1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What would be your reaction if...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

we didn't sign anyone this window? Obviously completely hypothetical as it is so early in the window but just wondering what people's thoughts are? Would you see it as the board ****ing up again? Possible sale of club? Not backing Puel? Or just nobody we wanted was available? Or something else?

For me I think that we are very unlikely to be relegated, very unlikely to finish in the European spots so I don't really see the big need to go and sign anyone this window, unless a player we really want becomes available for a reasonable price.

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I think that what you think is what the board will be thinking, personally.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I'd want to know why we borrowed money in November. If it wasn't to buy a player and pay his wages, it was to balance our books. If we need to borrow for running costs, should we be concerned?

4. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

What's the opposite of surprised?

5. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

I would say that the board lacked ambition.

6. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Don't care to be honest. I will now only spit my dummy out if we get relegated.(which won't happen)

7. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

The annoying this for me is the lack of entertainment at SMS this season. Maybe we've been spoilt recently but season ticket holders haven't half paid a lot of money per goal at home this year. So would be a bit irked if we don't look to bring in a goalscorer.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To most of us mere fans, it looks like we need a signing or two, or three, yet none of us are at the club knowing what is going on. We're just fans wanting to win games.

So, on that basis I'll be disappointed but not suicidal. It might make me nudge towards the Board not being too happy with Puel, but that's about it.

9. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I would moan on here for a few days, then get on with it :)

Archers Road likes this.
  10. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

January transfers are generally overpriced and reflect panic so no I'm not expecting any signings.

I quoted this post because I take comfort that more and more fans are recognising football as entertainment and are frustrated by the comparatively boring football we have seen. I would be no happier even if we had an unbeaten record. Defeats are easier to take when you see fast flowing football and goalmouth action.

11. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

If we pick up zero points in January, get knocked out of both cups, and sign nobody, I will blame the board for not backing their man. The pressure would then be quite immense on Puel, especially from the fans, that even if the club sacked him, the new manager would have to work with the same group of players as Puel.

But the board would have a way out of it, saying that they've sacked Puel etc etc, there was money available etc etc. None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, but I really hope that my scenario is just a bad dream.

12. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

It would be a folly. There is nothing I can do about it and to be honest, personally, I'm fed up with feeling peed off, angry and fed up this season. So I'll just have to eat the sh** and smile.

A bit like when I worked.

13. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Nail on the head.

I love the Saints. I love football. But there are more important things in life. Football is a large part of it, but we have to just grin and bear it.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Less annoyed than I would feel if I invested £1 (or however much it is nowadays) on the near-certainty of winning £1,000,000 on the Lottery, and my ticket didn't win. More disappointed than realising I have to take my Christmas tree down tomorrow.

TheSecondStain and Archers Road like this.
  15. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

We, the fans, need to make a change. Let's appropriate (steal) Will Griegs song for Boufal, and watch Saints fly up the table.

ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I am now engrossing myself in other things and caring less about the Saints so I guess I would just accelerate that. I meet a lot of ex Saints supporters who have fallen out of love with Saints and stopped going never to return. I think I may soon join them.

17. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to feel the same. I'm just so so bored watching us at the moment.

18. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

The strange thing is that our most busy period...is January. After that things calm down a lot. I still favour a Elia-style loan.

19. nice teeth

nice teeth Well-Known Member

If we didn't sign anyone, but didn't sell anyone either, I wouldn't be upset.

For me personally, I find moaning fans are much more likely to ruin my match-day experience than poor football. I've been going to games since the late 80's and have experienced lower periods than this.

thebronze14 and fatletiss like this.
  20. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be that upset if we don't buy anyone. In the market we're shopping in there isn't (probably) a player who can make an instant impact on the team.

Clem Fandango likes this.