1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where's the match thread for tonight?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tiddler, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

I was wondering that...

Just on my way now. First trip to Emirates and in upper tier so really looking forward to it <ok>

If it's because you lot don't care about this cup you may as well just let us win :bandit:

What sort of team will you put out? I imagine it will be stronger than the Reading game but how much stronger...

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Hmm... I didn't even know we were still in this competition until I heard on the radio this morning :S

4. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

So is this becoming the match thread then?

Oxo is such a slacker mod <whistle>

5. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Second string players getting some game time and lots of youth in the match day squad. Should be a chance to see some new faces.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Really good finish from Southampton there.

I was hoping we would ease into the game and try and control possession while the new look line up settled which seemed to be going to plan until they get a chance and bury it...

Not much in terms of fire power on the bench to turn this around if those on the pitch don't respond.

7. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

Looks like it will be a long night!

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Sigh.

This two DM's system just does'nt work for us. Also Ramsey is infuriating. I would sooner have Wilshere in the line up at least he can carry the ball forward

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Wow, we really got ZERO threat going forward.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Is this a sign of you not taking the competion seriously? Won't matter soon as you're going out.

11. omogooner

Game over.

12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I thought there was a foul on Jenkinson in the build up there but very well taken shot to score. Both goals have been very well placed.

Southampton have basically scored when they attack and otherwise sat back while we have had possession. Not enough penetration in the final third.

13. omogooner

It is men against boys out there. I feel for the Arsenal fans who have braved the cold weather to watch such inept display and poor team selection. I did predict a 2-1 loss, think we will be lucky to get nought at this rate.

14. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Given the squad selection I think it's obvious this competition is being seen as a way to give game time and develop youth rather than a competition we are giving any kind of priority. We've just had a string of big games and we've got a league game followed by a CL fixture coming up. We needed to rest players for the more important fixtures.

15. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

What team selection would you have gone with? Fans have been banging on about resting players over the last few weeks and this is the obvious chance.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I don't think you win enough to take any competion lightly, you should have a good enough squad to compete on all fronts.

17. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Don't think we win enough games or enough trophies?

We have a good squad but we also have a string of injuries at the moment so need to keep players fresh for our more important games. If we play a full strength team today and pick up more injuries or players are looking tired at the weekend then we damage our chances at going for the bigger prizes.

The league cup fixtures congest important parts of the season while other big games are going on. It's ok for teams like Liverpool and Utd who don't have proper European fixtures to worry about <whistle>

18. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Xhaka already looking like he will play the ball forward more than our other midfielders, think he could have a part to play if we have any chance of getting back into this. Oxocube will be on at some point to chase the game as well.

Tbh Southampton are defending well and getting numbers behind the ball. With a two goal lead I can't see them over committing players even when they counter so I think it will be a big ask for this team to recover and get 2 goals.

Most likely result now is a Southampton win but hopefully we throw everything at them in the second half. Good chance for someone to show what they are capable of.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Trophies.

We rotated and so should you, you have a half decent side of but they don't seem up for it.

20. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

In the last few seasons we've won as many trophies as anyone else (more than anyone else if you count the mighty community shield) in the league but we haven't won either of the big prizes, the CL or league which is what the fans really want us to push for.

It's been clear in recent weeks that some players have been needing a rest so it was always going to be a second string, and with our current injuries that means fringe players and youth. It's also a chance for us to give the youth some competitive game time.

The team out there should be good enough to compete in this game but Southampton have defended well and scored with both of there chances. We haven't had enough penetration in the final third either.

luvgonzo likes this.
  21. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I really want to see more of Adelaide, great bit of skill in the box in the first half and was unfortunate it didn't lead to a chance, but think he is the most likely option to make way for Oxocube unless we go for Oxocube at RB again, but I think that's less likely with youth on the pitch.

Can't see much else on the bench!