1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours What we need/who should go

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

This got lost in the Leeds fans pissy fit yesterday so I'm asking the same question;

Based on the reality check of yesterday's performance, who do we need in order to actually challenge for anything next season (top four trophy does not count) , and who should leave?

Before anyone says transfer thread, what transfer thread? The one that no one uses or the one that no one uses?

Personally I think we need one centre midfield maestro. Ideally Paul Pogba but as that is unlikely I'd still like Bastian Schweinsteiger but as that is also unlikely, if less so, then I think Sami Khedira would be a very good option.

Two right backs; Dani Alves and Nathanial Clyne. One bags of experience and free of charge, the other one for the future, like his former team mate Luke Shaw.

A centre half of class and substance; Mats Hummels. I'd consider Ron Vlaar on a free also.

Beyond that I really don't see how Depay fits, he's not an actual striker and we don't need wide men at all so no.

I would prefer an actual centre forward. Christian Benteke anyone?

To leave; Falcao, Rafael, Johnny Evans and Tom Cleverly permanently. Januzaj is on borrowed time also and Hernandez depends on who else leaves and comes in.

Discuss.

2. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

In - Depay, 1 of (Schneiderlin, Pogba, gundogan), Hummels or Godin, Clyne or Carvajal and a sub striker (benteke?)

Out - Evans, Hernadez, Nani (if depay comes as expected), Januzaj (loan to psv or sporting), Falcao, Valencia.

I would keep Rafael but he wouldn't be first choice. I would bin Valencia because he is the route of many goals against bit contributes nothing in attack. Hes worked hard but thats not enough.

3. UnitedinRed

You should watch Depay. Weve got nobody like him and we miss a goal threat from the left. Not sure you will get to many chances now though as psv have won the title.

Going to be one of the best players around.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Not seen much, I only base it on I think we need more centre forward than wide attacker but if both Januzaj and Valencia we to go then he would indeed be useful.

Schneiderlin is a good call.

Vidal off the radar now then?

5. UnitedinRed

Vidals more a herrera kind of player and hes earned his starting position imo. I think a DM to go with Carrick is the one signing we simply have to make.

Pogba is bottom of the list as hes more b2b but young enough to mould. Gundogan seems most likely.

6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

you guys are talking about changing half your outfield starting 11. Which is fine but do you expect all these foreigners to gel straight away or almost accepting another potential year of transition before being title winners?

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Bit of an exaggeration.

We're talking a new right back, a new centre half and a new centre midfielder. That's three.

Otherwise my list is to cover and add to the squad. yesterday proved that Carrick is more or less like for like irreplaceable so that needs addressing and also that Falcao is never going to work so that needs addressing.

Right back and centre half are obvious.

8. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Sorry read it as 2 full backs when you said 2 right backs. But you said Benteke as well which makes at least 4.

Before the game at the Bridge, some United posters were talking as if the recent run proved you'd be title challengers next season. Why then for the need for yet more massive investment? Genuine question.

9. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In defence I think we need a solid and experienced CB leader. Hummels is the best option imo.

Not sure about letting Evans go - he's arguably not good enough for a title winning side, but then neither are Cahill or Demichelis. Have always thought of Evans as that type of player - good when playing alongside an experienced CB like Terry or Kompany, but a bit of a liability when expected to command the back four. Tho' if we get Hummels we will have five CBs, so one of them will probably have to go and Evans is the weakest individually.

Also need an RB - Seamus Coleman would be ideal, failing that Clyne.

In midfield I think we definitely need a backup and long term replacement for Carrick. Tho' not many equivalent like for like players of a similar quality are available right now. So I'd say go for someone more dynamic and box to box like Pogba so we can get a Keane style replacement instead.

Definitely need a proper striker as backup for Rooney, Benteke would be my preference.

As for wide players, we already have Mata, Young, Di Maria and Januzaj, with Valencia possibly, but probably not. Not convinced Depay would be a significant improvement on any of those barring Januzaj. And tbh he's struggled a bit this season, but is still young, so not sure if there's any major benefit from replacing him with another player who might struggle just the same.

So I'd ideally bring in Hummels, Coleman, Pogba and Benteke, or any good CB, RB, CM and strikerm, and possibly Depay
    Get shot of Cleverley, Valencia, RVP, Rafael, possibly Evans

Falcao maybe keep depending on what happens about a permanent deal - no chance I'd pay the £40m quoted, but if we can't get Benteke or another striker then he's worth hanging on to if we can get a decent deal. Better than nothing anyway!
    Januzaj keep but monitor
    Hernandez keep if he doesn't mind having to prove himself against Rooney and Falcao / whoever we bring in

10. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Investment is generally the difference between being title challengers and title winners. Why settle for second spot when you can buy a few players and have a better chance of first?

Also the league this season has been pretty average - no guarantee our current squad would compete for the title if other clubs step up their level next year. Like you guys found out in 2007 and 2011 - if you don't try and move forwards, you end up going backwards.

11. chelsea - over 100 years of history

In 2007 we bought Ballack and Sheva, 2 world stars and didn't win the title. Sometimes buying and unsettling a side is not the best option.

12. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye but they were both (definitely Shevchenko, possibly Ballack) the result of Mourinho saying "I don't need anyone" and Roman turning around and saying "Yes you do, get these two players, I like them".

If Mourinho had drawn up his own plans to keep the team refreshed and push them forwards, you'd have ended up with players who fit better, and at least made a better fist of your title defence that year.

13. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Buying Sheva was a problem as we tried different systems to try and accommodate him, not too dissimilar to LVG this year playing players out of position in order to shoehorn them all in. Only really since he gave up on Falcao and Di Maria that it has really clicked for United this term.

Another interesting summer looming.

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I can see you've discussed a bit with Swarbs but in a nutshell, yes. It's about further improvement on what we have which is quite clearly not good enough yet.

It's not really massive investment either. Pogba would cost a massive amount but it's not really likely we'll get him so my suggested alternative in Khedira for instance would be a freebie. As would Alves, as would Vlaar. All would improve and evolve the squad.

Benteke, Hummels and Clyne together would barely touch 50 million.

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is the key - buy players who fit the formation and system, don't be forced into buying players that will disrupt it.

The players Ruff and I are suggesting are to balance the squad and give us more options when players are suspended as well as improving in critical areas. We could have beaten your lot well if we'd had a better option up front than Falcao (Benteke) and cover for Carrick (Pogba / Khedira) so it's not like we're advocating buying players like Shevchenko who will force a change in formation to shoehorn him alongside Drogba.

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Elephant in the room - De Gea ???

17. UnitedinRed

Nothing to suggest either way. A few reports from randomers in spain and the fact hes not signed a new deal (waiting until we confirm CL) equals, De Gea to madrid.

The Atletico link should not be overlooked. Players rarely play for both clubs above youth levels and those who make it at either club, almost never change sides.

His entire family are Atletico fans and it's not a rivalry based on just football. It goes deeper.

I would be more worried if Atletico or Barcelona were in for him. Real have already stated they arent and have 3 very good keepers.

18. Style

Style 'where is the love'

More confident than me UIR think there's a very good chance of him returning to Spain..

19. UnitedinRed

To Spain? One day he inevitably will.

However I think to someone who isnt Real.

It would be like Rooney going to Liverpool. Just doesn't happen.

That is my view until something more concrete than the Spanish equivalent of Graham Norton making wild claims (which is all thats happened)

20. CFC: Champs £launderx17

You said Casillas was ****e? Who are there three good keepers?

Juanfran has played for both as has Reyes, Hugo Sanchez, Schuster.

If money comes knocking De Gea will consider it as he hates Manchester