1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where were you 30 years ago?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, May 20, 2011.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yes I know! But its often nice to look back and reflect on some of the high points of supporting our beloved Ipswich! Lets face it guys sadly we haven't experienced many high points during the last 10 years!

On this day 30 years ago we were crowned UEFA Cup winners after a thrilling performance in Amsterdam against a very good AZ side. Unfortunately I was sitting my exams so I couldn't go but my Dad and his mates went. I watched the highlights on About Anglia and the Johnny Wark (who else!) volley secured us the cup.

Looking back although we deservedly won a major trophy that year we should have at least won the League as well. We beat the eventual champions, Aston Villa, 3 times that year only to finish second. The Disapointment of the FA Cup semi (Beatties last ever game for Town) meant that we just had to win the European trophy!

What are your memories of that magical day in Amsterdam?

2. billypockets 606

At the age of 28 I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye!

3. johnnywarksmoustache

Hey Billy

I'm sure the birth rate in Suffolk went through the roof 9 months after! <laugh>

4. billypockets 606

my parents aren't from ipswich so that counts that out! and they don't really like football either

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I have no idea, I was not quite two years old.

6. cheddyblue

cheddyblue Member

I was 14 at the time and I remember I had to listen to it on the radio and jumping around the room when we scored but being nervous from 2-2 onwards until the final whistle. Going to school the following day I had added to my FA cup winners adidas bag with UEFA cup winners in Tipex. It looked s#it but got the message across.
    Years later whilst on holiday I played tennis with a foreigner chap in Wales who turned out to be Johnny Metgods' brother who was there with Terry Medwin and his son.Terry played in Spurs double winning side and bought along his medals to show my kids - nice touch and a top,top bloke -his son was playing for Swansea (I think ) at the time.
    I do remember Metgods brother (sorry can't remeber his name) saying that AZ really believed that they would win even after the first leg defeat and after they lost they still felt they were the better team.

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I was 17 and skived off 6th form at Northgate to go to Amsterdam with my dad and brother.We got the overnight ferry from Harwich-not much sleep!Arrived in Amsterdam early morning and wandered round enjoying the sights and a few beers!
    My memory of the actual game is pretty hazy(!) -I remember the ground being an old open air Olympic stadium ,a bit run down and there was segregation between us and the AZ fans.All in all it was a nervy evening with AZ running us very close and having lost out on the League and FA Cup it was a great relief to get a Trophy in the bag.Even less sleep on the return ferry!
    The whole 80/81 season was a rollercoaster-(when isn't a Town season?) but it's amazing to think what was achieved with such a small squad-glorious days

8. johnnywarksmoustache

9. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

JWM,

We went to the first leg, (3 nil win). Could not get to the away leg, but had to watch loads of my mates go.
    Listened to the away leg on the radio.

10. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Remember sitting just off the pitch (actually on the grass behind the goal line) when I was much, much younger. Once I was right next to the post - North stand end - with loads of other youngsters to my right. My son never believed that it happened but I recall some kind soul posting a link on 606 which showed film of a similar occassion at PR.

Given that the old grey matter is dissolving fast, I often think that one such occassion was when we beat Man Utd 4-0 (?) but I think I may be getting a bit confuddled because that was probably much later.

11. sanpedro

sanpedro Member

30 years!...............how is that possible?
    Went to the home leg, sat in the upper East stand (Cobbold) couldn't go to the second leg, i'd just turned 16, so i listened to the game on radio 2 (is that right?) over the park with my mates (mostly Liverpool fans..well they would be living in Essex, wouldn't they!).
    Well deserved that we at least won that, we really should have won the league that year.
    Wasn't that the year we beat Man Utd 6-0. And missed three penalties? ....No that was the year before, but well worth repeating!!

12. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

i was there!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

like bigalreigned, i "took time off" from school to go, remember being absolutely confident that we would lift the cup that night...

the ferry trip across, the wall of police meeting us off the ferry, actually meeting my mates outside the stadium at the correct time and place, the early goal putting it beyond doubt, the final whistle, the presentation, the seemingly non stop party on the ferry back, going to school the next day, bleary eyed, but having to be there coz i knew my mates who hadn't been able to go would want to know all about it...

you just had to be there!!

you should have gone, JWM, you could have always retaken those exams...

<cheers>

13. johnnywarksmoustache

One of my biggest ever regrets Welly!

I went to the FA Cup final but I missed the UEFA Final 2nd Leg due to a geography exam which I failed miserably! <laugh>

At least we have some wonderful memories unlike our deadly rivals up the A140 in Cambridge! <ok>

14. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

At least we have some wonderful memories unlike our deadly rivals up the A140 in Cambridge!

i'm sure that in 29 years time they'll be remembering their "League 1 Champions" year in similar threads to this...

<whistle>

15. oztown

oztown Member

JWM I was 16 at the time and went to both legs. We got the ferry over the day before from Harwich, I remember the trip over was mayhem, guys trying to launch lifeboats etc. We slept on a park bench in the Hook that night then up next to Amsterdam the next day and what a day that was. Funnily enough we ended up going to the game with about 10 Man City fans who we had met in a bar, they had gone over to support "the english side", the rest is a bit of a blur to be honest, slept for two days when I got home though.