1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by white_gunner, Apr 11, 2017.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

If Wenger stays there's a good 90-95% chance he WILL make the top fur next time round. This has been his worst Season but on a statistical basis alone it was bound to happen at some point.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You don't think everything has changed?
    I don't recall this **** happening in any of Wengers previous 20 other seasons. The fighting, the protests.....a corner has been turned.

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

One of the most absurd posts I've ever read. Statistics? Assuming a random nature of league finishes (which it obviously isn't)... But assuming it was, you are aware that each season is mutually exclusive and doesn't affect the next? Flipping a head doesn't make it less likely to be a head the next time you flip a coin.

Arsenal under Wenger in 2015/16 were largely toilet and finished 2nd because other teams were even worse.

Arsenal under Wenger strengthened in the 2016 summer window splurging millions on Xhaka, Mustafi And Perez.

Arsenal under Wenger in 2016/17 are still largely toilet even with those signings and will finish much worse than 2nd because other teams are not as toilet as last year.

If Wenger stays we can predict, given last performances of our manager, that we'll likely spend a large amount of money in the summer and still be largely toilet in 2017/18.

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I really do have to see the maths that lead to the final probability being 0.9 - 0.95. :)

5. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

This season was an accident waiting to happen, ALTHOUGH it wasn't an ACCIDENT, it's been coming for the past 5-6 years. We have been under performing year on year and at last Wenger has been found wanting, not gloating, just saying!

6. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

You gotta love these Wenger optimists. They really don't see that something has changed, within Arsenal and with other teams. I agree that we haven't changed much from last season, despite strengthening with new players and with less injuries (with the exception of Cazorla). The big difference from last season is everyone has got better and we haven't. The players are now feeling the pressure of getting top 4, something that they are not used to. Well unless it's the PL or CL then they are always bottling it.

7. TheBear

No I dont think anything has changed really. Wenger is exactly the same as he has been for a good 10-15 years now. This Season has just been his worst in terms of performance level. If I was a betting man I would put money on him finishing top four next Season for sure. Do I think he will win the League?..Nope but that's a whole different argument.
    He has done it multiple times with inferior squads. Every Season since about 2006-7 we have at least 50% of the SKY/BBC/Sun press telling us we will miss out on a top four place this time.

In that period Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United have all had disastrous Seasons (in some cases multiple times). The difference with Arsenal is that the media has for one reason or another being eagerly waiting for this to happen.

PINKIE and winifred122 like this.
  8. TheBear

Wanna bet? £100 quid PayPal. If Wenger stays on we will finish top four next Season.

FYI. I really hope he leaves. I'm bored to **** of the monotony.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. lazarus20000

Good that you have such faith in Wenger but I can see everyone getting better next season if anything. Unfortunately I can see the very same rubbish from us next season, plus the increased toxic environment.

Two things are certain, Wenger will do exactly the same thing as he always does and the resulting reaction won't be pretty from the fans.

BrunelGooner and Sign Da Ting like this.
  10. lazarus20000

Not chickening out but I don't bet. How about a charity of choice?

PINKIE likes this.

11. TheBear

Ok - with proof of donation.<ok>

12. lazarus20000

Of course. At least if I lose I do something good <laugh>

PINKIE likes this.
  13. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

If Wenger stays, we are definitely not finishing top 4 next season. The atmosphere will only damage our current players' pshyche. Even if he bought a prime Messi and Ronaldo, we wouldn't finish in the top 4 all things considered.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's this type of thinking that would see us plummet down the league. I want Wenger replaced, but I do not want to see Gary ****ing Monk in charge, not even for a season, It would be much worse that having Wenger for another season.

15. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

No, having Wenger in for another season is the worst thing Arsenal can do. Not only is he insulting the fans by "delaying" his announcement regarding his future, he's potentially stopping great prospects joining the club.

I've already resigned myself to the fact we won't finish in the top 4 (which has been long overdue), so really, all that's left is for us to rebuild and having Wenger at the helm will only stagnate this process.

Wenger has been killing the club for a while. Forget all the revenue Arsenal are making with the overinflated ticket prices. Bottom line is, we're a joke a club, whose ambition is just to qualify within the top 4 each season. We are not winners, we are not amongst the elite clubs anymore.

Every season Wenger tightens the neck of Arsenal with his decrepit vice grip, the life slowly drains itself from the morale of the club.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yes, Wenger needs replacing.
    No, not with 'anybody' or Gary ****ing Monk.

The worst thing Arsenal could do is panic and end up with somebody like Monk

winifred122 likes this.
  17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Did you not have a similar situation with Bertie Mee or is my memory playing tricks. Arsenal do seem to have a history of very aloof boards not paying much attention to the great unwashed.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Showing your age there fella ;)

The Arsenal board was always run by the Hill-Wood family, who were pretty conservative in their approach, but it put us in good stead as a club.
    The problem with the current lot is that Silent Stan is clearly just here for an investment opportunity, and the others don't seem to really want to take any risks. They've pretty much allowed Wenger to control all aspects of the football side of things, which is okay when it's going well. But we've hit the buffers now, Wenger seems to have run out of ideas, and the board it seems don't really have a clue on how to turn things around.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Ian Wright was very forceful in his comment Kronke must go no mincing of words.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think Kronke's words saying 'I didn't buy a stake in Arsenal to win trophies' says it all really. He is happy to see us perform to a reasonable standard, get CL income, sponsorship, kit deals, merch, TV deals etc, to help swell his investment. The problem now is that if we spend 2-3 seasons out of the CL, then this money will shrink. It might actually take a crisis at Arsenal in a financial sense to shake this board up, because it's clear they have been very content with Top 4, without actually challenging for trophies.