1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What would you do? Poll.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, Oct 30, 2016.

?

What would you do?

1. Sick with Moyes (long term)

42.1%
  2. Sack Moyes (short term)

57.9%
  1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Assuming your owner pays what I assume will be a huge (£10m?) pay off for Moyes, who's out there? Nigel Pearson?

A few lads on here were saying he was perfect to keep Newcastle up last season before they went for the fat waiter.

Pulis has just signed an extension at WBA.

I think your main problem mate, is you don't have any fire left to put out.

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Given our recent history I can see what you mean, but Sam seemed a perfect fit, and the fans were looking forward to this season with confidence, then came the huge summer let down, from all concerned, and it is just getting worse with Moyes, 10 games without a win, the worst start to a premiership season, ever, even by our standards, its been a nightmare. My guess is that the fans will turn on him against Hull and frankly if we do not see an improvement in the team by then, who can blame them, I don't think I can tbh.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Tel (they/them)

I think Allardyce seemed a perfect fit for you, I don't think he was enjoying it though. He'd been moaning about his patience wearing thin just before he got linked with the England manager's job.

Who knows how the window would have went if he managed it? It's irrelevant now, but surely there isn't just one man for the job.

One thing I think is important if you go down, is to come back up with an identity and a style of play, that doesn't just suit firefighting managers.

clockstander likes this.
  4. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth!

5. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

That's the big thing for me. There never seems to have been a proper plan in place. Just a series of knee-jerk reactions. I thought the Director of Football experiment might have been the way forward but it was never given time to bed in properly. That spell is widely criticised and the early part with di Fanti wasn't working, in part because it was poorly conceived, but Congerton didn't really get a proper chance.

clockstander and TEL like this.
  6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Honestly thought Moyes was a good appointment for you guys. The issue I had fairly early on is that he seemed to set himself up to fail without a ball being kicked. No hindsight required as I (and many others) posted at the time that his comments about M'Villa were strange and he was talking as though he had plenty of time to find other players seemingly ignoring that a good pre-season really helps. Player purchases were delayed and as a result it didn't feel as though he had the team as prepared for the season as it could have been. Is that all his fault? No probably not but his demeanour and comments in interviews was far from inspiring.

I think it is worth pointing out that a) he handled the Kone situation very well b) you've been 'in' most of your games so far this season. A couple of years ago under Poyet you really looked like getting a pasting every week and whilst statistically this season is worse so far I actually think you've shown a bit more c) I think he's improved in interviews in the past month, is that just me? d) Injuries - yes every team gets them and it's harder for some teams to cope than others. Last year we went down due in part to a horrendous injury list (it isn't just players being out, it's them coming back lacking sharpness or perhaps being rushed back and looking shoddy) and you're certainly suffering so far. I don't think that is Moyes fault in any way.

I still think he's the best option for you right now but I'm not as sure as I was. Far from it.

farnboromackem and Nostalgic like this.
  7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

There are plenty of things that have gone wrong that are not his fault. The overall state of the club is not his fault at all and to lay all the blame at his door isn't right.

Like you, I thought his early comments were odd and, to some extent, detrimental but I was willing to believe that he was a good enough tactician to do ok with us, even if as a character he wasn't really to my taste. The fact that in most games we've only lost by a goal or two had me thinking initially that all would come right eventually. However, as time has gone on the zonal marking, the lack of pressing, and the playing for a draw in games in which were still in with a chance of winning has eroded my belief in his tactical abilities. Maybe some of that is down to the lack of effort on the part of the players but not all of it. His tactics are needlessly negative and the injuries, small squad size, lack of quality, and poor recruitment shouldn't prevent him setting his team up to close space down more and at least show some fight.

RTB, haslam, Jack TheLad and 2 others like this.
  8. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Sack Moyes now while there is still plenty of time in the season to turn things around......

9. Tel (they/them)

Replace him with who to do this 'turn things around' thing you speak of?

10. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

The writing was on the fall for Moyes as early as October. He got lucky fluking onto a system that beat Bournemouth Hull and Leicester otherwise he'd have been toast.

In hindsight it would have been better for us if we'd lost to Bournemouth and took the chnace to sack the clown