1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Whitts shutout

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Will Whitts start another game this season?

Is this yet unsigned contract offer for him a bigger problem than we think, or is it just that Warnock has found the right tempo in midfield without him?

There's no doubt Whitts has the skills but he does tend to slow the game down and that seems the opposite to what Warnock is preaching at the moment.

The emergence of Harris and Noone from the shadows has had a bigger impact on the midfield than anyone could have expected. At least Ralls and Gunnar seem to be able to hold their own centrally with the wide men's help.

The creativity and pace we've craved for so long has actually come from Harris, Noone and Hoilett. The astounding improvement in Zohore up front is bringing them into the game in a different way. It used to be accepted that a midfield distributor was the answer but with Ralls and Gunnar holding it together, those 4 up front are doing it themselves.

Of the current bench sitters, Pilks is the more likley to get a game for me with Whitts maybe confined to cameo roles.

Has Whitts started his last game for City?

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Barring injuries and suspensions that could be the case unless we are comfortable in control of a game and Colin wants to give him a runout.

Could have done that last week?

On another tack, Cairney was superb for Fulham yesterday. At the focal point of everything they did.

Ccfc4ever likes this.
  3. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for more than a few years, Whitts does not give us enough, his best was more than 5 years ago and he relied on Macca to cover him. I would have let him go when we came back down from the Prem.

4. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Its all about opinions but I cant think I saw a single game where Mcphail covered for him.

I can remember plenty of games where our midfield was completely overrun due to a weak central midfield 2 and being bailed out by a Whitts strike or the brilliance of Bothroyd and Chopra.

I agree his best years were about 5 years ago. But id still keep him on a reduced contract.

5. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It would have to be significantly reduced for us to keep him. did great things with is and will rank up there with the city legends, but all good things come to an end. . . . . . . . .

Would be better for him to leave at the end of the season than to fade away.

The way Colin is shaping things I'm starting to think he doesnt fit the game plan and he'd be more of a hindrance than a help next season. always liked Whitts but I think his time is up.

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I don't see Whitts dropping down to League 1 - he could be a fish out of water in the rough and tumble down there.

I can see him doing a good job at somewhere like Brum or Burton (if they stay up) in the Championship, and it's closer to his midlands roots.

7. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Forest done deal.<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Stevoldinho likes this.
  8. ccfcremotesupport

FACT

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Can't see it - I said he wouldn't drop down to League 1 next year......<laugh><laugh>

10. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

I'd drop our budget on him, definitely a player that deserves to be in a promotion charge

11. BluefromBridgend

If Fulham don't manage to get up I think he will be playing in the Prem next year anyway.

12. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Is that your way of saying the Bluebirds are going up BfB? That's surprisingly positive for you :grin:

13. BluefromBridgend

Been on the shandies again BT? Read it like it is. No hidden agenda.

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Do I detect an air of conflict on this otherwise amicable forum?........<laugh>

I think we have a classic case of mistaken identities here. It appears that 4ever was referring to Whitts whilst Bluey was referring to Cairney. Tiger then stepped in thinking that Bluey was referring to Whitts and not Cairney.

Bluey then got aggressive with Tiger for not realising that.

:emoticon-0146-punch:emoticon-0146-punch.......Next round please......<laugh>

15. ccfcremotesupport

Sounds like an episode of SOAP (you need to be old enough).

Confused? you will be after this week's episode. . . . . .

16. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

We said on the way out of the stadium that that game would have passed Whitt's by and our central midfield just would not have coped.

I cannot see a starting role for him in the way NW sets out his team.

Don't really miss Pilks either if I'm being honest. Still don't know what his best position is.

17. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

LOL - Could have sworn this was a thread about Whitts :angel:

Fair play though BfB was positively drooling over Cairney's play during the game

18. BluefromBridgend

The words "on another tack" were a bit of a clue for those who are hard of reading.

Bah humbug to the lot of you. :emoticon-0173-middl

19. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

We've all been on here for 4 seasons wondering how you fit Whits in the side. He's nowhere near quick enough to play wide or as an attacker in a 10 type role.

He's not quick enough or high energy enough to play central unless you pick 2 others to do the running. Then he's basically an attacker again (you don't want 3 dm's) and he's not dynamic enough.

So in summary imo, he's not quick/dynamic enough for Championship football. His set piece delivery is world class, it's not enough on it's own. If he'll take a massively reduced contract to be a bench warmer then fair enough. I think someone else might offer him more money though and I think it's likely he'll hardly figure for us again and will leave in the summer.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  20. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Have to be honest. I for one would be loathe to see him go, as he is a very very talented footballer.