1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which players would you like to leave NCFC??

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who do you want to leave NCFC at the end of this season

1. Ruddy

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Whittaker

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Martin

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Bassong

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  5. Bennett

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Mulumbu

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Lafferty

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  8. Tettey

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Naismith

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  10. Turner

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

That's the trouble canario - is how you interpret what was said!!!

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I understood it in the same way as canario. We can't afford to get rid of half the squad, as paying off contracts would be crippling. The 5 out of contract senior players will almost certainly go, and others if we get reasonable offers for them. My guess is that the squad will be smaller, with ideally two senior players and one or more young players at each position. That would mean about 24-25 senior players as 3 would be needed at striker and GK.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Which, sadly will most likely be our most pried assets.
    I fully expect activity / firm bids around Pinto, Howson, Ja Murphy and of course Pritchard :( <wah>

JM Fan likes this.
  4. RiverEndRick

That could be, Cromer, but I can't see us needing to sell. I'm not sure any of those will be interesting PL teams, though it's possible that Brighton might make a bid for Pritchard.

5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

But if we want to clear some of the has-beens who are not yet out of contract? Their remaining contract period would need to be paid, so where do we get the funds to do that as well as strengthen in badly needed areas?

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thankfully. according to today's article AP SEEMS happy to continue to play for Norwich and seeing how he and Naismith play together, I'd be happy if both were here next season.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think the Brighton "Boo Boys" on Friday night will have deterred him from ever joining Brighton! <ok>

RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  8. RiverEndRick

The sale of Olsson and Brady last January did much to balance the books and bring our wage bill down. Paying off contracts would be expensive and would greatly reduce our transfer budget. The release of 5 out of contract players will free up more wage savings for purchasing new players and we will have the last parachute payments. Looking at what is left, the priorities become clear where we lack 2 senior players and a promising youth player:

GK Ruddy, McGovern, Matthews
    RB Pinto, Martin, Godfrey
    RCB Klose (if he stays), Martin, Bennett, Efete
    LCB Klose (if he stays), ________, ________
    LB Dijks (if he stays), _______, Toffolo
    CM Howson, Dorrans, McGrandles, Adams
    DM Tettey, ________, Thompson, Godfrey
    WR Jacob M., Naismith, Jayesimi
    WL Wildschut, Hoolahan, Josh M.
    AM Pritchard, Hoolahan, Maddison
    S Jerome, Oliveira, _______, Morris

Clearly the priority is once again in defense and that will be SW's major test, with potentially as many as 5 players needed. Another striker option to replace Lafferty is the next priority and then it depends on whether the new HC feels we need another DM, given that Dorrans can play alongside Howson as well and there's Thompson and Godfrey as back-ups. Obviously, if any other players listed leave, new replacements will have to be found.

I just saw this article mentioned on the Transfer thread - it's well worth a read:

http://www.alongcomenorwich.com/articles/stuart-webber-the-interview

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good post Rick and I'd be surprised if both Martin and Hoolahan are considered as more than 'stop gap' players and there are other promising players who've either come through the Academy, or we've signed and have had regular games in the under 23s whom you haven't mentioned - Ramsay, Efete, Jamal Lewis, Grant, Adams and I feel there's an outside possibility that Middleton MAY come into the reckoning even though he's only just 17.
    We'll just have to wait and see -
    a. Who SW brings in as HC
    b. Who other than the players who're out of contract leave CR.

10. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

From what I've read it seems we are going to have a significantly smaller squad with developing players getting more involvement. I think the players out of contract will just go and not be replaced. We will then look at who is left if we want new players someone will have to go. In a smaller squad I don't see how we can justify keeping Hoolahan & Tettey who I don't think are up to playing 3 games in a week. Sorry JM but I can't see how we have room for stop gap players in a reduced squad.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    goldeneadie likes this.

11. RiverEndRick

I did include Efete and Adams JMF and I suppose Ramsey could be included at FB and Grant at CM(being out on loan he escapred my attention). Lewis looks to have potential, but I'm not sure he's close to first team football yet. The choice of HC will certainly tell us more.

I'll be surprised if we trim the senior squad drastically, canario. It's usual to have at least 2 senior players competing at every position to maintain incentive to perform as well as to cover for injuries and suspensions. The reality is that we must adjust to Championship level now, which means that we won't have money to throw about, but SW seems prepared to work towards that by lowering the wage bill and bringing in young hungry players. I hope it works.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Hardly a major shock or surprise but adios Kyle.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Let's hope he's the first of several/many??????

14. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Of the front line players I would gladly see leaving are Wes and Tetty. We fans do not like seeing our favourites being replaced, but it is time to be practical, and realistic. Both are past the height of their careers and not contributing as much as we fans would like to see. Pritchard, now that he has been given his chance, has leapfrogged Wes in the pecking order, and JM, (no, not you Mr fan) should be next in line. Like all fans, I have had my favourites over the years, but I have always tried to retain a sense of practicality about their value/contribution to the team ethos.

carrowcanario likes this.
  15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on GE - Wes has had his time as a member of the NCFC first team and the more I've seen of AP and Naismith together, the more I'm beginning to think Naismith should stay in preference to Wes and PERHAPS occasionally start with JM against less physical teams.

16. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Maybe we should just have a dedicated 'Wes out' thread so I can avoid seeing it on every other thread.
    Or, better still, we line him up and shoot him! <laugh><ok>

JM Fan and DHCanary like this.
  17. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I admire your devotion gandy, but I'm afraid his time is very close. We genuine fans will always love his contribution over the years but we can't let sentiment destroy the development of promising young players! <ok>

KIO, carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  18. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Well, you might have guessed I was on a bit of a wind-up! I assure you there's no sentiment involved.

If the others can step up to the plate, I'll be more than happy, believe me. I do thank him for what he's done, and I hope the newbies can justify their inflated prices (excluding Naismith who I'll never believe in!)

<ok>

KIO and canary-dave like this.