1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What QPR are looking for this summer

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jun 23, 2017.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

What QPR are looking for this summer
    By David McIntyre 23/06/2017
    Embed from Getty Images

It looks like being another busy summer at QPR, who are again looking to revamp their squad ahead of the coming season.
    With a new-look scouting set-up led by Gary Penrice, Rangers have identified a number of possible targets and are hoping to offload some players in order to pave the way for more new signings.
    Veering to the left
    Embed from Getty Images

Manager Ian Holloway is keen to bring in a striker and a midfielder, with Karl Henry having been released, Ben Gladwin possibly on his way to Blackburn, and Rangers expecting Ariel Borysiuk to move on. Barnsley’s Josh Scowen, who is out of contract, is a top target.
    Rangers are also looking to bring in a left winger and, interestingly, a left-sided centre-back. There were high hopes for Joel Lynch when he arrived from Huddersfield last summer but, largely because of niggling injuries, he was not the mainstay of the defence they thought he would be.
    The final-year list
    Embed from Getty Images

Although not employed by QPR at the time, Penrice initially made them aware of the potential availability of Luke Freeman, who was in the final year of his contract and was signed for a knockdown price in January after rejecting a new deal at Bristol City.
    With clubs frequently facing the similar threat of losing players for no fee as the end of their contract draws closer, this is something Rangers are looking to exploit and a host of players in the final year of their current deal – and therefore potentially available for less than their true value – have been identified.
    Signings of this nature tend to be made towards the end of transfer windows when clubs are forced to accept a player will not sign a new contract and time is running out to bank whatever money for him they can.
    Jacks of all trades
    Embed from Getty Image
    The versatility of players such as Matthew Rose, Marcus Bignot, Richard Edghill, Kevin Gallen and Martin Rowlands helped Holloway achieve success during his first spell as Rangers manager and this is something he is very much looking to replicate this time around.
    Plus, with restrictions resulting from Financial Fair Play, the need for players who can operate in multiple positions is seen by the QPR management as even more important. It’s a top priority

UTRs likes this.
  2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Good read. As ever, needs to translate to points on the board.

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

We need some depth and quality in our squad, it was noticebly thin at times last season, hence us ending up so low in the table (added to the randomness of Olliea tactics!). I'm hoping he gets the squad he wants in time to mold them into a cohesive unit that knows what each other are doing once they get onto the pitch - curious to see who will get the captains armband this season, as Ned isn't up to the job....

4. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I think Olly is looking just to keep his job

5. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

What we need is an injury free season.
    Ollie seems to have got his tactics OK until Hall got injured...and the tinkering after that with different people (Perch) in Halls role...and then going to a flat back 4...really took the team off the rails.

2 CBs , with Hall in front...Robinson fit, Cousins fit and good, Freeman given reign to let loose....and buy a 15-20 goal CF...we will not trouble the relegation spots...
    Otherwise ...doom and gloom I suspect

6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Up until the last international break of the season, and we'd just pummelled Rotherham I was quietly confident we would be hovering around 8-10th in the coming season with some new additions to the squad - we all know what happeeed after that, so which version of QPR are we going to get this time round? Not overly optimistic at the moment, but hoping that Ollie et-al can surprise us with a team to proud of this year, something us long-suffering fans surely deserve!

7. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Loftus rd needs to be a fortress once more
    by the sound of last season and a few games I
    saw on tv very quiet shake the stadium with
    noise

8. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

"Kevin Gallen and Martin Rowlands helped Holloway achieve success during his first spell as Rangers manager and this is something he is very much looking to replicate this time around."

We almost got relegated!
    Success my R'rssssss.