1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a load of speel

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Pembo was told what to do as are most assistants and coaches. Des Taylor has allegedly joined Liverpool and was not a waste of time.

2. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Its called a public face. It is more than rumours, its results on the pitch that indicate it.

3. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

So yeah, like I said, pembo was PART of the problem.
    Well clearly he was, He was brought in to help get us players to push for play offs. The table doesn't lie.

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Its a difficult role when the Manager / Head Coach has entirely lost their way. In many respects they are at the mercy of the XI's results and of tactics / team selection they do not agree with.

The influence they have is minimal. Its a hard thing to grasp for many. You could be a brilliant coach but are judged because of the Managers incompetence, lack of nous, experience, confidence in their ideas ...

5. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but coaches are not robots that only do what the managers tell them to do. Going by that logic, the competency of a coach has zero effect as they're just regurgitating or doing delegated tasks and nothing further.

Of course you can be a brilliant coach and be judged wrongly, the thing is there's no evidence of that. In fact we see very little of the ability of any coach. I know absolutely nothing about how good or bad Pembo is. The issue is, I'm not the one claiming he was brilliant/rubbish/whatever, but a vast group of city fans are.

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Again, you are guessing of what goes on, pure speculation with no proof whatsoever in what is said or done or what influence etc..
    It's your opinion with maybe an educated guess, that's all.

7. Cliftonville

No guessing involved. No opinion. Its a norm. A norm at Ashton Gate except Head Coaches/Managers move into a role with the backroom staff already in place. .

Mr Pemberton is being blemished by the worst Manager I have seen at Ashton Gate since 1975 (when I first started attending). Others with similarly poor results had mitigating circumstances, in comparison Lee Johnson has been given the world ... And others are now being sacked for his failings.

Red Hub likes this.
  8. Cliftonville

The Manager delegates tasks to the coach. That is how it works.

Can you imagine John Pemberton running training that did not follow Steve Cotterills 3-5-2 ? "Ok boys, ignore him, knows **** all, flat back four it is today, and you play in the hole Jet where your best!"

Red Hub likes this.
  9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

It's been said many times, 99% of what is "spouted" ( meant in a mellow tone) on here is pure guess work, conjecture or 2 +2 = 3 or even the 5th cousin of my great uncles grandfathers gardeners son told me. Watched the mike Ashton thing, and is there any reason to b***s*** , NO I don't think so in any case there are no promises of wonderous days to come, of people doing nasty things ( mind you they wouldn't really be forth coming on that) it simply an interview "TO DO WHAT SO MANY ASK FOR AND THEN MOAN ABOUT give us some information" also to publicly make a statement regarding JP, which in my opinion was not just a quick passing " JP has left and we wish him the best" but a determined thankyou and well wishing from all and sundry, designed to quell the rumour mongers who dream up all sorts of "excuses"
    Explained the chopping and changing and knee jerks have to stop here .. we have a plan and we are going to stick to it .. did it say Lee is going to stay come what may? no he stated Lee is the head coach for the foreseeable future. You cant make or have a plan if one of the people in it are not going to be part of it, and is negative to say well we are not sure if Lee will be here so we are putting it all on hold.....
    then explained the role of Mac, a different type of coach to JP if you read between the lines past and now... JP is a steady hand, maybe his ideas /methods are outdated? whereas MAC is "youthful and dynamic"
    Time now to put away the thoughts of "LEE OUT" and run with the beast", GET BEHIND the team and see if "as 12th man" we the fans can encourage our team to be playing championship football again next season.
    its deaf ears for LEE OUT now, at least until seasons end....

BCFCRob likes this.
  10. oneforthebristolcity

It's a Norm?? It's a norm that LJ would be sacked with what's gone on the field and the poor results. But he's still there.....So "The Norm" is out the window.
    Guessing, Speculation and thinking you know exactly what is going on down there, is bollocks!

11. BCFCRob

You're stating this as fact though when in reality (I presume) you actually have no idea of the specifics. One thing is relying too much on the job descriptions and distinguishing between head coach and manager. I'm sure at the time of contract signing there were differences, but in reality, it takes actually being in the job and manipulation to see to what extent that manager or coach takes up the desired role, or whether it is moulded to their preferences.

And you're using an incredibly simple analogy. Alex Ferguson never coached sessions. It's entirely possible that the manager would explain to coaches how he wanted to play, perhaps to a specific formation or whatever, and then left it to the coaches to train appropriately.

As I keep repeating, in reality, we know nothing, and I'm not sure how your examples are relevant to JP aside from absolving him of seemingly any responsibility.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  12. BCFCRob

P.S. Sorry if it seems like my posts are picking on you Cliftonville. We seem to be posting in the same threads and given results and attitudes at the moment I think we're both quite vociferous in our opinions!

13. oneforthebristolcity

Like you say, we never know what goes on there, we don't know what is said nor put into practice.....things like this aren't just black and white.
    Not every club is ran the same way etc....
    It's just ridiculous people saying that JP is the innocent party and LJ is the only one to blame when we DON'T know what goes on behind the scenes.
    I did say three weeks before the transfer window when some fans were calling for LJ to get booted, that if we do it, we need to clear the lot out!!

BCFCRob likes this.
  14. Cliftonville

Yes. That is the norm. We will play this, in this shape, I want these patterns of play, train for it ... And the Coach runs what he thinks is the appropriate sessions, or actual instructed drills.

That is the reality. Everywhere.

Coaches do have a degree of responsibility. Mr Johnson may have felt that Mr Pembertons sessions are not what he wants, they are not high tempo, hard enough, too hard, positive/encouraging etc so he is gone, but Mr Pemberton is not responsible for the multitude of team formation and its subsequent results. No coach can train thoroughly for that many formations.

15. BCFCRob

Fair enough, that's true I absolutely don't doubt. It's the seemingly absolving JP of any blame which is confusing to me. It's almost as if you're saying it's impossible for him to have been incompetent because ultimately it is due to LJ, which is possibly but not necessarily the case.

16. oneforthebristolcity

Most of this is absolute garbage, I co managed a senior Saturday club up until just a few years ago and we worked on several formations with different players, we had 25 players in the squad. the co manager used to take most of the coaching sessions with loads of formations in mind. In fact it was part of our success being able to adapt to different situations and teams we played. I was known as the actual manager as I normally named the team sheet. But we would go though things together and it would be partly his input that would sway me in my team selection. Of course, I had control, if things weren't going well, but his feedback to me and of the players was very influential on the pitch and results.
    Your take on what goes on seems to come from football management computer games and not reality.
    If JPs coaching sessions wasn't up to scratch, that would have a massive affect on what happens in games.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  17. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Lets remember LJ is head coach and therefore should be actively coaching. The whole set with MA is that he takes up a number of roles that allow the head coach to concentrate more on the first team. LJ appears to have changed his job description and if he is delegating all the coaching sessions, then what the hell is he doing the rest of the time?

18. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Tweeting?

19. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

What about Holden?, things went totally tits up after he joined. Is he to blame as well or just a coincidence?

20. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Probably hiding at the moment.