1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Westley

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 9, 2012.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

John Beck Mk2

2. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

Graham Westley would not be a bad appointment if he can sort the rot which is in the squad at Deepdale. This IMO has been the root of the problem for along time & not the managers & until this is dealt with managers will always be to blame. Westley has a good track record by getting Stevenage promoted with back to back promotions & possibly a third. To give all that up he must be completely mad. I think Neil Warnock would be my choice as it seems it needs a tough manager to wake the players up.

3. tommyt

tommyt Member

Not convinced he'll come. His business background has made him a fairly wealthy man, but this is based in London, as is his family. How will he cope; live in an hotel and commute back and forward to London? Not ideal.

Our most recent successful manager, David Moyes, lives locally and while with us travelled great distances to take in matches, something that GW might find unattractive.

Having said all this if appointed lets give him a chance. No one else is likely to make a better fist of it.

4. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

If he does come I can see changes in the team. I would not be surprised if he brings his own staff & sign some players from his old club. PNE will have all that in hand as to his accommodation I would imagine.

5. themaclad

Warnock would do for me as well

6. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

There was a very good blog by a Stevenage supporter in the LEP yesterday. Based on what this supporter wrote, it would be unfair to label GW as John Beck Mk2. According to this blog, GW is thorough & prepares his team very well researching each opposing team to the last detail.
    Also it would seem the local rag 'The Globe' has confirmed that:emoticon-0102-bigsm PR has persuaded GW to come to PNE & has to arrange compensation.
    As the saying goes 'Time will tell'.
    If he does not come, then Warnock will be an interesting choice...if he will come.
    Do any of you remember a match on Sky when Warnock was manager of Plymouth & Gary Peters was in charge at NE? Plymouth won 2-1. The Sky commentator said that he thought NE played better football & would be a better bet to win promotion. As faar asI can remember neither team were promoted.

7. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Sorry. The Stevenage newspaper is 'The Comet'.

8. themaclad

Friday night game Barnet I think Wilkinson scored for us although I could be wrong.

9. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

It'd be a travesty if Westley left Stevenage at this moment in time. Money talks, as does the size of the club. But he has nothing to lose if he fails to get Stevenage promoted again, and a guarantee of going down in the history books and being employable for life if he pulls it off.

10. themaclad

It'll be a travesty if he came here IMV

11. themaclad

Apparently will join tomorrow Friday 13th unlucky for some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. themaclad

Deal almost done may the Lord ave mercy upon our souls

13. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

Very good appointment for Preston today. Some fans including ours may moan about his style of play at Stevenage. Does not matter if it wins you matches fair play. I would rather see a manager getting results rather than us losing by the same mistakes week in week out. Good luck to him I say.

14. themaclad

10AM Press Conference

15. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

Seems a bit of a drill sergeant. Was he in the Army?

16. themaclad

The players will soon find out

17. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

To do for Preston something on the scale that he's done for Stevenage, he would need to keep them in the Premier League on a salary structure that would be profitable in the Championship.

18. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

By the time he has finished he will have you playing like Stevenage & will kick out the deadwood who is not performing. Expect double training sessions which I believe our manager does which is good for players fitness over 90 minutes. This is what some of the players needed in the first place a kick up the backside. IMO I think he is a terrific manager who should get you promoted. Don't agree with some shrimps fans who pull him apart his record speaks volumes to ours.

19. themaclad

Well within a week he's identified that they are not fit, lacked someone in midfield and brought a left back to the club. Good start.

20. curtismfc

curtismfc Member

Don't you think the rot lies within the Preston squad rather than the managers who have been sacked. I think the only way Westley will get this team back to like it was is bring his own players in & start a fresh. Some of these players have been here for ages under different management & it tells you that the problems still arises when different managers keep coming & going.

I hope North End do well under Westley because you should not be made look like a laughing stock by the lashers.