1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where to sit in the Ground?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Markus Liebherrs Red Army, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

A random thread, but I was wondering where the users on not606 sit/stand in St Marys (if at all, but I shall not judge), and the reasons for choosing that location, and their opinion of the matchday experience there. If you are not a season ticket holder, where do you try to get tickets for when you attend games, and why?
    Personally, I stand at the top of Block 42, as in my opinion it is the most atmospheric part of the ground, the banter is excellent, the view down the pitch is as good as it gets for being behind a goal, and I can welly the boarding behind us to get that atmosphere going. Banter with the away fans is unmissable. Good load of lads up there, it is never boring. For me, when I have sat in the Chapel for a cup game I did love starting a couple of minor songs and a little banter with the 'residents' of the quiet stand, but my memories of any games there as a youngster are rather...dull. The Itchen and Kingsland are okay for me, but there is no better place to be than the Northam, particularly when it is you that gets those songs going.
    Anyway, what is your matchday experiences inside the ground?

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Firstly you have to understand that I am of the older persuasion and female so that influences my seating choice. I choose to sit where I used to have a season ticket (before I started working alternate Saturdays). I chose near the midline in the Kingsland because I like that view of the game i.e. as shown on TV. I chose the Kingsland because I considered the direction of the sun (I kid you not) and didn't want it in my eyes. I chose the row because I wanted to be protected from rain. Well, you did ask!

3. bambi

bambi Member

I'm with you on this one. I don't have season ticket but go to almost every home games and have already got tickets for leyton orient away and plymouth away. I prefer to sit in the Northam, but really didnt like the view right up the top, so I tend to get my tickets about 3/4 of the way up as far to the away fans as possible as I love a bit of banter! Who doesn't!

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I sit about half way up block 34 in the Kingsland. The view of the game is pretty good, the atmosphere is fairly lively, and as Fran said you don't get rained on....which is nice.
    I've been there 2 seasons now, and will probably renew the same seat. I've sat in the Itchen North, Itchen centre and even the Chapel, but prefer it where I am. There aren't masses of singers around but the noise is still good.

5. SFCbwSFC

SFCbwSFC Member

Where to sit in the Ground?
    On a seat <laugh>

6. JWP is the goal king

JWP is the goal king Active Member

I sit in the Itchen stand, block 5. Great view of the goal by the northam and i can still get a clear view of the chapel end, im only in row G so not too far back. I go down to the tunnel most games and Adkins comes over to mingle with the fans most of the time. However at the Sheffield game, it got a bit out of hand because a fan was shouting at Adkins as to why he played Butterfield instead of Richardson. He simply said 'competition for places' and then walked off. That is a quote i wholely agree with, altough i do prefer Richardson, but if somone is doing a good job, then who am i to complain ?

7. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

I think that the sun is probably the reason that the Kinsgland stand is virtually always full whilst the Itchen is two-third to a half full! Others will be jealous of your perfect location for watching the Saints when we are back in the Premier League and coming to St Marys is the attraction of a saturday afternon again, and they are sat moping in the Itchen and being blinded!

8. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

I was waiting for that. Thus "stand/sit" for you wisecracks. However I do know that many of us have taken a particular fancy to the concourses below, so a lot of you stand at the football much more than you admit. We need terracing back so all of that Carlsberg Tetley gets burnt off.

9. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

You guys by the tunnel certainly can help with getting the gossip of touchline tension! Close up is :emoticon-0126-nerd: taller than he seems, as I saw him in Hedge End Sainsburys once and he seemed much taller than he does from the top of the Northam...:emoticon-0112-wonde...not that it matters <laugh>

10. sotonstu

sotonstu Member

im not a STH but when i attend games me and the nipper get tickets for chapel end right behind the goal
    1) he loves trying to catch the ball when players warm up shooting.
    2) all the goals seem to happen down chapel end
    and 3) he loves the possibility of seeing himself on the highlights show when the goals go in.

11. JWP is the goal king

JWP is the goal king Active Member

you see the problem with the chapel is that there is no atmosphere

12. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Kingsland Block 35 - STH!

Great seats and atmosphere good, brilliant banter between us and Northam Stand

13. Gonch

Gonch Member

Kingsland Block 33 half way up, end of the aisle near to block 34. Perfect for piss stops after too many pre match ales, good view, but most importantly a good crowd immediately around us with lots of good banter. That's what makes the difference.

Oh yeah, we also have THE most angriest fan in SMS about 5 rows in front. Even if we're 4 up, he's still apoplectic with rage. Hilarious to watch - when Andy D'Urso ref'd, he was sooo angry he couldn't even finsh his sentences. All he could do was scream 'Oyyyyy D'urssssso...' and shake his fist. For the whole game.

We still randomly shout 'Oyyyy D'Ursssssso....' if we're bored and Mr Angry's 'on fire', even if D'Urso isn't reffing. If you sit near us and hear this, don't worry we're not mental, just taking the piss out of Mr Angry <laugh>

14. beanysaint

beanysaint Member

STH Block 42. Atmosphere, sightlines, banter with away fans makes for a great viewpoint!

15. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

STH BLOCK 41 JJ

Wouldnt sit anywhere else as i love the atmosphere.

Sat in chapel once and my friend was asked to be quiet coz some old boy had a headache
    Sat in Itchen a few times but has become a little poorer since the open corners
    Kingsland has given me a chance to have a better view as if on TV for some lesser games in the past

Each to their own though

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Middle of the Kingsland, row AA... playing "stand up sit down" with the stewards in the Northam is not my style. Middle of the stand, best view of the game, no dramas.

17. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

We never sit down so that is not a problem. The main friction is when some of us stand on our seats when celebrating or just singing, but its bloody amazing looking down on everyone else as they dance, jump, sing and generally go nuts.

18. evolution of saints

evolution of saints Active Member

Why would you not want the sun??? Just wear a pair of sunglasses ?? and also in the sun would be alot warmer??

19. Markus Liebherrs Red Army

Even with sunglasses it is not easy to watch football with as glare of brightness in your face, particularly when the ball is in the air (which naturally occurs rather a lot in League One). I would love to see an Itchen stand full of fans wearing sunglasses, however :emoticon-0103-cool: Plus if you find yourself cold in the ground, come and join us standing in the Northam, it really can be nice and snug in the winter (until all you miserable bastards go down for pints on the 44th minute and I have a tumbleweed for company in my row).