1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Burly Arms

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Lovearsenalcock, Feb 2, 2017.

1. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

Yeah. Its the "natural" exercise that used yo keep me fit.

I did martial arts which never felt like gym and played football, squash etc which again was just fun not exercise

Non of my mates do any of that anymore

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I have trouble with my knees too (Rugby for several years) I never run on tarmac or concrete, only on a machine in the gym.

If you really can't run, row, spin, etc. Both will burn up calories at a fair rate.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I find it harder in summer, I just can't get going in the gym.

Still play squash for a 40min intensive hit once or twice a week but my knees now feel ****ed and I can feel my achilles tendons ready to pop so I hold back.
    It never used to be the case but I genuinely think one will go any minute.

4. thefanwithnoname

Probably could run of i lost a bit of weight first.

Fancy spinning actually will look into that

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

If I couldn't run or do anything high impact, the first place I'd be going is the pool.

Exercise, and life in general becomes much easier when you're not carrying weight that you don't need.

Nutrition first though, there's a world of sites out there that tell you what the good foods are, all you need to do is make meals out of the good ingredients.

Choose whole foods, water instead of sugary drinks and as a general rule, (apart from cheat meals) avoid anything that's been processed.

thefanwithnoname likes this.
  6. thefanwithnoname

I love squash and used to play it regularly. Its finding a venue these days and worse is funding someone who can give a decent work out.

Last guy who played went like this

I serve he returns, I play a shot... Point. I have never been more bored

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, that is ****.

Local leisure centres are closing their courts in favour of creche's at a rate of knots, it's a dying sport. It's ridiculous.

Fortunately both where I work and live there is a leisure centre with league ladders or else I wouldn't get to play. You put your name down, find your level and then play against people you don't know. You're not then playing the same person week after week. Ideal.

I play team when I'm at home too, which I haven't been able to do for two years now.

8. thefanwithnoname

Not a fan of sugary stuff. My weakness is food though. But in the main I am more a cook from fresh with decent ingredients kind if person.

Its activity and timing that has become the issue

9. Tel (they/them)

For anybody who feels like their body is letting them down, I'd recommend Bikram Yoga or hot yoga if you can't get the official Bikram where you live. It's expensive, but you only really need to do the 30 days or 60 days, it's absolutely fantastic for body and mind, and it always sorts out my niggles and trapped nerves etc.

For burning fat it is immense, and you don't have to be good at it, you just have to persevere. The first 90 mins, I won't lie, it's pretty awful due to the heat but if you power through, it can give you things no gym will get you.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It goes on for longer than 90 minutes?

<yikes>

11. Tel (they/them)

Use myfitnesspal mate, for the next 7 days, input everything you consume and it'll show you exactly where your diet is failing you.

12. thefanwithnoname

Yeah I joined a local club at 15 and would rock up and find someone who would be happy to play. But things with most racquet sports have deteriorated. Tennis courts are accidents waiting to happen, any remaining squash courts are scutty and in need of repair

Even the swimming pools are for everything but swimming, its like coffee there's all kinds of fancyvshit but you can't get a simple cup of coffee. Pools have allsorts of sessions happening but a 45 minute "normal" session is at stupid times or not worth it as it lasts about 15 minutes

13. Tel (they/them)

<laugh>

90 mins per class.

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I did think!

I have done and intend to try yoga again. It's a Monday evening down where I work and I usually play squash that evening but I can sort that.

This isn't the hot version though. I might look into that again mind, there is somewhere down here does it but I seem to recall it wasn't a convenient night.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  15. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't need to run mate.

Best bit of advice I've had is to get up and go out for a fairly brisk walk (it might have been something I read on here to be honest). Get your heart rate going and your blood pumping. Gets your metabolism up, wakes you up and gets your day of to the right start. If you've got a dog it's the perfect time, I didn't realise how much my dog kept me 'fit' until she died last summer.
    Do things that keep you active somewhat. Take the stairs, walk to work etc.

You don't need to be doing long runs or whatever to lose weight. Just sort your diet out, cut out the **** you eat and drink, get yourself a big water bottle to drink regularly from and the fat will melt away before you know it.

My trouble was that I'd never be hungry enough for a meal because I'd always be snacking. I'd think "I've barely eaten anything" because I would rarely have an actual meal. As soon as I switched to having a proper breakfast, lunch and dinner I started to notice the difference.

Find an active sport that you might enjoy. Cycling, golf, tennis ... even things like 5 a side footie with your mates. Just once or twice a week.

I'm hoping to get under 14 stone before I go on my holidays next summer. I'm about 16 and a half right now, lost half a stone in a month. That's without cutting on stuff like the occasional night out, the occasional cheat day etc.

16. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Anyone watching/listening to the U21's? Just started. 0-0

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah sat in the boozer watching it.

Made a bright start tbh, weird watching an England side who look comfortable on the ball <laugh>

Skylarker likes this.
  18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Unlucky there.

Prowseys set pieces look very dangerous

19. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

I can't be expected to remember any such bet, I remember making one, just not the details, feel free to pursue this issue on my behalf,
    many thanks
    Smk

20. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Brilliant from Hughes there <applause>