1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What skills are involved in NASCAR?

Discussion in 'Other Motorsports' started by Di Resta is faster than u, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Di Resta is faster than u

I try not to make ignorant comments about sports I know nothing about but NASCAR, no matter what people say I can't see what makes it erm in any way good.

Is there more to it than pressing the throttle peddle to the floor and turning left twice a lap for 3 hours?

What skills does a NASCAR driver need? Do they need the same level of fitness as say an F1 driver? And is there any technology to the series beyond big engines?

2. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Try playing IndyCars on the Ps2 or any of the NASCAR games.

If you think you're good at F1, then it will come as a suprise how hard it is to race at speed on the 'easy' ovals.

I mean, how hard can t be!?

okay, okay, so it's only computer games and not the real thing, but if there is any realism to these games than racing round in circles is a lot harder than you think! :)

4. happyal

happyal Active Member

Did you watch it at the weekend on Motor's TV? It's surprising good to watch, even if I don't fully understand it yet.

From what I understand, most of the race doesn’t mean anything, you are just looking after your car, tyres etc waiting for the last 20 laps. You can almost guarantee that there will be a safety car in the last few laps. From what I can see they do this to make sure they get a close finish. The last few laps are a free for all, and it’s a mad house.

At Daytona, it’s a very high speed oval, you need to be “pushed” along by another car. It requires quite a bit of teamwork, and strategy to make sure you are in place for the last few laps. How much driver skill is involve, I don’t know. At smaller tracks it’s a lot different, i.e. they need to brake for “corners”

Next race on Motor’s TV is this Saturday, I’ll be watching again because I enjoyed the race last time.

5. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

​Not crashing into the fire truck is a valuable skill.

[video=youtube;4RijhM_POPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RijhM_POPc[/video]

6. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

I'm not sure what skills Pamela Anderson and Team Coordinator Markus Fux will bring to her new team goingDownForce1.

please log in to view this image

7. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

NASCAR:

It's really all about remaining in contention, whilst preserving that little bit extra for a final, hard push at the end. The way points are awarded is meant to spice things up but in reality, it makes little or no difference. Personally, I find it dull to watch because the challenge to drivers is so repetitive that it's virtually constant. But that is not to say that it's easy! - Remaining in contention against world class drivers is a major challenge regardless of the type of racing.

However, I'll mention one more thing which has the effect of dulling my interest - and something perhaps more controversial: the frequency of Safety Cars can have the effect of making NASCAR a bit of a lottery*.
    - - -o0o- - -

*SC's can of course affect all forms of track racing, including F1; but is much less likely to change the outcome.