1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What to do about Aaron Ramsey

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Dec 1, 2016.

?

Should we sell Aaron Ramsey?

1. Yes - he simply isn't good enough

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No - he's a vital component of our squad

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. On the fence - his time is running out, but I have hope he can hit that 2013/14 form again

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Since his amazing season in 2013/14, where everything he touched turned to gold, his performances for the most part have left a lot to be desired. Some may argue that he set the bar so high for himself in that breakthrough season that it was always going to be difficult to replicate that form over a consistent period of time. In some respects, that is a valid point of view, however, he seems to have regressed because he struggles to get the basic elements of football right these days. And if I'm going to be brutally honest, I just don't see what he brings to the team any longer.

I don't feel like he's performed that well in the last 2 and a half years. His first touch is erratic, his passing is inconsistent, his shooting is wayward, slows down the tempo of our game, takes too many touches, doesn't play the ball forward enough and he doesn't dictate the game. He has a good engine and can put in a shift, but that's pretty much all he brings to the table. It's quite remarkable that he's anywhere near our starting 11.

Furthermore, he isn't a kid any longer; he's going to be 26 soon. Ramsey's been at the club for 9 years now and apart from that honeymood period he had almost 3 years ago now, he has massively underperformed on the whole. And the thing is, can we really afford to keep him in the faint hope that he may reach those heights again? My own personal view is that I don't think it's worth it.

So - although I doubt it would happen under Wenger, would any you be in favour of us selling Ramsey in the near future?

Because I think it's time to start having that discussion. I can't think of any top team's XI (or squad) that he'd get into.

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

He had a great 5 months, not season.

Get rid.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's a good player who's injury prone, there comes a time to stick or twist.

4. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

This is his make or break season,if he doesnt we should cash in but he is only failing due to being complacent and being full of himself,for when he pulls his finger out he was similarly sensational for wales as he was for us from 2013 to 2014 calendar years.

When he is benched for a long time and comes on he is good for a while so,we make do with santi,Jack,Xhaka,Elneny and Coquelin for the CMs and if needed use his as a great back up or we sell him,nothing to worry about.

But we should not give the place a more team,consistent performer..and lose crucial results due to him..so this should be the make or break season,santi is out,jack is on loan..he will eventually even get a ball sprayung dm like arteta not that he should be so unflexible that he needs one to play when he can also be a connector like santi as opposed to a lampardish goal getter,so if he doesnt cut it we have tp be clear,cash in(trust me the kick up his arse will so good he will be sensational but it will happen only if we sell him) or he earns his place in the team.

COYG!

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

This guy is an enigma. To be fair he hasn't been played centrally too often as he's no way good enough compared to what you have so maybe that's why he's a bit lost.

I can't see him being a DM as he's isn't disciplined enough and he's not quite got the spot ozil has as ozil is far classier.

The thing about rambo is his consistency. He has a great engine and technically he's got some skills. However he doesn't have that burst round players and the most frustrating elements of his game i find is that he's either trying these hollywood balls or doing stupid flicks and tricks when he just isn't that good. He doesn't keep things simple when they need to be and so he loses possession in stupid areas or just loses the ball.

I can't really remember a really good run of form from him except for that 6 month period when he was banging them in. I think he's basically a poor version of frank lampard, in that so far, the best he offers to the team is the energy and the late runs into the box where he isn't picked up but he's not as good as finisher as frank and when we played frank, we had 2 other midfielders doing the donkey work whereas Ramsay doesn't have that luxury with ozil in the side.

Honestly, i think you'd be better getting rid of him as he's just not good enough in my opinion.

The reason he shines for wales is because they are a donkey side and have even less creativity than west brom. They play on the counter and rambo can play higher, hs more space and can hit his hollywood balls to their fast runners and get into the box. That just isn't arsenals game.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He's wasted out on the left, the trouble for Ramsey is that his best position is as a No10, but Ozil dominates that position. Still, for us it's good to have his quality in the squad.

7. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

Why is his best position at number ten?Because he scores goals?He was able to do that because he timed his runs perfectly from deep and caught opposition with little time or by surprise,its like saying Lampard's best position is at number 10

His best position is a box to box central midfielder when he gets back his heqd from the clouds and puts in defensive work..his extraordinary engine enables all this.

COYG!

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  8. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

You ****s only hate the Welsh Messi because you are bitter that he isn't a Saes bastard <grr>

9. BrunelGooner

Ramsey's best position definitely is not as a number 10, I'm not sure where that's come from. Every time he's played there, he's been dreadful.

People talk about the 'quality' he has, but what does he actually do? When was the last time he scored a goal for us? When was the last time he even provided an assist? When was the last time he did anything of note? He is rubbish going forward, he isn't exactly a combative central midfielder because he isn't disciplined enough and he's not that good defensively either. Sure, he runs around a lot, but that's the minimum requirement you'd expect from a professional footballer.

Seriously, what is this 'quality' that he has? Because he's seldom shown it in the last 3 years.

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  10. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

I think he's a really solid player as can be seen when he plays for Wales but I just don't see where he fits in our team. We've struggled to shoehorn him in for 2 1/2 seasons now and it hasn't worked. I have no doubt he can perform for a team who play a different style but I'd rather build a team around an Özil or Alexis than a Ramsey. If we get offered anywhere near £25-30m in the summer I'd take it.

TheBear likes this.

11. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Ramseys best position would be the no.10 in a free attacking role but lets be honest nobody is going to drop Ozil.

The problem with playing him as a CM is that he has very little positional sense.

I actually think Wilshere fits better into our side than Ramsey.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

What quality? He's taking up a valuable squad space and is no good. He's mediocre in all midfield positions which is often a problem if you're a midfielder.

13. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

We will soon find out whether he has it or not. With Cazorla out he won't get a better chance to prove himself. If he shines we challenge, if he flops we scrap 4th. Unfortunately we simply don't have anyone else who can fit that Cazorla role and work effectively with Ozil. We have to try out Ramsey...

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep. It's a great chance for Ramsey to be honest. It's his preferred position anyway and he likes to get forward. As long as his partner Xhaka/Coquelin/Elneny is disciplined and does the lions share of the defensive work, then it's a golden opportunity for Ramsey. I guess we'll see what happens ...

15. BrunelGooner

Although as it stands I think he should be sold, I would still love to be proven wrong. It's not like I want him to fail, I just want what's best for Arsenal and we've been holding on to mediocre players for too many years now.

Now, if Ramsey doesn't take advantage of this opportunity with Santi out, that should be his final chance. He has no future at this club if he doesn't prove he has the qualities to run the midfield.

He has absolutely no excuses to not show us what he feels he's capable of. He's going to be 26, he isn't a kid anymore.

If we want to go forward as a club, we need to take a more ruthless approach with players who continuously underperform.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Who would you replace Ramsey with, assuming that we also need to look at long term replacement for Cazorla ?

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I actually think perrerya of Watford could do that job. Works pretty hard, classy on the ball, can dribble in tight spots. Maybe Gylfi siggurdson?

18. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I don't think we need a top world class player, just someone with Good vision, retains possession well and who can keep things moving which Cazorla does so well. Problem is Ramsey tries to do too much and can't seem to retain possession too well, he tries to pull off a Holywood pass or some super run into the box. Sometimes you gotta keep it simple.

19. BrunelGooner

There are a number of options. Saul, Isco, Veratti, Brozovic, Ruben Neves (for the future), Calhanoglu. I'm sure there a number of other players too, in addition to ones we have coming through, but it's definitely something that we need to be thinking about if Ramsey carries on performing the way he is.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I like Ramsey and I really hope that he can step into Cazorla's role over the next few months, but I tend to agree that we need some better quality in there. Also Cazorla is 31 and seemingly injury prone. We've seen over the last few games how vital the role is in our team to provide the link between our forward players. As much as I'd like either Ramsey or Wilshere to make that role their own, neither of them have yet proved that they can provide what our little magician in Santi Cazorla does in there