1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where would we like to see the Club in (say) 5 and 10 year's time?.......

Discussion in 'Watford' started by vic-rijrode, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

Yeah but think of the fun annoying all those up there, you get to take your mates in there, it would be a riot<party>

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You get a better bottle of wine up there H ;)

3. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

That's why I'd still want to keep the season ticket. May fancy a 'posh' day now and again, or treat friends to a day out, but most of the time I'd still want to be in the Rookery <ok>

4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

:) <ok>

5. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

How much are Exec boxes these days, and how many they hold? Maybe we should hire one for a Not606 meet up lol

6. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

lol ooh i have no idea! Good plan! i think lol....or maybe all the free seats around me in the Rookery? ;)

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agree with you Vic about the enormous difference in funding now and then - the Premiership is a rich boys club - although a few smaller clubs like Wigan, charlton and Bolton have been able to have some seasons on the trot there. You are dead right about no longer being able to ratain a quality player for long at a "lesser" club - even the likes of Aston Villa who rank 5th overall in Premiership history cannot hold Ashley Young for example

Never watched away games in Keen's day - probably for the best - but part of my point was that you can enjoy football whatever the division if you play attractive football - there are good games in all divisions.

8. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I've just come across this thread. How things, and expectations change. We have, at least, got a four sided ground now!

andytoprankin likes this.
  9. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

wow, great find! Good to see i didn't set my sights too high :) Expectations achieved!

Sad to see all the people who have left the board though...

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agree with both points H. I think we have met orexceeded every one of our ambitions.

So, so many different posters used to take part in that first year or so - it meant you could have genuine football related conversations without knowing in advance what each of us were thinking. Sad to say there are now less than a dozen people who post comments on here - the quiz, Friday afternoon and WPL league get a few hits but our total community has really shrunk. I wonder where they went?

11. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

I reckon a lot of it is down to the improvements in tracking/monitoring/logging workers' browsing habits in the office. I could, in a few clicks, see what the top 20 visited websites are for any user in my company are and if they're work-related or not.

Which is why I'm posting from my phone right now <cool>

Hornette_TID likes this.
  12. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

GT - a man of great wisdom - reckoned that WFC should expect to be a top 30 club. Anything above that was unrealistic. This was during his first reign i.e. before Premiersh*t nonsense was foisted on us all. I think he reckoned our drawing power/catchment/tradition limited us to 30000 and that + the older traditions of (say) Aston villa, who got 30000 when in old Div 3, (and Newcassel Wolves Brum Derby Forest - goodness me how well are we doing considering where they are!) would enable them to go above us when they weren't in a mess.
    I think our sights are now more like Premiership always, top 10 regularly and top 4/6 every 3rd/4th season. At least I think that is the Pozzo's ambition and I would certainly settle for that - especially seeing the ground now. Mind you, having been shifted 17 seats further away from the centre to cater for more hospitality- I'm now in line with 6-yard box- it's not all good news!
    The Pozzo's ambition is realistic, as the crowd limit is less relevant 'cos of TV. (And was more relevant in GT's day).
    The other issue however is the young player development. The problem we have is that having got into the prem, our academy was operating at/below Championship level. It takes 5+ years to attract, develop retain! young players good enough for the higher level onve you have got there. That's why we don't have any in the first team just now. So, if we have 1 or 2 from the academy playing in first team in 5 years that would be a good result for me.

brian_66_usa likes this.
  13. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

this IS a gem of a thread.

What ever criticism is levelled at the Pozzos is underserved. We are stronger now than ever.

It is unreal really.

14. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Financially sound, honest, community, family club with strong ethics.
    Top 10 most seasons.
    Occasional foray into Europe (debilitating usually).
    A cup win or 2.
    A Watford player in the England team
    An academy player in the England team (Have we already had A Young, J Barnes, L Blissett?)
    More air time on MOTD/Sky/BT.
    Shut the likes of Hansen, Lineker et all up.
    No one will ever think we are a cheap 3 points to be had.
    Troy Deeney captain of England.....<magic>

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Scully, you forgot that D James came through our youth system. I don't think that you can count Barnes as he signed from non-league Sudbury Court (was the transfer fee a new set of kit?).
    According to what I've been told, the changes to the Town Centre are horrendous. Don't forget the issues SEJ had when trying to get us a new stadium in the 80s and I think it's highly unlikely whether the Council will back a new ground, whatever it's political composition. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pozzos sounded the Mayor out about the possibility of a new ground before going ahead with the work on the Vic.
    In answering the question, as long as there is a WFC with the players putting in 100% effort every time they take the field, that'll do me. I think that where we are should be pretty much where everyone else has said.

16. Scullion

My detailed knowledge of club players Is not as detailed as most of you so I stand corrected,thanks HSB. In my defence I was abroad in the 80's and missed some good times.

17. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

It is a shame so many have left but it is inevitable when one site is stronger than another. Some, including me, still frequent here but if you post something sometimes nobody responds for a day if at all.

An example on another Watford site compared to here is that the Arsenal match here had 4 pages whilst the other site had 21 pages + a live 'shoutbox' (a bit like rolling text and not for me or the faint hearted!). It has had a Pereyra thread that is up to 70 pages and a Forestieri thread (since he left!) of 69 pages. These are just examples of traffic to give you an idea why most that did frequent this board don't anymore.

Nothing can change that; it's still much more pleasant to comment on here but so few now read or write regularly.

18. Scullion

And when the Pozzo's finally move on we get new owner's who are just as committed as they! Hopefully the Pozzo's will create a lot of descendants however!

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,
    Sure, there is more traffic elsewhere, but I think more unity and togetherness here.
    Also the Prediction thread is as busy as it ever was on 606 or here. I would guess we have many more unjoined readers here, too. Which is where our new blood has to come from.
    Even if we don't get a direct response, our comments are read by our community of posters and many more.

20. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I would welcome a few more members too...