1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion v Sunderland Saturday 21st January KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 20, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Jan 22, 2017.
  1. Home win

65.2%
  2. Away win

17.4%
  3. Draw

17.4%
  1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Bri quoted one for me earlier where I think Moyes said that he "has to believe that the players he has are good enough to stay up" which you'll notice is significantly different to saying "the players we have are good enough to stay up".

I think that's as positive as it's got in terms of his comments on our future.

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I think you guys have become conditioned to the manager being flipped and the next one coming in for a miracle rescue job.

I don't see it happening this time. That's not to say Moyes can't keep you up though. Injuries and ACON players can help his cause.

3. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Syrian Supporters Branch

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  4. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Coates flattered to deceive. There have been times this season when Papy has looked decent (the first game I noticed was away to Southampton) but he hasn't improved or settled as the season has gone on and at 28 you'd hope he would have. As a CB who has the odd clanger in him I just think he's a below par defender who makes an easy scapegoat rather than your main problem, central midfield has been far from pretty. Catts, Kirschoff injuries and Khazri being almost excommunicated have lead to Rodwell, Gooch, Pienaar, Honeyman, Ndong, McNair and possibly others chucked in there. Moyes has has bad luck in that position but he did opt not to sign M'Villa.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Bloody hell Bod is 28? I thought he was 22 for some reason. Bearing that in mind we should sell him before he's worth nothing and get someone who can hack it in.

6. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

He is absolute garbage, clueless ! We may as well start each game 0-1. Drop him and we will improve...

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

**** me they're like watching Sunday League videos. (No offence to the lads who do play sunday league)

How can you let someone have that much time and space in the box for Fletchers goal.

Second, just look all over the place, Papy and JOS in the left back position holding hands.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

They took them well. But the defending is a shambles.

All over the place

11. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

What is Moyes actually doing with these during the week <doh>

First of all Larsson should have competed properly for the header at the edge of the box. Then they win two more headers in our box, then it is flicked on to Fletcher who is 7 yards out and we have the audacity to stand off him so he can bring the ball down on his chest, then turn around and still get his shot away unchallenged.

Shocking.

12. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

**** knows.

Perhaps teaching them verses for deepest sympathy cards.

Not defending thats for sure.

13. Deleted #

Awful. O'Shea should have quit last year. I really think this is a season to far for him. He's a liability for us now.
    Mannone since coming back into the team has made Bravo look world class. Your keeper should never be a liability, but ours is. If Pickford isn't back next game, we should go with Mika or even Star Trek. Try and get a few million for Mannone, in Italy, where they seemingly still think he's okay.

Quality strike though. Brilliant technique to bury that.

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Some good points.

O'Shea is shot to ****.
    Manone is dodgy.
    Pickford is sorely missed.
    Cracking strike. Type of thing we miss.

Deleted likes this.
  15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

<whistle>

16. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Managers can't stop individual mistakes mate. PVA and O'Shea both should have done better with the two goals. Their fault and nobody elses. PVA should be dropped for that. Impossible because of the state of our squad. That's what happens when there's no competition for places. Complacency. something PVA has had for the last 3 seasons, he just doesn't give a **** defensive and there's nothing DIck, Big Sam or Moyes has been able to do about it without a proper LB for him to compete with. O'Shea looks like his career is fizzling out and so does his interest and effort in the game. Moyes or any other manager for that matter can't do **** under these conditions.

17. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Player Stats:
    Source - Squawka

Stats.GIF

18. Deleted #

Disagree again, fella. If the manager coaches them enough, then they can cut out the individual mistakes. They lack belief and don't fully seem to understand their roles. That's down to the manager.

The first goal was littered with errors. Larsson should have put a proper challenge in to head the corner away, instead the West Brom player won the ball, they then won 2 more free headers in the box before it fell to Fletcher, where PVA ridiculously gave him time to bring the ball down and turn just 7 yards from goal. The second goal just showed O'Shea is finished at this level, but I also think Mannone was very weak and could have done better with the ball that was put across.

19. Deleted #

You think different about our support?

20. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

In our current position, training should be focussed on getting the fundamentals of defending accurate. For a manager who seems naturally defensively-minded and who often sets up not to lose games it seems odd that there are so many mistakes made. Maybe the players don't care enough but surely day-in, day-out defensive drilling would at least eliminate some of those mistakes.

RTB likes this.