1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who are bigger: Fulham or QPR

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Jul 30, 2012.

1. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I would say in terms of history and support, Fulham.

There are various threads about this on the QPr board (they seem very interested in this topic).

It would be nice to get a view from Fulham fans, who tend to be more level headed.

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Appreciate the kind words LOEW.

I'm not going to get too far into this as I'm sure the QPR wums will be along shortly, but this will be our 12th successive PL season, which - added to our Europa League run - does put us in a better position. We're by no means a big club though (not that you said as much, LOEW).

Who cares: Fulham or QPR? :)

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

As Bidley says Who Cares :emoticon-0114-dull:

It all about the criteria
    It's like a pissing into the wind contest.

4. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Fulham are not a big club, there are clubs in League One that are bigger than ourselves but that is why we love the club. We don't expect to be first on MOTD unless we're playing Utd, Chelsea, City etc. We have a small, niche stadium and a loyal fanbase which makes us great. At this moment in time, Liverpool are by no means a bigger club than say Chelsea or City but on the whole when considering history, you'd have to say they are.

Currently we are bigger than QPR due to the fact that we have been in the PL for such a long time, but overall I'd say it was a lot closer. That's about as impartial as I can be.

5. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

If QPR and Fulham were bothered about size , we probably would've joined the ranks of the Chelsea scum mugs<ok>
    Interesting tweet though!
    ==============================
    Northolt_QPR &#8207;@Northolt_QPR

Puts it in perspective Tarquin! RT @JakeSpencer1 I love how #QPR are taking 3500 fans to Wycombe, but #Fulham can only manage 300. #FFC <laugh>

6. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

It's got "QPR" in the headline, so I'm within my rights to post, before that bird 'Biddey' starts whining!

7. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Thanks for the interesting and level-headed post

8. Take Me Home Al Fayed

I think what Bandit says sums it up perfectly

9. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

No there isn't !

And no we aren't!
    please log in to view this image

<laugh>

10. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

Yeah he's good that Bandy! ;)

11. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

I think the main difference between the clubs lies in their identities. Fulham FC is a clearly defined brand (MJ statue taken out of equation), Q.P.R are starting to figure out who they are in the new era of football. For a while (as the 4 year plan highlighted) there was greater tension between the board and fans, where-as at Fulham I think we're all on the same page in terms of direction and resources. We're a fair, familiy club with an emphasis on the game and the spirit in which it is player. QPR were a family club, and to some extent still are, but have had a new 'boutique billionaire club' identify foisted on them by the previous owners.

Right now- we are the bigger club, established in the PL- involved in a European cup final- ex manager now in charge of England with two of the PL's most coveted (home based) players. QPR have got the resources to surpass us, but then we're close to getting this new stand and they are locked into a concrete jungle.

I presume the underlying reason for this debate is Hughes and his 'ambition' and whether QPR is really a step up. For him it is, because he needs a pot of money. Hughes is good at identifying talent and playing to the strengths of the team- he's not tactically astute enough to get by with what's already there.

12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Thanks SS, Fulham fans are the most reasonable and knowledgeable on 606. I wonder why!!??

QPR fans seem to be the most aggressive London fans. I don't need to wonder why that is!

13. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

Priceless! <laugh>

14. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

At first, I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but seems a legit post now.

Define bigger ... that's the first question. In terms of league success in the last the last 10 years, I can't see anyone in their right mind arguing honestly that QPR are a bigger or more successful team. But in terms of fan base ... who knows? And as several other members have said, who cares? We like our little team and our quaint stadium. I appreciate you letting us share your grounds a decade ago, and wish QPR good luck, but beyond that .. who cares?

If QPR really want to debate something, I'd start debating the sanity of considering Owen Hargreaves as a player. BZ and AJ probably have a few games left, but Hargreaves ....?

15. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Like DR, I had intended to steer clear of this disccussion. However on hearing that Fulham had been granted Academy Category 1 Status, I changed my mind for the simple reason that this is fact, as is the Craven Cottage devlopment planning approval. Both a demonstration that we have our feet firmly on the ground not our head in the clouds.

Doesn't make us a 'bigger' club than QPR, which doesn't bother me anyway since all I'm interested in is a successful Fulham. Just saying actions speak louder than words.

16. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

That's cos you ain't got a plane mate! <laugh>
    please log in to view this image

17. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I think this is the crux of the debate. If being a big club means worldwide popularity, then there are only really four or five big clubs in any country. If it's silverware, then probably the same amount, and the same for history. I don't think spending power comes into it - clubs like City and Malaga(?) are mega-rich but aren't a worldwide brand or awash with silverware (yet). In either popularity, history or silverware stakes, there's not much between Fulham and QPR, which I think is a fair reflection.

It interesting though, as clubs like Chelsea fall on both sides of the 'big club debate', depending on what criteria you use - ground size is another factor. They don't have quite as prestigious a history (last 10 years notwithstanding), Stamford Bridge isn't a massive stadium (relatively speaking), but they've just won the CL and have a fair few league titles and FA Cups to their name. The Cottage is a tiny ground, yet we're an established PL team with a good Euro cup run to our names.

I think it's such a minefield with a massive amount of subjectivity and emotional attachment that you'll never really have a cut-and-dry definition.

18. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

That made me laugh !

19. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you've written. I'd also add that the period of time in question is key- are we talking about as and now (as I assumed in my post) or taking into account the last 100+ years.

The only point I would dispute is quoted. Between QPR and Fulham fans, yes. However, removed from this, and objectively assessed in terms of established facts (silverware, attendances, revenue, merchandising) I think we could establish which is the 'bigger' club- however, as highlighted above, 'size' would need to be defined and a period of assessment set out.

Having done no research beyond re-considering the small knowledge I've accrued, I'd say we are the biggest club - on average across the four sections (I'm going to have to establish a bloody weighting system now) if we are talking the last decade- over the entirety of our histories - maybe QPR?

EDIT: on second thought- there can't be all four categories of data going back to our foundation, so prior to the mid/late 20th century it's a bit of a guess.

20. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

LF you troublemaker <laugh>