1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion v Sunderland Saturday 21st January KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 20, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Jan 22, 2017.
  1. Home win

65.2%
  2. Away win

17.4%
  3. Draw

17.4%
  1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I feel like a knob and a love child for keep going back to it, BUT, the same mistakes were happening last season when Sam came to the club. It took him 2-3 month but he soon sorted the defence out and the individual mistakes dried up.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I was just about to say something along these lines.

With Sam you could see his defensive unit was a work in progress over the months, till it had sunk in and we became difficult to beat.

I know injuries etc haven't helped but I just don't see that progress under Moyes, we just keep making basic errors time after time.

3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Then why have Dick, Big Sam and Moyes all failed to sort PVA's defending out?

Disagree mate. PVA has been taking the piss defensively for far too long as far as I'm concerned and he'll continue to until he gets a real threat to his place.

4. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I do, it amazes me that anyone goes to be honest, and my heart goes out to every one of them.

rooch 3 likes this.
  5. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I can't agree with that mate.

I see our supporters booing and slagging off players from the first minute. I see loads of them starting to leave the stadium after 70mins regardless of the score. I have seen them turn on Watmores Dad and it wasn't nice to see.

My heart doesn't go out to them.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely. But I reckon fletcher will have been digging at him just been a lot more careful about it. He's one of those old pros that are good at that. As I said before, wish we had him

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Think you're right bri but Sam sorted out the defence by providing mvila, Cattermole or Kirchhoff to fill in when pva a buggered off up the field. Moyes hasn't got anyone who can do that job. Think central midfield is our biggest problem. Van Aanholt looked much better with that cover. Think it'd be different if we had everyone fit. But it may improve van Aanholt if he gas competition.

All in all I'm ****ed if I know!! I pay to watch them, they get paid stupid amounts to play!!

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Defo, Midfield is our biggest problem. I don't think PVA improved that much defensively under Big Sam. Goring forward he came on leaps and bounds under him but not much defensively. Big Sam sured up the defence giving them 2 DMs meaning PVA could be covered by a centre back or CM easier giving him a licence to bomb forward. But as you say, we've no good enough DMs available to play 1 in front of the defence let alone 2. Not much Moyes can do with the players available. We'll pick up points once players come back like we were before. I happen to agree with Moyes we can stay up on the players we've got, but it's a risk as we could just as easy go down with this squad.

9. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Players need to be stepping up more than they are imo. It's too easy to blame one person or the manager, but look at Leics, does anybody think Ranieri has drastically changed his coaching methods? I'm not a fan of Moyes one bit, but the players really need to try harder and concentrate more.