1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which players would you like to leave NCFC??

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who do you want to leave NCFC at the end of this season

1. Ruddy

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Whittaker

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Martin

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Bassong

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  5. Bennett

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Mulumbu

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Lafferty

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  8. Tettey

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Naismith

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  10. Turner

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read yesterday that as McGovern was one of AN's 'teacher's pets', that he has 2 years left on his contract <yikes> so McGovern can go is far more easily said than done.
    Plus, his obvious flaws were cruelly exposed at Villa Park and again at Huddersfield (on global TV <doh>) so who in their right mind would want him in their squad?

JM Fan likes this.
  2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it'll cost us to get rid of him and a lot of the hangers on, but if we are going to move forward we are going to have to grasp the nettle and get rid of deadwood even if it cost us. The alternative is to build a squad for the future on the baises of keeping those that cost us the most and get rid of those that cost us the least. That isn't going to get us a young motivated squad that can get us out of the championship and become an establish PL club. It's going to maintain the stagnation of the current squad and probably see us relegated not promoted. I don't think that's what Webber signed up for.

3. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

His contract is until :30.06.2019, so we'd have to pay his wages until then or get him to agree to walk away 'by mutual consent'. I can't see either happening, sadly. Plus, if we had to sell players to buy new ones last time around, how / why would it possibly be any different now? Ain't no sugar daddy in sight.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I find it quite shocking that McGovern was offered a 3 year contract primarily based on his exploits at the Euros, but then AN seemed quite adept at offering lucrative contracts to players he should never have signed in the first place!!!
    Hopefully that's all in the past and it does look as though we could well be lumbered with several players, as I agree that I can't see other clubs wanting to take them and they won't want to leave for a reduction in salary. <doh>

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Webber spoke of 15 new players at Huddersfield as the catalyst for their much better season, and arguably we'd need the same. I agree the funding is the bit that's problematic. To try and take on that challenge:

Step 1: All out of contract players leave - Ironically I spoke of the need for a nuanced approach on the first page of this thread, but I don't think there's any avoiding this. Lafferty, Turner, Whittaker, Bassong, Ruddy, Bennett, Mulumbu all have to go. Fundamentally they're on too much money for them to be benchwarmers, and they shouldn't be starting in a promotion-chasing squad, so all must go. You can make a case for Ruddy and Bennett perhaps, but given the need to free up wages we've got to take the chance to do so here.

Step 2: Sell those that want out - The two names I've got in this category are Pinto and Klose, who have both expressed an interest in leaving. Given Dijks seems more committed to playing in the Premier League than for Norwich City, I can't see him having the right attitude if we're off-course for promotion next season, so I wouldn't look to retain him despite his obvious talent. Pinto in particular it'd be a shame to lose, but we need to make money in order to bring signings, and if we could get £6m+ for him, I think we'd have to consider it.

Step 3: Sell the crown jewels - I loathe this suggestion even more, but I think we've got to consider the value Jacob Murphy brings to the squad, versus what we could do with £15m or so. Huddersfield under Webber/Wagner played 4-2-3-1, so it wouldn't surprise me if we maintain that system into next season. Webber will have players in mind to suit that system that he could have signed for a Huddersfield promotion tilt, as will our own scouting setup. A radical change would mean a lot of fresh groundwork we don't have the time for. Given that the midfield 3 doesn't necessarily contain two wingers, and on top of Jacob we have Pritchard, Josh, Naismith, Wildshut and Jarvis who can play in those roles, I think Jacob might have to be sacrificed for the sake of the squad. Or perhaps we can sell Josh under Jacob's name and hope nobody spots the switch...

Step 4: Plug the gaps

GK: McGovern, Rudd, Jones (Matthews)
    RB: None
    CB: Martin
    LB: None (Toffolo)
    Holding Midfield: Howson, Tettey, Dorrans, Thompson (Godfrey)
    Wide Midfield: Josh, Naismith, Wildschut, Jarvis, Pritchard
    CAM: Hoolahan, Maddison (Andreu)
    ST: Jerome, Oliveira (Morris)

Starting purely with plugging the gaps in a hypothetical squad, 8 signings are necessary. 3-4 full backs (+/- Toffolo), 3 Centre Backs and a reserve striker (possibly Morris). If all 11 senior players I've suggested leave do so, that should leave us plenty of wages for 8 newcomers. Plus around £25m for transfer fees from Murphy, Klose and Pinto leaving. That's workable.

Step 5: Improve what we have

Once we've signed a whole new defence, only then can we realistically turn to the other issues with our squad, and this might have to be dictated by who we can sell. Unless the new setup regard Rudd as capable of being our number 1, then we probably need to make a saving there and recruit a new goalkeeper. Ideally McGovern could be sold, but I suspect that'll be tricky. Beyond that a third genuine option up front would be lovely, and a starting central midfielder wouldn't go amiss, but to get all of that done is going to require Webber to work miracles.

In terms of a clearout, I think Martin, Tettey, Jarvis and Naismith are probably the players least wanted by the fans, but I'm not sure we'll manage to shift them and sign somebody of comparable quality (<yikes><laugh>) this summer.

JM Fan and chinacanary like this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

From the poll in the OP, it seems many are in favour of retaining Ryan Bennett. But in recent weeks, since he's been playing regularly, he has cocked up every single time he's worn the shirt - and to think Martin, Bassong and even Klose have had flak this season. RB is a weak link and needs replacing urgently, imo <ok>
    Watch him (painful, I know) rooted to the spot and then shrugging as Fulham beat a static defence to score the third. They should really have had another goal just prior to that, when our defender (Martin or Bennett, I couldn't see) was robbed but the Fulham player fluffed a one-on-one with Ruddy.

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I have to agree Cromer that RB certainly has been 'the weakest link' on the rare occasions he's played recently and was wholly responsible for conceding a needless penalty and I'm sure when Archant conducted a similar poll, RB to stay was about 60-70% if my memory serves me right!!! <doh>
    I'd like Klose to stay, but who knows who will still be in the squad by the end of next month?????

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Hmm, the 'let's impress the new gaffer as we could be playing for our futures' didn't last long.
    Conceding twice in the second half despite playing the entire 45 mins with 11 vs 10! <doh>

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Boy, ain't that the truth!!!!<rofl>

10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Much will depend on SW and the new HC, but their starting point will be something like that I posted on the Summer Transfer thread:

IMO, we need two established players at each position plus a youth player as well. From our present squad:

GK Ruddy, McGovern, Rudd or Matthews
    RB Pinto, Martin, Ramsey
    CB Martin, Bennett, Effete
    CB Klose (if he stays), New Player, Godfrey
    LB Dijks(hopefully), New LB, Toffolo
    CM Howson, Dorrans, McGrandles or Adams
    DM Tettey, Thompson, Godfrey
    WL Wildschut, Naismith, Josh Murphy
    ACM Hoolahan, Pritchard, Maddison
    WR Jacob Murphy, Jarvis, Jaiyesimi
    S Jerome, Olivera, New Player, Morris

That list is notional and if any player on it leaves (in addition to the 5 senior players out of contract plus possibly Ruddy and Bennett as well) then the 3 new players indicated will need to be increased accordingly. It may be that SW will identify new younger players who will take precedence over the youth players indicated above and possibly other senior players will leave and have to be replaced, but until they do we won't know how that might go. My preference would be for quality at the key positions (CB, LB, Striker) rather than a massive clear out. Although I've listed Martin as first choice CB, I don't think he will be because if we recruit a new left-sided CB, Klose (or his replacement) would shift to right-sided CB alongside the new left-sided CB. Early days, but that's how I see it.

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

13. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Nearly all of them.

JM Fan likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

See the link on Cromer's post #51

15. Forgot_My_Lines

I don't want to.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. Forgot_My_Lines

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Thanks JM. A lot on here wouldn't have taken that as a joke.

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I effing didn't! <grr>

;)

18. Forgot_My_Lines

Awww....

:emoticon-0110-tongu

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Interesting observations on Russell Martin in today's MFW offering.

Have to agree - come in number 5, your time is up <ok>
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...and-through-without-doubt-but-is-that-enough/

20. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

IMO, Martin is starting because he's a better option than Bennett. If we had a strong left-sided CB, Klose would play on the right side, being right-footed and Martin wouldn't start. That has been the main problem throughout, as Bassong, after a good first year, has not been good enough recently. I'd like to see us go for Magnusson, a 24 year old Icelandic international currently at Bristol City, to replace Bassong.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.