1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We've Gone National Press.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson facing axe if struggling Robins are beaten by Newcastle

City have lost 10 of their last 13 matches to edge closer to the Championship drop zone and angry fans turned on Johnson after the defeat to Fulham

please log in to view this image

Johnson finds himself under pressure

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson is facing the sack if his side lose at Newcastle on Saturday.
    Chairman Steve Lansdown is ready to wield the axe after a dismal run of ten defeats in 13 games have left
    City fearing relegation from the Championship.

Angry City supporters turned on Johnson during Wednesday’s 2-0 defeat at home to Fulham and have also started a petition calling for him to be given the boot.

Lansdown is reluctant to bow to fan pressure but is worried by the financial implications of dropping back into League One after bankrolling a number of well-paid signings in January.

Johnson has been in charge at Ashton Gate since February last year after leaving Barnsley to replace the sacked Steve Cotterill. He has vowed not to quit.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-9905983

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Just get shot of him he is an embarrassment.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I never want to see us lose, but I just hope Newcastle put us out of our misery and put this whole sorry, and long running farce behind us !

The question is why is Lansdown still ****ing about and is about to 'wield the axe' after arguably the hardest game of the season ? Why not a month or so ago, or if he really had to wait, why not straight after the Fulham game ?

You couldn't make this mess up if you tried !!

Landsown and the club are a joke.

Red Robin likes this.
  4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Why wait- Even on song we would do well to get any kind of result against Newcastle. If we do lose, does he then fire the gun?. LJ must feel really motivated for tomorrow then.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

"He has vowed not to quit."

I can't say I blame him, he wants a nice big fat juicy pay off, his mate Lansdown will give him that, no problem..

6. Angelicnumber16

And whose fault is that !??

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Our illustrious owner by any chance?

8. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

If, and a big if this is true, how utterly ridiculous and quite frankly weak from Steve Lansdown. If he has now decided he wants Lee out, then be man enough to say so and do it. Don't hide behind saying if we lose at Newcastle of all games he will get the sack, as frankly no matter where our form was, this was probably the one game of the season we knew we had little to no chance of winning!!
    Steve Lansdown is making a mockery of this club!

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Why do I not buy newspapers anymore .... because 70% is adverts 29% is any old sh*** or drivel they can dredge up and sales of the mirror is down 60% in the SW ( alledgedly) so dig up some s*** as the Taylor thing went quiet.... I bet the story was fed through on a fee from EVIL POST

BrightredRickster likes this.
  10. Angelicnumber16

Again

11. Angelicnumber16

Could all be total BS of course (as opposed to all of the BS in BS3 currently) but I've heard a rumour that Holden and Pemberton have already gone and Johnson is just there as a figurehead until after tomorrows game.

12. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi guys - just an observation - no pack drill.

It's so frustrating for the paying supporters of a club (whichever club that might be!) to see a problem that's staring you in the face and not being addressed by those who have the power to do so.

We've had enough of our problems over here in recent years but hopefully our much maligned owner has accepted the footballing advice offered instead of continuing to plough his own furrow to the detriment of our club.

Just reading some of the comments on here recently there has been something of a turnaround of opinion about the effectiveness of your own owner. When I posed the observation a few months ago that there had been some disquiet about Lansdown in the past I was shouted down to the effect that he was a local lad made good and totally in tune with the club and its' needs. Doesn't seem like that now.

His defence of a failing manager (or silence at the very least) is a mark of the complacency of power.

He's an autocratic owner who doesn't need you and your opinions was a criticism levelled at Tan when he first took us on some 6 years back. He appears to have learnt a lot since then but in Lansdown's case his lack of footballing nous hasn't sunk in yet after God knows how may years.

Quality managership of a club is crucial to its' future success and an absolute necessity when it comes to saving it. Warnock has demonstrated that in spades but I fear Johnson has been found wanting big time.

Changing him might not provide the answer, but not changing him would be a worse mistake leaving you wondering "what if......" when it's all too late.

Redprintt and Red Robin like this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

SL is a different kettle of fish to tan, he has had a dream to leave the city that started him on the road to being a billionaire.... the Bristol sports complex..yet to be finished, 1 stand to go integration of sorts and backing of more than just football his aim ...
    and there in lies the question and answer to the " the chicken and the egg " so much gets spouted about we should have or we should not have had we scored then / we might have won by/ we missed 6 chances/etc /would have been a different result
    "would have been a different result" is the only true statement ... it could have been win lose or draw ... its never to late, its just the wrong time

14. Angelicnumber16

Hello Old Sparkey,

You've summed it up very nicely.

I for one have never liked or trusted Lansdown who may be rich beyond our levels of comprehension, but he is no more qualified to run a football club than you or I, and doesn't seem to know left from right or more importantly when things are broken and beyond repair in this instance. Any laughably he offered LJ a contract extension a short while ago.

Johnson has to (and I believe now will) go. It's all a question of timing as to whether it's tomorrow, or Monday. I hope his Smugness hasn't left it too late. A few on here wanted a change as soon as we hit a record number of straight defeats.

It makes him and the club look frankly totally out of touch and incompetent, which I believe they both largely are.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Totally missing the point. Being a "man with a dream" doesn't qualify him as an owner of a football club possessing a footballing brain.

From what I've read he's running the club for his own interests within his empire, and as much as that should coincide with your interests as Bristol City supporters, it clearly does not.

He may think he is right but that often comes with the arrogance of total power.

Hi A16 - hope you turn it around as I can't see us going up though Chamionship football for us next season is a bonus after our disastrous start under Trollope.

Redprintt likes this.
  16. Angelicnumber16

Hi OS
    The main saving grace for us has been the worse (so far) form of Rotherham, Blackburn and Wigan which has so far kept us out of the bottom 3.

But we've lost more games than anyone in the division with the exception of Rotherham which tells it's own story, and the owner has a lot to answer for in allowing it to get anywhere this stage of meltdown.

We need a few wins to pull ourselves out of this mess and we still have to visit both Blackburn and Wigan.

Redprintt likes this.
  17. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Sound words from one and all and a lot of my sentiments for many years came to the fore because I have had this feeling that he is the quintessential control freak (probably why he got where he is in the business world) that for some strange reason is generally on a different wavelength from the people he hires. That's all very well and good in his mind, but it must be a destroyer of some of his employees (Lee included), and people who talk out of both sides of their mouth are very difficult to comprehend. Where on earth is he coming from and more scary where the hell is he intending to go?

18. johngalleyfan2

name me 20 owners out of 92 who have a footballing brain .... what owners do / they put around them to take care of the football ... in big business and in politics the person at the top might not be any good with the company subject matter but put people around them do know ..many CEO's have time at 6 or more totally diverse companies ... and SL didn't suddenly become a billionaire and say ah lets start getting involved with football ................

19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

You're shooting yourself in the foot with that argument. The fact is that Lansdown seems to be making the decisions himself and not relying on "people around him".

Successful owners have successful management teams around them. That's not just the club football manager but officials who run the club from a football perspective and not take all the decisions themselves.

20. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Lansdown is the major issue here and we need to face that fact because I can't see him changing any time soon - so you pay your money and you take your choice and go from there.