanging on to him to be honest.

Colback (1m?) - more like £2-3m too as he's had England suggestions and plenty of experience for his age so some teams would try him out. Unfortunately I think he's staying too.

Hanley (4m?) About right. I expect him to go.

Ameobi (1m?) Yup

Krul (3m?) £5m+ or he's with us next year.

De Jong (3m?) If he's fit I'd actually like to keep him. However £3m to PSV seems correct.

Saivet (3m?), Riviere (0m), Haidara (1m?) - We'd do well to get that for them. Trash.

Thauvin (8m?) I thought we had a pre-agreement for around the £10m mark?

Gouffran (1m?) Yup. To a championship side. For that money, in that league he'd be a steal.

Sels? I'm expecting him to go, £3-4m mark.

20m- 25m Is about right I suspect, depends a lot on the Thauvin deal.

5. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

tbh I'm very slightly tempted to give him another chance - playing in the more advanced role of attacking midfielder vs Cardiff he looked very good - linked up play well, dominating midfield and spotting and playing good passes. In some ways I think he did this better than Shelvey, who just seems to want to play 60 yard passes every time he gets the ball. A major issue with Colback this season is that he's been playing the defensive midfielder role (due to Hayden's absence) far too much, and this clearly isn't his preferred position and he isn't any good playing there.

I think the one's who are going to to go are glaringly obvious - Diame, Hanley, Mitro, Thauvin (haven't we agreed a sale already?), Saviet, De Jong, Sels, Haidara etc. With luck we can get back what we've paid for them, I don't think any have done anything to increase their value.

6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we're keeping Mitro. Not sure why I think it though.

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Think Gouff's contract is up in the Summer.

magpie290761 likes this.
  8. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Agree but my reading of it is £30m profit from this year, probably another £20m new funds and whatever else Rafa can generate from sales. That being said I have to stress that's just my idea. Rafa may bring Mikey a few pasty's from Greggs to sweeten him up and get £100m, I just don't know.

Personally I think we need £70/80mil minimum spend to stay up next year.

Agreed with most of the prices bandied around though as well. I think we can generate £15 million plus from sales and Ashley and Charnley have previous for extorting top bucks for what could be Sunday League footballers. It'll be an interesting/nervy summer...

9. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Presumably there will be TV money coming in as well?

10. Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck Active Member

Tim Krul - €5m
    Matz Selz - €5m (loan preferable)
    Aschraf Lazaar - €4m
    Saido Haidara - €4m
    Jesus Gamez - €500k
    Chancel Mbemba - €10m
    Mo Diame - €4m
    Siem De Jong - €6m
    Henry Saivet - €5m
    Manu Rivierre - €2m
    Alexander Mitrovic - €10m

They're in euros as the majority of suitors for the players would be abroad.

Edit:

Let's not forget that lightening the load of the wage bill is just as beneficial to the club as raking in the transfer fees we would get from the sales themselves.

11. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I'd keep hold of Mitrovic, not many st'rikers are willing to have so much bench time and do the job of just filling in when needed. I would get rid of Murphy, keep Gayle and Mitro and add another first choice striker for the season.

Do not sell Mbemba either. the guys 22 and put in a number of motm performances over the last couple of years.

If Thauvin didn't have a pre-arranged clause, I'd want £15m plus for him. He has been immense in France. Talk that Bayern are tracking him.

Anita, gouf and Sammy all to leave on a free (doubt we can offer them new deals and then sell them)

Dummett - 2-3m
    colback - 2-3m
    Hanley - 4m
    Diame - 3m
    Rolando Aarons - Loan
    Gamez - allow to leave on a free
    Murphy - again next to nothing
    T Krul - 4-5M
    Saviet - 2M
    Rivierre -2M pay someone to take him away!
    Armstrong, Sterry, Barlaser, Findlay Woodman and Mbabu - loan
    De Jong - £5m

Ayoze Perez has one more year to prove himself in my opinion, not worth selling now, he's stock could still rise.
    R.Elliot also near the sale list, but he is happy to play number two and not worth much

I canny see us making more than £20m in players sales, depending on Thauvin.

Unless, we took a gamble and sold Gayle whilst his stocks high. Could maybe get 16-17m for him from someone stupid. I think he's price could really increase if we are able to get him scoring goals in the PL though, so might be worth hanging onto.

12. Charlie Dogscock

Surely it's worth hanging on to Murphy? Regardless of people saying he's only a championship striker, he's done a good job this season when he's been called upon, if we get some injuries and a striker crisis, it makes sense to have him there as a back up. Surely this is a better idea than just letting him go for nothing or next to nothing?

13. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Totally agree - got to be a decent squad option.

Sometimes he looked like the only real footballer we have this season

14. Darkwing Duck

Darlow/Elliot, Paul Dummett, Kevin Mbabu, Jack Colback and Daryl Murphy are a decent set of squad players.

Kevin Mbabu has come along back in Switzerland and would be great for the U23 side after being promoted to the premier league 1 this season and could be handy rotation option once we begin our league cup games too.

magpie290761 likes this.
  15. Charlie Dogscock

Agree - Mbabu's up and coming and we should see hang on and see how he turns out, the others are more experienced and will be decent squad players.

Also Anita and Dummett should be retained, don't understand people wanting those 2 to leave, they've been 2 of our better players this season.

16. Darkwing Duck

Paul Dummett would make a better centre half than a full back imo and I like Vurnon but my question is would we be better off having Yedlin at right back permanently with Mbabu and Sterry coming through or do we keep Anita another year and send Sterry to Scotland with Woodman or even to the championship.

17. Toon_Man_Sam1

Rather play Armstrong or one of the young lads.

I also don't think its any coincidence that we pummelled Leeds with Mitro playing, then played Ipswich a few days later and got smashed with Murphy. Its happened all season. We play better as a team with Mitrovic, but Murphy seems to just get goals here and there. I wont deny he is probably more clinical, but I'd expect a 32 yr old striker whose spent his whole career in the Championship to be a touch more clinical than a 22 yr old lad. But overall the team plays better with Mitrovic up front.

Kryptonite and Seabass like this.
  18. Darkwing Duck

At Premier League level or even at championship level Mitro struggles alone up top and would need an out and out goalscorer alongside him to get the best out of him and Rafa never does 2 up top and always plays his favoured 4231 formation which just doesn't suit Mitro due to his lack of mobility most of all.

19. Toon_Man_Sam1

Mitro aint an out and out goal scorer, not all strikers are. Furthermore, we don't play to his strengths. Rafa's football isn't designed for Mitrovic.

However 1-0 down at home and you want to put some high balls into the box, he is a good option to have. Mitro would work well with Gayle, but Rafa has made it clear that's never gonna happen. Even 1-0 up at home, under pressure, take Gayle or (insert new striker name here) and put Mitro on to help defensively.

I like the space he creates, aerially he dominates, wins free kicks and involves other players. Plus Strikers of Mitrovic's type do not seem to reach full potential until at least 27. an owen/rashford/gayle type of striker blossoms young, whereas a Llorente/Costa/Adriuz type striker peak much later.

Some times playing upfront isn't all about goals. last year people said his temper was an issue, he seems to have resolved that somewhat and I think he deserves another shot at the big time.

id be more inclined to sell perez than Mitro.

magpie290761 likes this.
  20. Charlie Dogscock

Nah, Armstrong smashed League One, but hasn't cut it in the Champ, definitely not Prem ready, needs another season on loan in the Champ.

Mitro is decent as a support striker, taking out defenders, but can't fill the loan striker role, and unfortunately Rafa will always favour a loan striker.