1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What should/could our plan B be?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING, Feb 5, 2017.

1. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't really focused on the net spend.

As for the 25. Sorry but we supposedly had a distinct FSG policy regarding players coming in and whatever they like to call it the committee's very existence was supposed to stop exactly what you are describing: a mass turnover each time a manager is replaced.

So..as a policy, looking at the current squad players plus the fact that more than half the players brought in under FSG have gone...is it a policy that has worked for the first team?

It's not an FSG out argument...I was embarrassed to read some of our supporters abusing Linda last night and she wasn't even tweeting about us.

I was asking if this reflects a successful policy?

2. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

What's happened with Grujic? Is he injured? Have we loaned him out?

3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Injured.

4. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

I just think our squad depth and imbalance is really hurting us big time. When fit and firing, the first team can deliver but unfortunately the moment we lose one player the alternate is more of a makeshift rather than an understudy. Origi Studge all want to play as the striker and seem to have lost their confidence. Firmino is best as the striker but keeps getting shifted to accommodate other players.

We play the 4-3-3 and when it was working well every player knew their positions and where to be. I have mentioned before moving these players around different positions is affecting their Chemistry and you can see it in the disjointed play. One game Lallana is right wing the next left wing then back to midfield. As result some players have lost form.

The ideal scenario is to have direct competition specifically for players such as Coutinho and Mane and Henderson as they seem to be the only ones no matter how bad they play their is absolutely no competition. So come next game they are guaranteed to play. Chelsea have maintained the same formation but have like for like replacements. In their right system even average players can look good playing only one role (read alonso/moses). I'd rather put Ojo running at the defenders than remove Lalana from midfield.

Finally Henderson needs to go back to playing his simple role he seems to be way ahead of his position and any time the ball is punted up field its two defenders against attackers. The DM position requires discipline and an edge of small dirty fouls when beaten. Unfortunately Henderson will let the opponents to deep before pulling the player and getting booked.

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Wingers and target man.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

So just Man Utd then? Aka; the richest club in the world <ok>

7. moreinjuredthanowen

makes total sense.

especially on henderson. if he wants to play corss the ball be a winger or box to box player.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

<applause>

9. LuisDiazgamechanger

McAllister: Reds have to trust themselves

Gary McAllister has called on Jürgen Klopp's players to trust in themselves as they aim to overcome the poor form that has blighted their start to 2017.
    Liverpool have picked up just one win in 10 outings since the turn of the year, a sequence of results that has seen them edged out of the Premier League top four and their hopes of FA Cup and EFL Cup glory ended.
    Next up for the Reds is a meeting with high-flying Tottenham Hotspur, whose last defeat in all competitions came at the hands of Manchester United in December.
    But, while former midfielder McAllister expects a tough game, he believes the Anfield fixture is the perfect opportunity for Klopp's team to show their mental fortitude.
    He told Liverpoolfc.com: "You've got to trust yourself. As a player, if you make a mistake and there's a little murmur from the crowd, it's having that ability and mental strength to go on and get on the ball.
    "And if the pass presents itself again, you go for it. The easy thing to do is to play safe and not take any risks, and that's not the style of teams here at Anfield.
    "Trust in yourself, get the fans back onside, and it's amazing what a couple of results can do.
    "All of a sudden you can go from being in a bad run [to a good run] and, if we can go on a good run, you know what momentum is like at this club. Once we gather a little bit, anything can happen."
    McAllister also recalled the sage advice of one youth coach which helped him during the rare fallow patches of a trophy-laden career.
    "One of the things that resonates in my mind in bad runs is going back to an old coach I worked with way back when I was a youngster," he added.
    "Generally, in these little periods, he used to say, 'Lose yourself in hard work'.
    "And I think that's something that always stayed in my mind, that was a phrase that I used. Just getting back to basics and working hard for the team always helps."
    Liverpool have not suffered defeat to Spurs at Anfield since 2011, and boast an unbeaten record against the other members of the league's top six so far this season.
    As such, the least McAllister expects on Saturday is a response to the disappointing reverse at the hands of Hull City last weekend.
    "We'll definitely get a reaction. Our record against the top five/six is good, that's a fact, the stats back that up," he continued.
    "Tottenham are a team in fine form, they've got matchwinners, they've got some fantastic players, but we've got a great record against Spurs at Anfield and I want to see it continue.
    "It'll be toe to toe, the games against the big clubs there's no inches spared. It's going to be a battle."
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/253502-mcallister-reds-have-to-trust-themselves

10. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

It's all good and nice pressing high up the pitch when the opposition has the ball and all that...when it works. But our style of play leaves us open and we get caught out and we panic when they attack. No one seems to know where to go or what to do.

Would like to see us play more rigid. Like a 4-2-3-1. A proper DM next to Hendo with the front 4 playing as we are now in a free roam sort of thing. Our players can defend when they're organised. Not to say we can't improve on LB and Lovren.

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Klopp moved from his trusted 4231 to a 433. I do think it's to do with the fact that a) the defence needs more protection and b) our midfielders are in capable of playing in a 2 (except Can who was good last year).

In terms of our players can defend - we improved defensively because our attack would hound defenders, score and generally put pressure on the opposition. As soon as we lost that, the defence and midfield weaknesses were no longer masked.

This is the issue wth LFC - we have relied on the attack for too long. I think Klopp focused on attack first but I wouldn't be surprised if he overhauls the defence this summer.

12. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

keep doing what we have been doing earlier in the season <ok>

The way we've been playing , even in a relatively poor form , I would expect at least a draw from the match with Spurs. I think we should go for the win, even though Spurs would be spending a lot of the time defending.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

I think there are several facets to the issue.

We have had FSG for 6 years.

1. Clearly they paid our deficits over the first years and set out to mr comolli a strict budget AFTER mr comolli wasted a lot of money. surely that was a fia rpolicy at that time

2. the committee itself IMO was a reaction to rodgers not wanting a tecnhical direcotr and an on the fly thing absentee landlords came up with to put someone who knew something in there. It clearly was lunacy

3. FSG now appointed klopp. nobody can really be sure if it was strategy of plain dumb luck. I really don't know what policy is in place now. Klopp managed a bascially really low spend thus far but who knows it thats orders or its his policy. we can only tell when they come to the summer. Even klopp must see no amount of coaching and ball licking can turn this lot in to confident superstars.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  14. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Comolli is on record as saying that they come in with this Moneyball idea of not spending more than £20m on any player, and ensuring they were all under 25, etc.

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Nothing wrong with that as a guide but the odd breaking of the rule is needed

* Record Points Total likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

please log in to view this image

17. moreinjuredthanowen

in 2010 that might even have worked but in 2016 its now 40/50mil.

simple.

they might have had some naive idea due to smoke blown up their arses by broughtan and ayre but i'm sure they've learned the hard way.

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We did this the other day. Only Man Utd have broken the £50m barrier more than one (English clubs)

19. moreinjuredthanowen

more than one player bought?

I think chelsea's record buys are intereting

they have a huge glut of players on the 25-25 mil type range including buys going away back but torres stands haead and shoulders above it.

It certainly seems utd have abandoned the ferguson way and the wallace and gromit ceo loves a big buy and records. so dunno how that will go for them but i suspect the mess real eded up in for a while doing ti could be the case.

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Wish I had a clue what you were sing mate... <laugh>

We all know we can't compete with the spending power of Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd so why kid yourself that we should be blowing £40m-£50m on individual players?