1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do we need?

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, May 28, 2017.

1. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

So I've not been managing to actually watch many games recently for various reasons. It seems as though we're far from struggling for goals, but the defence is a touch porous.

Therefore can I ask for a condensed thesis on what/who we need in various positions? Bring me up to speed chaps!

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Might as well start with a reminder of our current squad.

please log in to view this image

3. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

If we can keep the majority of this squad together then with a few good additions we could have a very good squad. Like most teams this time of year theres some dead wood in there but id say the majority have a part to play.

We definitely need centre defenders, hoping we can get Kalas but if not then we need 2 new CB's imo. Ream done well towards the end of the season but hes not my cup of tea, and the others mainly Madl and Sigurdsson don't seem to be favoured by the gaffer.

Midfield is where we are quite strong, perhaps we just need one or two squad players to cover injuries and suspensions, particularly a defensive midfielder to cover McDonald. Nothing too drastic needed here, unless god forbid we lose a few of our better players.

Definitely need strikers!! As mentioned we haven't struggled for goals but the need for a good quality striker is still there for us. We create so many chances in games we just need that quality striker in there to convert the chances into goals.

Thats my two bobs worth anyway.

4. Cottager58

Agree with your two bobs, Fab. However, I'd add a goalie.

Button had just too many bloopers; Villa and Derby to mention the obvious but there were so many heart stopping moments. Also, there is his reluctance to come off his line.

Bettinelli came in for the last eight or so games and the confidence level rose - don't think it's a coincidence that from pretty much that point on Ream actually looked very decent. And, to use Bidley's phrase, we became less porous. But his distribution is awful. And he ditthers too much before kicking the ball. I had to laugh at the flack he got from Norwich fans about "time wasting" - little did they realise that was Marcus at his "normal".

I like Marcus and feel sure young Joronen will make it (with us or not dependent on his contract talks). But to push on next season a new, experienced (?) goalkeeper is essential.

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Good to have you back Bidley. Starting from the back.
    I'd like to see us go for a respected experienced keeper (eg.Petr Cech) someone to give the defence more confidence and make the opposition think even if they get past the defence they still have to beat this keeper.
    Full Backs are catered for, both sides Odio, Fredericks, and Malone Sessegnon, as long as no one leaves can all play as wing backs althoygh I'd like them to be coached on their defensive skills.

Central Defence, Both Stearman and Sigurdsson have been huge disappointments for me, I thought they'd do the business but have come up short for me. We will probably lose Kalas. Ream although he has recently stepped up his consistency I still think he lacks concentration for a whole game. May be look at the Bundesliga players who are good technical players but who defend well. We need height for corners.

Defensive Midfield we need to find a McDonald Mark II as Back up (may be Madl could do the job). The same goes for Johansen, need a backup (maybe Adeniran), if we can keep LVC and get him to play that type of box to box role that could be the answer.

Attacking Midfield we seem to be catered for here, with players who score, keeping hold of Cairney as the midfield pivot is crucial, if he goes then you have to bring in someone of the same quality.

Striker required, someone in the ilk of Saha, quick, mobile, good in the air, and can occupy both opposition Centre Backs ,and someone who can score penalties.

My mantra is 'All I ask of Fulham is to have a team who can compete with the top teams' the rest is in the Lap of the 'Refs' and Lady Luck :emoticon-0143-smirk

Cottager58 likes this.
  6. Cottager58

Cech would be such a bonus but there would have to be quite a bit of money juggling on wages I'd suspect. Alternatives could be Shay Given (41) or John Ruddy (30)? Both have been released by their clubs - Stoke and Norwich.

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Cottager, not seeing why we would consider 41 year old version of Given (a brilliant EPL keeper in his day) or Ruddy who isn't up to playing for Norwich. I'd say we already have better than both of these; Cech is a different story.

Had we of acquired our striker/s in January, I think we would be in the EPL next season. If we can get Kalas and Piazon from the Dark Side, we have an excellent foundation going forward as long as we can get the striker we want and reinforce the squad for injuries and suspensions as mentioned above, we will do very well. Refs and luck and penalty taking being kind, again as mentioned previously would be a bonus.

8. Cottager58

Simply put forward as possibles based on their "experience" 2whites. And 41 is not 'old' for a keeper. Ruddy I think has had behind the scene issues rather than playing ones.

9. 2whitestripes

Fair enough, I just think we could and should be looking for better, not knowing the Ruddy issues .......... pun intended :emoticon-0100-smile

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks gents.

It's a shame we couldn't keep the fella from Coldplay, he seemed to be doing the business up front. Not sure why he went back to Derby but fair play.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Ruddy might be good. Given would only be good if we also buy a time machine and go back about 7 to 10 years.

12. Cottager58

What about a recall for David Stockdale then?

please log in to view this image

He's rejected Brighton's offer of a new contract and is about to become a 'free' agent.

Captain Morgan and 2whitestripes like this.
  13. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Stocky back!

14. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

The fact that we don't actually need all that much is testament to how well our 2016 summer recruitment went. We are looking for upgrades in a few positions (centre-back, keeper, striker), but we actually only need a new striker. We certainly don't need to repeat the 8 new starters we got last summer.

Bidley and Cravingawin like this.
  15. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

I ve heard rumours Stickdale is off to Chelsea to be number 2! I think I'm one of the few that is more than happy with Betts and Button as number 2, thought Bettinelli looked improved when he came in last season and at his age he should improve more each season.

Bidley likes this.
  16. 2whitestripes

Spot on Surlyc

17. Cottager58

Stockdale has only gone and signed for Birmingham City. 'Arry 'aint wasting any time!

upload_2017-6-13_19-38-52.png

18. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Ince, Jeanvier and a striker get it done early and we can all go off on holiday!