1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

When did you begin supporting?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by ooh-bebe_sifi1988, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ooh-bebe_sifi1988

This isn't going to turn into a competition, just a chance for a discussion.

I've been a United fan since 97-98 season.

I'm from Suffolk so United aren't exactly my local team but my Uncle was born in Manchester and supported United since he was knee high, so I followed suit.

Favourite player of all time (of the last 14 years at least) is David Beckham.

I've only managed to see one game live as Manchester is around 5 hours away, but I'll try my best to find a tv screen to watch as many games, or will listen to the radio.

2. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

1994 for me. Was about 8 at that time and that was when I started getting into football. All time favourite player is still Cantona and probably always will be.

3. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

1974/5

My Uncle is a Utd fan, and used to bring my older bro a programme back.
    I have to say I am more of an armchair supporter now, due to cost of traveling/tickets.

4. ooh-bebe_sifi1988

Unforts. Merry I didn't see much of Cantona, but what I did see of him even towards the end of his career was still breathtaking at times

Shame he lowered himself to making poor movies.

5. _viva_rio_

_viva_rio_ Member

96/97. i'm not from manchester and no one in my family is from manchester or even supports united but i don't have a local team and there isn't really a team that my family supports. so i guess that i was a glory hunter but you can't blame a 6 year old for glory hunting.

6. Jip Jaap Stam

Jip Jaap Stam General Chat Moderator
    Staff Member

1992 for me, just in time for us to win our first title for 26 years. I was bit of a late developer football-wise, didn't get into it until I was 11/12, mainly due to the fact my dad wasn't into it so it was up to my 2 grandads (one a season-ticket holder at Bolton, the other at United) to fight over my allegiance! Luckily for me, my Lower-Broughton born, United die-hard grandad took me to my first match in '92 (a reserve match if I remember correctly) and that was it. Thank **** for that! The second time I went to OT was to watch the FA Youth Cup Final 1st leg when we lost 2-0 to Leeds. The likes of G.Neville, Scholes, Butt and Robbie Savage (<laugh>) played for United that night and we lost 2-0, though I think Beckham had already gone out on loan. Who'd have thought they'd be winning the treble (not Savage obviously) 6 years later?

My fave player was Cantona, he was on a different planet

7. ooh-bebe_sifi1988

I really hate the misconception that you HAVE to support the local team, people can support whoever they want unless they change their mind every 5 minutes.

On another note do you really have to go to every game to call yourself a fan?

I'm glad none of those idiots that called everyone 'plastics' for the most silly reasons aren't here.

8. Av u ever won the treble? Av u fuck

Since the day I was born in 1984

9. Av u ever won the treble? Av u fuck

Yep

if we didn't have fans from outside Manchester we wouldn't be the powerhouse we are.

I would welome anyone from anywhere at any time to be a United fan.

10. Jip Jaap Stam

Jip Jaap Stam General Chat Moderator
    Staff Member

A gloryhunter is someone who changes their team as success dictates. You can't call someone who picked the best team at the age of 7 a gloryhunter, not if they've stuck with that team for the last 20 odd years.

11. steviemac14

steviemac14 Active Member

I can see what Dzeko was talking about, all the people from Manchester support Citeh <ok>

12. UNITED SINCE 63

Well lads now you are going to make me feel very old but my dad was a keen united supporter and I suppose I started to get interested when he went to the fa cup finals in 57 and 58. Seeing his reaction to Munich was a big influence also but I didn't start going myself ( with mates of similar age ) until 1963. Through the sixties and seventies I must have been on almost every ground in the country and in those days the away game quite often involved some kind of " battle" with the away supporters ! As for players I've seen some great ones ( Dennis Law, Brian Robson, Cantona etc etc ) but no one comes close to George Best . Unless you were lucky enough to see this guy in the flesh week in week out, then you can't start to imagine how good he was. By the way ooh bebe I don't think it matters were you are from ( I was born and bred in Manchester ) as long as you have the passion for your team but you should try and get to see some games- I have seen united play at Ipswich and Norwich many times, when I was younger and at that time I didn't have a pot to piss in ! Me and my mates would thumb a lift, jump a train, or just walk for miles and miles to see " the Lads". I know things have changed but my passion has not died and never will oh and by the way isn't Fergie brilliant

13. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

The plastics are the little ****ers who only remember they "support" a team when they win something. You only ever see Man U and Chelsea's because nobody else wins anything so they have nothing to brag about when they go into work.

Gloryhunters are people who's strength of support varies depending on the team's success.

Two official definitions for ya. And an example of a Liverpool plastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

14. Wein14

Wein14 Active Member

100% Disagree.
    When England are in the world cup you support them because your English, National pride.
    When born in Newcastle you (generally) support Newcastle because you are a Geordie, Local pride.
    Manchester you have a choice of a few teams, same goes with Liverpool, Birmingham and obviously London is split into area's.

You dont have to, but you always feel more passion when you have a connection with a team from something more than 'They were right good when i started liking football.'. As a youth i was made to support Man U, and i went off football, didnt care. Then when i came back to the sport i started supporting Newcastle, my local team, and i am Toon mad now! Hate weekends when their isnt a game to watch, and feel devastated when we loose, extatic when we win!

Agree about the going to games thing though, just shows you have more $$$ available.

15. Av u ever won the treble? Av u fuck

This is why I've supported them from birth. Nothing else would have been allowed.

16. merrysupersteve

Newcastle <laugh> Such a massive club that their fans have to obsess over beating their more successful Wearside rivals by having a permanent footnote on all posts. Small club mentality? I think so. Bugger off back to your own board. Then you won't have to worry about where Man United fans come from.

17. ooh-bebe_sifi1988

I agree with what you're saying but what if you don't have that attatchment to the "local area"

I was born in Colchester and tbh like a lot of people from there I quite franky don't give a **** about the local area and am happy I didn't go to school there as I may have just left with an ASBO and a kid at 14.

What I cannot stand is people being judgemental over what team you choose to support. I guess players come and go but if you watch a team play and think, "jesus that was good football" then what's wrong with supporting that team through thick and thin? It's the same as being born from there surely?

18. TuckersLaw

TuckersLaw Member

I'm from a Manchester based family (although we have all moved away) and been a supporter since 89. I was glad I got to see Robson, but my favourite player is Cantona.

19. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

And yet we still continue to support our club? HAHAHAHAHAHA imagine that, we're small, have a small club mentality and yet still follow the team regardless? Well I never...

20. merrysupersteve

Never said you didn't. I'd imagine most people who post on football forums do support their football team, out there as that suggestion may be. However, maybe if you and similar fans didn't have such a closed shop, small club mentality, your club would have more success, eh? Let me guess, you're such a huge fan that you don't actually want your club to have success, as this will attract out of towners.

Newcastle's team isn't comprised of a group of Geordies though so clearly those who have run the operation over the years have left behind this pre-historic attitude. Also, you yourself clearly don't only have eyes for Newcastle as you are on our board and seem to have a bit of an infatuation about Sunderland, judging by your footnote.