1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's with the Ozil bashing?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 2, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

A happy medium is to keep Ozil and get in Isco. To balance the books i would offload a couple of players. Better to have quality than quantity.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Can one of them be Gabriel please ? I mean I like the guy and he gives 100%, but he has a calamitous mistake in him in every game.
    He was at fault for both the Spurs goals last weekend.

3. lazarus20000

Your wish is my command. To be honest we have some wiggle room to get rid of a few players but that would mean balancing the side. I think we can get away with bringing in 4 players this summer transfer window which should make significant improvements. But getting the right players to balance the team with serious quality is necessary, not merely good like Xhaka and Elneny . Because we will need that going into next season as it will be very hard. If we don't strengthen significantly, then we will struggle a lot, especially as Sanchez and Ozil could be going, leaving us seriously depleted in quality.

The summer transfer window will probably be the most important of Wenger's career.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Dream would be :

In :

Mbappe
    Van Dijk
    Isco
    Looks like Kolasinac could be coming in too.

Out :

Gabriel
    Walcott
    Coquelin

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Those three combined would be more than £200m.

End with Wenger in charge would make no difference to our chances.

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I have to agree with both of those statements. We would not spend anywhere near that amount and with Wenger in charge, the atmosphere frankly just wont change.

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Even with the greatest atmosphere in the world, we'd still be dogshit with Wenger in charge.

8. lazarus20000

It isn't likely but Wenger's only hope of making a significant impact would be to spend big to get into CL places, that obviously wouldn't include challenging for the title.

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

You guys should have bought Cesc back. He has far more impact than Ozil in my opinion. Ozil is a great master craftmans but he needs the ball fed through to him in dangerous areas.

TheBear likes this.
  10. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

In my view the rise of Xhaka has improved Ozil. At last we have another player, besides Cazorla who can get the ball to Ozil.

I don't think you can blame Ozil for the fact that other players cant hit him. he gets into space every game, you can see him running off the ball wide-open in space non-stop. Occasionally Sanchez hits a decent pass to him, but over the long haul only Cazorla and Xhaka seem to have the vision to hit a decent length pass to him early.

PINKIE likes this.

11. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I LOVE Ozil as a player, but doesn't that not limit us. If his effectiveness is highly dependent on other finding him, we are setting ourselves up for issues. Especially when we don't have the top level personnel. For me, a more dynamic #10 is what we need. One that can get stuck in and win games on their own too.

12. ToledoTrumpton

A #10 is there to create chances, not to get stuck in. That is a bonus, but not a requirement. We were having terrible trouble breaking down other teams that were parking the bus, like Sunderland. 12 freaking chances the guy created. And we finished 1 of them. You can't field a team of all-rounders, we tried that, and we already tried to make Ozil an all-rounder and play Ramsey and Iwobi with him. None of them can get open because they have to worry about getting back to help the defense. The reason the 3-4-3 works is because all 3 of the front 3 don't really have to worry about getting back in too much of a hurry. We have a fairly mobile CB able to cover in behind our full-backs when they go up the pitch. It has helped Ozil, and it has helped Sanchez as well.

The team works much better when we are creating chances, even if we only score 1 in 12.

13. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I think Ozil would be a great player if we had a stronger central midfield. When he is on his game no one can cut a defence open like Ozil and it is an absolute joy to behold! The problems start to pile up when play breaks down and we need to get the ball back quickly because basically Ozil cannot be arsed with it! In our squad Ozil looks like a luxury player but that's only because we seem to have too many of those! In the right team I think he'd be World class.

14. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

This Arsenal team I look at, it should be a requirement for every one of those player to get stuck in. We don't have a steely midfield and defence to accommodate the purest of #10s. Ozil is technically a much better player than a lot other players I feel would serve us better. Coutinho and Dybala for example, don't have the incredible vision of Ozil, but I trust them to take players on and shoot when there is an opening. They will also create a fair share for others. Ozil is too niche for us.

15. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

<ok>
    Stop right there, buddy!

That is our problem in a nutshell! and until we get it sorted we are going to be a yo-yo club. Too good to drop outside the top half but never good enough to seriously challenge.

16. lazarus20000

There is no doubt that Ozil is world class, but he needs top quality players around him to function at optimum levels. Unfortunately we have a hotch-potch of quality in our team. We have top quality talent in Sanchez up front, but then we have Giroud, Iwobi and OXO. They frankly aren't in the same league as Ozil and Sanchez.

What makes a engine great is when all the parts are made of quality. When you have a few duff parts, then the engine will suffer and inevitably break down. This is the problem we have with Arsenal. We have two great players in our team, with a load of good to average others.

17. ToledoTrumpton

Coutinho and Dybala would have created 3 chances against Sunderland and we would have had a 0-0 draw.

We won the ball back anyway with our 2 defensive midfielders who are there to, yes win the ball back. The days of the 4-4-2 and all-round midfielders are over, get over it.

18. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I hope you not taking my point as a knock on Ozil. Far from it. It is more the team and the system.

Totally disagree. I think you underrate Coutinho and Dybala. Not only would they create more that 3 chances against a side like Sunderland, but most likely take responsibility in testing the goalkeeper. Ozil is cerebral and others have to be on his wavelength (behind and ahead of him) to get full value. Unfortunately this is not what we have to work with. For me having a player like Ozil on the wages and price-tag without following up with surrounding him with top quality is a waste of resources. Makes the player look bad, makes the team look worse, and frustrates the fans.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

If we can get Cazorla fit again next season, then I think Ozil will flourish too. I like Xhaka and he's improved a lot, but he's not as quick footed or quick thinking as Cazorla, who is a 360 player and can find the right pass in an instant. Also he's calm under pressure and can use his skill with both feet, to outfox players trying to take the ball off of him, before opening up the oppo with a good run or pass.

Oh how I hope we get our little magician back for next season.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.