1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What the **** is our problem?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Nov 3, 2016.

1. bulletinthehead

bulletinthehead Active Member

At least you won your cup final

2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Not much fun, is it?

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Firstly, how does what you've posted relate to my post you've quoted?

Secondly, how have I treated Jose any different to the way I treated Van Gaal after 3 months? UIR hated Moyes from day 1, then defended LVG a year after he started despite the lack of progress. Hypocrite. Explain where I've done this? In the matchday threads you will see I'm critical of him but I'm not going to write him off now like some (usually rivals) after 3 months given his record as a manager. It's hardly constructive at this stage.

Also you can't continue to slate the manager because all you end up being is a neg with some arrogant sense of entitlement. You have to approach each on his own merits.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've not disagreed with any of that. I've posted all of that on the matchday thread already.

But I've posted it on 2 match threads and all I'll ask is what are you prepared to accept? Because for me, if we're playing attacking football but not winning games (like Burnley and Stoke) I can accept that at this stage.

But it seems to me that we've taken ALL our poor results and applied them to two poor performances to make a sweeping statement about the manager. Many of us said we put performance over (or on a par) with results. Now we're desperate for results already, after just 3 months?

Yesterday was as bad in terms of performance as anything under LVG but that doesnt mean we have been the same overall. My concern is why our players seem to revert to this style when their confidence is low.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm in support of Jose and, bar last night, the football is a vast improvement on the last couple of seasons.

As I said above though, Mourinho can't go public on his disdain for the EL then blame the players for not turning up.

How they prepare is down to him.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Just like how it was down to van Gaal when UIR was trying to blame the players. And the supporters!

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That's the point I've been trying to make. I don't care what competition it is, fkin respect it!!! Enough with the entitlement mentality that is tearing us apart. We need to work with what we are today rather than what we were 5 years ago. Then build up from there.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm yet to hear anyone give an answer to the OP.

Clearly something isn't clicking, we seem to go one step forward then 2 steps back. The defence speaks for itself, it's obvious we need another RB and CB so we just have to make do until we can address this. The real problem lies with our attack atm.

1) Why are we so hit and miss in creating clear cut chances? Great in some games, poor in others.

2) And when we are dominating teams and creating lots, like against Stoke and Burnley, why are we not scoring a hat full?

9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We spend all that money plugging the gaps that the fans have moaned about for 3 seasons and they still play like crap.Lingard, Rashford, Ibra and Herrera seem to me like the only ones who perform in anything like a consistent fashion. Baily and Martial play well enough, but nothing like to their full potential - the rest seem to drift in and out of the first team doing just enough to get by.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You mentioned the formation earlier. There lies the problem. Playing Zlatan alone up front is not working, especially . We have completely ignored Rashford and Martial who are getting wasted on the wings. Why can't we stick with natural wingers? That's the number one problem. Everything has to go through the middle because no one can put in any decent effort on the wings which impacts ability to score goals. Also, our middle men have not performed to their consistent best, Mata being an exception.

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Not really, we haven't plugged the massive gaping gap at centre half at all.

Right back is still an issue.

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I agree we could do with genuine width.

Say we played Young on the left, Valencia on the right with Mata or Zlat at 10 and Martial as striker. And the CM partnership was Pogba and Herrera.

We'd all he happy, right?

Well, maybe not as Rashford, Lingard, Mkhi, one of Mata or Zlat, Rooney, Carrick aren't getting a game.
    To name a few.

Like I said, the squad is completely imbalanced, players are being shoehorned into the side out of position and the defence is ****.

That's the problem.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Let's **** off the 4-2-3-1 for a while. I'm sick of the lone striker and no runners behind. Time for 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I would prefer either really.

There would be some casualties though!

No way Zlatan plays in a 4 3 3.

No way Mata in a 4 4 2.

4 2 3 1 actually suits the players we have but clearly is not working.

Personally I'd have 4 3 3. The 3 in midfield would be Pogba, Herrera and Mata.
    The front three then would be Rashford, Martial and Lingard.

**** it, go with youth and pace.

Treble likes this.
  15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Only works once the defence is sorted and solid.

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Nothing works unless the defence is sorted and solid.

Diego likes this.
  17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I know, but at the moment (particularly with the injuries we have) there is just far too little protection for the defence in the team you suggested, it basically leaves Herrera to do it all.

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Until Baily comes back and we can buy players, our defence is ****ed. So we have to be able to control games going forward in the meantime.

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I would like to see Big Tim get a chance now with Bailly injured and would like to see him partner Bailly in the future.
    Smalling has really let me down, he got to the point where I never thought he would make it (I thought Jones had more chance) and then suddenly seemed to click and had a great 12-18 months. Now he has regressed and my opinion is slipping back to it's original status. Still have some hope for Jones if he ever stays fit for a few weeks.

20. Stan

Stan Stalker

Mourinho praising Ibra for doing the square root of **** all recently, whilst slating Mickey who hasn't had a chance to impress, can't be conducive to a harmonious squad attitude.

I think Mourinho has a very muddled mind.