1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What little things really Bug you.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Well it's important not to get carried away, I feel...

2. Sir_Luther_Blissett

I'll have to turn the computer on again to deal with BBC Breakfast presenters.

3. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i think you're right to keep calm about it, well done ;)

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Wrinklies who take their cars for a walk on the open road, travel at 30mph on twisty turny roads where overtaking is impossible, religiously obey the 'Slow' signs written on the road and slow down to 20mph or lower, slow down to 15mph when driving through villages, blithely drive past a layby and never ever pull over to let the 56 cars fuming behind them overtake, only speed up when a miniscule opportunity to overtake them appears .....................:steam:

Sigh - am now off to run the gauntlet yet again!

5. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Ok, mine...

Christmas shopping/shoppers
    Having to go to school/college/uni/work with glory hunters who have not discernable link with that club (school seemed to be Liverpool, then gradually became Man Utd)
    Orange - signal is rubbish in this area... always keep giving them 'one more go' to get it right, not this year!
    Poeple who don't like doing their own work so always try and palm it off on me - or worse, people who can't do their own job so get me to do it!!

Sure I'll think of more later... :D

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a great display you have there SLB. <laugh>

Another thing that gets my goat is the UK Border Agency. Last week my crossing was smooth, the ferry was two thirds empty and we arrived in Portsmouth half an hour early. We then sat on the dock for three quarters of an hour while all of the passports were scanned and the owners glared at. Seeing as we had been scanned in Cherbourg why is it necessary to do it all again. On the return journey there was not a single person in sight wanting to look at said document.

In case you think that I only moan about UK things, paperwork in France is beyond reality.

I needed to exchange my UK driving licence for a French one. Passport required, new photos, old licence, application form, form to say that I was not banned from driving, form to say that I was not applying for a HGV replacement, Council Tax and Electricity Bills to show that I actually live here, and a self addressed envelope for them to send me the new one in. All of the originals were to be shown at the prefecture and photocopies provided.

Having filled the desk with all of this paperwork it was sorted through, with the lady happy to keep my old licence and give me a letter explaining that the department had it should I be stopped for a document check.

At the point of departure I casually said that Mme would coming in to do hers shortly. Oh, but in addition she will need her birth certificate to show her maiden name. :(

7. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Interesting that OFH ,because when I went down to my local police station to answer some queries on legal road use!!! I was advised that my UK license was good enough as it was part of the EU!!(of which Norway is not!)and that I didnt need a noggy License! So to this day I am driving around on a UK license!
    However You can bring a bike or car into the country and use it for 12months,Then you have to register it to a noggy number plate which costs you about double what said car bike is worth<doh> !If you get caught breaking the rules you get a huge fine or have said bike car confiscated!
    SLB thank you started my day with a hearty chuckle<laugh> Really well put together and very funny (I could imagine you in full John Cleese mode)!

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes you can use a UK licence here, but I discovered that the photo card had expired and had to be up-dated. Seeing as I do not have a UK address it seemed that a French one was the best option and will keep me going for years as it does not expire when I eventually reach a certain age.

9. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

That sent me me scurrying away to find wallet and check license, I need to do mine in 2014, Thanks for the heads up Frenchie for I wouldnt have known<ok>

10. Supergeo2411Wfc

People that drive half the speed limit, and people in ridiculously fast cars that drive under the speed limit, I actually felt angry overtaking a BMW the other dayyyy:emoticon-0184-tmi:

11. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

SLB, I once worked in a school which held a reunion evening for former pupils. A returning student was telling the Head that he now worked for the National Meteorogy Centre and that the technology they now had was so highly developed that they could tell what the weather was like without even looking out of the window.
    "Yes, I always thought that was how you did it," was the Head's dry retort.

12. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

Generally, it's language based. I'm not a real Eats Shoots and Leaves Nazi, but people who say 'thin' when they mean narrow make me angry. Genuinely angry.The opposite of wide is narrow. The opposite of thick, or fat, is thin. Completely different. FFS. Also JK Rowling. Don't get me started. Grrr.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Harrow - bet you get involved in the supermarket - 5 items or fewer / less debate :)

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OFH - they banned me from the open air pool at Bushey - it was compulsory at our school but apparently I turned blue and they were so worried they did not let me go again :)

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

What about the modern vacuum sealed plastic for various things you buy that is almost impossible to open whether you use scissors / knives or anything?

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My pet hate is phone systems at companies where they take you through a stirng of press 3 then press 4 than 2 etc and when you finally get to the end - you get a short message that either says "all our operators are busy at the moment please try later" or even worse - "our offices are closed, goodbye" and they HANG UP on you grrrrrrr :mad:

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

and on SLB's weather theme and only if you get the Welsh forecast BENAZ AKHBAR - I won't even start - Lennietta has to give me anti-irritant pills whenever she appears :)

18. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Not everybody agrees, but I welcome people from different ethnic origins to our shores. It makes for a vibrant and interesting life. But I can't stand tokenism. Tell me how that lad on BBC Sport, Manesh somebody got the job? Follow his career line and tell me that wasn't tokenism. Disgusting.
    The BBC are also obsessed by skin colour. So their tokenism, which is rife, only extends to those of different skin colour. There's no token Poles, French, Americans. Ironically, racism in its full glory <doh>. Somehow, don't think that comment would last long on the Beeb :wink:. And, to re-iterate, I am not racist myself. One of the things I don't like about Baldock is that it is not as ethnically diverse as when we lived in London, and I want my boys to grow up tolerant of people from all over the world, of all races, both genders, whatever sexuality. Living with people different to yourself is the best way to learn and become tolerant, I believe. But don't patronise me, BBC, or devalue the talents of those make it by merit, by making tokenistic appointments on the basis of skin colour <steam>.

19. Sir_Luther_Blissett

And the weather rant was not supposed to be funny <grr> - it was supposed to rally us to march on BBC TV Centre... :wink:.

20. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

Funny, Leo, the fewer/less thing has never really bothered me! Could be because it is debatable - less than 5 as in 4 is less than 5. or fewer than 5 items. Fewer is obviously correct, but for some reason it doesn't bug me. JK Rowling really pisses me off in the inappropriate use of the 'soar'. To me, soaring implies upward movement, but Joanne uses it even for downward motion. I mean, the ball soared over the bar, or even into the top corner, works, but it wouldn't soar into the bottom corner any where else except Harry Potter land. Grr.

And before you ask, I read them to my kids.

Plus her writing style is teeth-grindingly dull.

On the other hand, if she wanted to invest her billions into Watford FC, 'd put her right up there with Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Victor Hugo.