1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What Was Our Greatest Moment of 2016?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Citizen Kane, Dec 21, 2016.

?

What was your favourite Spurs moment of 2016?

1. THAT Dele Alli goal v Palace (23/1/16)

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. THE 6 minutes v United (10/4/16)

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Putting an end to 'Guardiola's superb start' v City (2/10/16)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. The incredible away performance v City (14/2/16)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. THAT Kane goal v Arsenal (5/3/16)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. The last 3 minutes v West Ham (19/11/16)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. The truly magical European night v Fiorentina (25/2/16)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hugo's one man army v Bayer Leverkusen (18/10/2016)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I was browsing the Beeb last night and came across one of if not the most ridiculous articles I have ever seen on there: Pick your top 10 PL moments of 2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38370299. If anything confirms the anti-Spurs bias across the media, this does. Just read through the choices. Pour a strong drink first, then read through them. 'Spurs lose it at Chelsea', along with 'Rashford emerges' and 'Guardiola's superb start'. No mention of Alli's emergence, no mention of the fact that we put a resounding end to 'Guardiola's superb start' and they haven't been in the title race ever since. I mean give me a break, Hull ****ing City got off to a 'superb start'. FFS. Then there's the media's love child - 'The ups and downs of Klopp'. Seriously? I mean, '20 years of Wenger' even Spurs fans can understand - that is an incredible achievement. But Jurgen Klopp taking over a PL club, winning some games and losing some games makes him, well, pretty much Alan Pardew with a German accent.

Anyhow, this season has sadly been quite thrifty on the glory glory moments but there are still plenty from last January onwards that light up the eyes. So, a mix of the sublime and the humorous (feel free to add options)...what was your favourite moment of 2016?

<cheers>

Bodinki, Roo and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  2. Great thread :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Some brilliant moments to consider, but on the basis that Citeh have been shown to be inconsistent, beating the Spammers late on is a gift that keeps on giving and a one off piece of skill doesn't encapsulate a season, it was down to either Hugo's performance or the United spell.
    And that 6 minutes was amazing!!! <cheers>

Citizen Kane likes this.
  3. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

`The German Pardew` <laugh>

Roo and Citizen Kane like this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Couldn't vote as it's a straight toss up between Alli's goal against Palace and our late dramatics against West Ham.

I was fortunate enough to see both live, in fact I was practically dead in line with Alli when he hit that volley, it was just astonishing to witness, the nerve to do it is one thing but the skill to pull it off is incredible, I'll remember that goal and moment for a long, long while.

The West Ham ending was just wonderful, what made it even sweeter was that we really didn't play too well throughout the match and it's the one game that West Ham would do anything to win. So to equalise and then break their hearts in stoppage time - not long after they started chanting "it's happening again!" - There's not many better feelings than that.

EDIT: Great thread by the way, CK <ok>

Citizen Kane likes this.
  5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alli goal:

Kane goal:

Six minutes of Man Utd madness:

West Ham Hartbreak:

I think I'd go with the six minutes. LAMELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

6. Citizen Kane

I have tried to balance the options equally between individual moments of brilliance and excellent team efforts. I chose Alli's goal simply because it was probably the best individual goal I have ever seen from a Spurs player, and the fact that he was all of 19 years old in his first PL season compounds that fact.

In reality, I think it's fair to say that at this level it is much, much harder for an entire team to keep up a top class level of performance throughout a 90 minute match and dominate it from start to finish. That said, perhaps our recent outings against City deserve more recognition - especially the away game last season.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  7. Shark

Shark Active Member

Seeing em live elevates it don't it? I was at the Utd, fiorentina and City games... those 6 mins against United get it for me. Naaaaaa nah nah na na na naaaa na na na naaaa... YOU'RE SHIIIT!!!

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Ohh man them 6 minutes against United.... That night we dismantled Stoke 4-0 away...first time I thought....this team looks like they want the league....went **** soon after.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  9. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Went for the Kane goal. Nearly as good as Alli's but against Arsenal. Love Hoddle's commentary - he's used Gabriel as a mannequin to curl it round. Very apt.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

That was some serious skill and determination from Kane. That's what I'm talking about SD, that kind of desire.

11. Citizen Kane

Particularly the commitment and tenacity from Alli to chase a seemingly lost ball all the way to the touchline and still have the nous to backheel it to Kane. More of that this season please Dele.

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah 100%, I love going to The Lane and away days, the atmosphere and buzz around a football day is just quality and when you witness some of those great moments, there just aren't many better feelings.

Shark likes this.
  13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Genuinely excellent performance. Won 4-0 away, but it could've been a much higher score.

Really took them apart, despite it being a real pressure game on a Monday night.

14. Citizen Kane

It was an excellent performance at a ground where we've typically struggled. I hummed and hawed about putting it in and what held me back was the fact that Stoke were truly abysmal that night. They defended like we did circa 2013-14 and their midfield was practically non-existent. Apart from a few glimpses of quality from Arnautovic, that evening confirmed for me that Mark Hughes had completely undone all the hard work that Pulis had instilled into the side to make them notoriously hard to beat. They are no longer hard to beat at all, as this season continues to confirm. The conceded 4 to Liverpool in the game prior to ours and another 4 to City in the following fixture, so hammering Stoke was very much run of the mill at the time. Not taking away from an excellent overall performance with some top class goals, but that was my reasoning in not including it. Good shout though <ok>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It's an interesting phenomenon with managers and I think it's one that's commonly overlooked.
    Coaches that create a good defensive setup at clubs, get sacked and are replaced by someone more attacking, who thrives for a while.
    Stoke did it with Hughes, Everton did it with Martinez and West Ham have done it with Bilic.

The incoming manager benefits from the solid base and improves on the weak part of the side, adding flair and goals.
    The improved balance and the unknown aspect for opposing coaches make things better for a while and the fans like it.
    Then the old habits go out the window, the defensive aspects wear out and it all goes a bit wrong.
    You then end up at a more natural level for the current manager.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One option that should be on the poll: crushing one Narrative after another.

The media think Guardiola will walk the league, we stuff Man City
    The media write off Kane as a one-season wonder, he ends the season as top scorer in the Premier League
    The media say Harry Kane is holding back the England team, England manage to be even worse when they drop him
    The media say that no Spurs player would get into City's first team, yet our back five has routinely made theirs look Championship standard
    The media keep repeating how we're "a selling club" yet we have kept our squad together, often with new long-term contracts

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  17. Citizen Kane

18. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Excellent thread all 8 listed are memorable in their own way and its so hard to choose between them. The goals by Alli & Kane will both stand the test of time and would both be rightly included in any greatest goals compilation. Equally Hugo's performance was absolutely top drawer, he is in my opinion our best keeper since Pat Jennings. The 2 city matches were fantastic and proof that we can be a match for anyone, but as a result they also serve to be a frustration that we don't reach those levels often enough. The six minutes v United I loved and if I didn't just have such a complete dislike of all things spam it would have got my vote, but the last 3 mins v The Spammers gave me personally the most joy so that is my choice.

Citizen Kane and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  19. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Great thread, CK. <ok>

All those moments are fantastic and it's extremely hard to choose, but it was Harry Kane's goal against the goons for me. Two of my best mates are arsenal fans. Their faces when that went in were just priceless. It makes life very easy for a few days after <ok>

What also struck me from watching those videos is the involvement Lamela has in some way in so many of those attacks. Whether it's a goal, an assist, an off the ball run at pace, or even just getting his foot in for a tackle, he's causing a nuisance in some way. Can't wait to have him back as an option. He's sorely missed IMO, despite how frustrating he can be at times. <ok>

20. Citizen Kane

Even though they haven't (yet) picked up any votes, well worth a watch. I must have seen the Hugo save against Bayer at least 20 times, and my brain simply won't accept that the ball didn't cross the line. How he kept that out at the speed it was travelling and with his body at a right angle to the ball, I will never know.

Also worth a watch are the highlights from the comfortable victory at the Lane v Fiorentina. The away leg saw us labour to a draw without truly challenging Tatarusanu throughout. Chadli led the line in a much changed side to little effect. Dier and Lamela were drafted back in for the return leg and it made all the difference, despite Kane again being absent. A fantastic atmosphere throughout and really good goals from Mason (his first and only goal in Europe) and Lamela made it a rare enjoyable evening in Europe after a number of unconvincing, turgid displays.