1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger says his future was a factor as Arsenal fail to make Champions League

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 22, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Even pro Wenger supporters must agree that this has ridiculously dragged on and harmed the club.

2. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Well, I think the fans share some of the blame as well as public figures such as that piece of human excrement, Piers Morgan.

Wenger has now won 10 major trophies in his 20 years at Arsenal. No other club in England has won more in that period. Over the last 20 years Arsenal are the most successful club in England, in terms of trophies, and in average league position. Just let that sink in.

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Find someone else who agrees with you.

Sir Tennisball likes this.
  4. ToledoTrumpton

We civilized people tend to use numbers, so that we can use quantity to measure success. So it tends to be less of an opinion thing. No other team in the last 20 years has won 10 trophies.

Average league position is a little bit more complicated and used something we call mathematics.

How do you primitive people measure things if you don't use numbers?

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Cambridge didn't let in one of our students with one A* and three A grades but did accept one with two A*s and one A.

Toledo is more civilised and intelligent than those barbarians at Cambridge.

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

In last 20 years:

Arsenal have 3As and 7Bs.

Chelsea have 1A*, 5As, 7Bs and 4Cs. (I think that 1+5+7+4=17 is more than 10...let me know if I'm wrong).

United have 2A*s, 10A, 4B, 4C (again I think this totals 20 but it needs peer review first. If ratified then this is also more than 10 but I'm not 104% sure).

City have 3As and 2Bs

Liverpool have 1A*, 3Bs and 4Cs

Spurs have 2Cs.

Key
    CL = A*
    PL = A
    FA = B
    Europa = B
    CC = C
    Supercup = C

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Sir Tennisball likes this.
  7. ToledoTrumpton

please log in to view this image

And if you honestly think that Arsenal have a better chance of finding (and hiring) a Manager that can win a trophy 3 out of 4 years, then i really think you are brain damaged.

I must apologize though, I did take that quote from an article, and the author rather deceptively jumped back and forth between the last 4 years and the last 20 years.

No one has more trophies over the last 4 years and we have the best league position over the last 20.

And I still maintain we are a success ful club.

8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Keep changing those goalposts each time you're shown to be talking rubbish<laugh>

What happened to the 20 year period? Or is it still sinking in?

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Assuming we do cherry pick the one and only year period that sees arsenal come out in a vaguely good light... Would you still not swap our last four years with any other club?

Chelsea, City and United have won the same number and are in a far better position currently (and indeed two of those three teams have won 'better' trophies than we have).

10. ToledoTrumpton

Well when you consider a Manager's future, why would you not consider his last 4 years, and no wouldn't swap our last 4 years with any other club, because I rather like the fact that we have the FA Cup record wins.

I just don't buy the whole A, B and C nonsense. I think you can make an argument that the FA Cup is more fun to win than the League. It has a final and the Champions are far more lauded than the League winners where it all just fizzles out at the end.

Anyway if I was going to cherry-pick I would have cherry-picked Wenger's first 5 or 6 years.

But having said all that, we are trying to discuss who is the best manager to take Arsenal forward, and while the guy is winning stuff, why would you want to get a loser in to replace him? I still think that the Wenger out brigade are arrogant assholes. They can't stand the fact that they were wrong. They said Arsenal needed to win trophies. They said 4th place didn't count for anything.

The manager and players have delivered, and now they (you) look like complete plonkers. Just say you were wrong or **** off.

11. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

So many pieces of comedy gold here:

- The FA Cup is more fun to win and is more lauded than the PL.<doh>

- Winning an FA Cup makes the arsenal out brigade wrong.<confused>

- Arsenal have delivered this season<laugh>

You don't help yourself

lazarus20000, BobbyD and BrunelGooner like this.
  12. ToledoTrumpton

You are the one people are laughing at. What sort of fan dismisses and makes light of their team's success? You really need psychiatric help.

Seriously Eeyore, get a life.

"Good Trophy, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a real trophy," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
    "Why, what's the matter?"
    "Nothing, Pooh Bear, nothing. We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it."
    "Can't all what?" said Pooh, rubbing his nose.
    "Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush. Arsenal are just losers and that is all there is to it."

13. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Go find anyone on this board or any other that will agree with you that the FA Cup is a more lauded trophy than the Premier league.

Personal insults eh... classy.

Anyway I'll await you finding someone

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think you must be the only person who prefers winning the fa cup over the league. What next the community shield is better than the champions league?

Not even piskie would go as far as that to defend wenger.

Hopefully theres more fans like you out there so wenger can get another 20 years

15. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

He is an utter fool if he thinks this season was a success. Yes the FA Cup was a good win but the league is always a priority. To be knocked out of the CL in Feb and be spanked, followed by falling out of the title race is a failure for Arsenal. The FA cup gave us some saving grace and Wenger some breathing space.

16. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Toledo cant really prefer winning the FA Cup to the League that just crazy talk.

I will say though - I think 9/10 times this team finishes considerably higher than we did last year. I feel like in terms of squad strength we are closer the the top than is being made out.

We haven't gone miles backwards like is being made out by the media. We just had an uncharactersicaly long poor run of form.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017