1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which Clubs Going Down With Rotherham?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Hilts24, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Not unhappy at that: -

a. Don't have Sky or BT for that matter.
    b. The Forest and Wurzels games this season apart, we have rarely done well when live on TV in recent seasons.
    c. Live on tv = reduced home attendances

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am unhappy at that.

a. Do have Sky and for that matter BT as well.
    b. City not doing well on TV is mythical and more in the mind than fact.
    c. Away games would be good for everyone who can't travel. Real supporters go to home games if they're on the tele or not. The financial loss of the missing occasional fans at home is more than compensated by the Sky TV revenue received.

d. Don't be such a bloody MOG!!..........<laugh>

3. BluefromBridgend

4 times on Sky this season including losses to Bristol Rovers (dire) and Leeds so not so mythical - and that's just this season. I can't be bothered to look further back but being a regular attendee at home, I know we have regularly failed to perform in front of the cameras at CCS.

I agree away games on tv is good for those who can't go to the game but home televised games sap the attendance and thus reduce the atmosphere which hardly existed anyway until recent weeks. I don't know what we get paid for televised home games but it probably exceeds the loss of revenue from those not turning up. However, bums on seats also help generate atmosphere which has its own value.

There is nothing worse than seeing any sport on tv in front of a half (or worse) empty stadium. Think Ospreys at the Liberty on Friday night games as an example (not that I watch egg chasing much). For some games the main entertainment was spot the crowd and often there appeared to be more ball boys than spectators.

For our example, look at the Fulham cup game - more atmosphere at a Titanic Survivors Reunion Meeting!!! Not representative of most of our league games I know but it cannot be ignored. To be honest, I can't remember if it was on tv.

Anyway, I am a bloody MOG and proud of it!!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Missing the point about our standard of play Bluey. It is a myth - being poor in games on the tele is nothing to do with it being on tele - we're just poor at the time.

Agree about half empty stadiums being a big turnoff but that's more to do with club supporters (or lack of them) than the TV coverage although I do accept that it affects it. I hadn't noticed depleted crowds at Newcastle and the others when they've been on the box - that says more about particular club supporters than anything else.

Everyone likes success and the only way we'll get anywhere near fillng the CCS is to make the football played there both attractive AND successful.

BTW, I've known you to be a MOG for a while now - I think I started the club about 3 years back when Slade joined us.....<laugh> <ok>

5. BluefromBridgend

Always knew you were a founder member Sparks. It's not 3 years ago that Russell arrived is it? Bloody hell.

Anyway, all that was a bit of joshing. If you wanted a real rant you should see the e-mail I just sent my accountant who said in a public forum that pensioners should contribute more towards tax and national insurance. I've suggested he shouldn't leave the house for a few weeks in case he was spotted by the local Hell's Grannies on their mobility scooters. But I can't be too hard on him as he's taking me out for lunch in April.

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just checked on Slade Bluey - October 2014 he came to us and it seems an age ago now.

Your accountant has a point though Bluey - Masky is getting away with bloody murder.........<laugh>

..........and remember pal - there's no such thing as a free lunch. If your accountant is anything like my auditors used to be before I kicked it all into touch - they'll get it back 10 fold. <ok>

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Why the heck is Derby v QPR on<confused>

The last 2 fixtures haven't been announced yet; may well feature in one of those - Newcastle & Huddersfield

8. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Looking like an exciting end of season.

I dont think 50 points will be enough.

I think it could be anyone with 45 points and downwards. Id say the most likely is now Burton.

Burton and the Wurzels have the worst squads but the wurzels have Abraham. Just think Warburton will improve Forest enough. Big boost for them with that last gasp leveller.

Blackburn have a better team than Burton and the wurzels but i think the Venkys have dragged their fanbase down.

Burton down for me. Id rather Forest went as they look are the only ones down there who could mount a challenge next season.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Getting beaten at home back to back by the Wurzels and Villa must send Wigan down. With the rest around them picking up points, only a miracle will pull them out of the bottom 3 now.

The 3 clubs with 45 points already on the board, Brum, Ipswich and Wolves should be OK - a point a game will definitely keep them up. It's one from the four below to make up the 3rd on the trap door.

Blackburn are good enough to pull clear especially now under Mowbray and Burton will battle till the end despite that reverse yesterday.

Forest have to turn it around quickly and maybe Warburton can do it with still 8 games to go. His problem will probably be convincing a currently ramshackle outfit that they're good enough to do it.

I know they have Abraham back but the Wurzels were crap with him before he got injured and still dropped like a stone. I don't think that win against Huddersfield (the scoreline flattered them) was representative of their form - they look very fragile to me.

I'll still take the Wurzels to finish in that 22nd spot.

10. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Wigan and Burton are worse than us

11. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

Burton aren't, Burton look solid defensively but have trouble scoring goals, you would be decent however you have no midfield

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

In the month of April Newcastle Championship games will be televised 4 times.

So we're going to be on Sky at last - and guess who against - Newcastle. <doh>