1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger in or out?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 3, 2016.

?

Wenger in or out?

Poll closed May 10, 2016.
  1. I want him to stay

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. I want him to leave

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

No, see as I made the statement, I get to say what it was about, not you.
    By all means you can say how you interpreted it, but you interpreted it wrong (which may be my fault as I didn't spoon feed you the comprehensive meaning behind the statement)
    And the comment was regarding Arsenal under Wenger.

2. The Magic Man

The Magic Man Well-Known Member

Then maybe you should make that clearer than stating:

"This is why Arsenal have never retained the league title as well."

Meh - I don't really care. We are a bigger and better club and have won far more, than the chelski racist thugs and have a far better chance of a successful future.

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You have droned on about it for a long time for someone who doesn't care.
    Your last statement, again, is irrelevant to the conversation.
    And Arsenal have won 8 more trophies than Chelsea in their history.....

4. The Magic Man

Yep, don't like my team being labelled with incorrect facts.

Depends what trophies I guess, but we have won 8 more league trophies and 5 more fa cups.

Love to be bothered to check the stats pre-Roman and before you bought success. Last league title 1955? ****ing hell sunder land have won the league more than you ****s. (Laughingly not the spuds though)

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well I think its probably more that you do not like a non Arsenal fan telling it how it is, so you jumped on a seemingly innocuous statement, willingly chose to misinterpret it in an effort to derail the thread and try to steer the subject towards Chelsea's lower trophy count to cheer yourself up over the realization that your manager has, somewhat, mismanaged your club over the last decade and prevented you from challenging for footballs major trophies.

That would be my guess <ok>
    But, hey, you don't care, so what does it matter eh? :emoticon-0105-wink:

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Given that we've been to at least one final of the CL, FA Cup (winning it twice), League Cup and finished runners up in the league in that time I'd say we have most definitely been competing for trophies in the last ten years ;)

You should have gone for 9 years to remove the CL final really <whistle>

The Magic Man likes this.
  7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Hey, I will admit, Wenger hasn't done a ****ty job.
    Especially when you had no money, because of the stadium, keeping you in the CL every year was a great feat.
    But in the last 4 years especially, your club has been grossly mismanaged, and I am not even saying its all Wenger's fault, the bullshit definitely stems from board level.
    Pathetic claims of no history etc aside, in the last 10 years, I would take Chelseas results over Arsenals any day of the week.
    But now with FFP, there really is no reason why Arsenal shouldn't be dominating. Wengers excuses regarding 600 employees and there not being the players available should
    a) Not be any of his concern, he is the manager, not the financial director
    and b) They should be looked upon with extreme skepticism, especially the claim that there has been a lack of quality players on the market. Thats just factually incorrect.

8. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

In the last four years ourselves and City are the only teams to have stayed in the CL each season, we've won 2 FA Cups, 2 Community Shields, finished runners up in the league and signed £30M+ players at CB, DM, WF, CAM with stars such as Ozil, Sanchez and Cech joining the club. Whilst I won't pretend there aren't mistakes that have been made and infuriating moments, it's not as bad as it is often made out to be.

I completely agree that with FFP we should be strongly positioned to compete. And I agree the board needs a shake up.

The Magic Man likes this.
  9. The Magic Man

Not at all. Perfectly happy with my club and watching us in the champions league tonight.

I'm sure spud fans, Leicester and city are too.

PINKIE likes this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I take it you are definitely a "Wenger In then"?

11. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You started off by trying to defend Wenger by suggesting he stuck with Arsenal over PSG as he is a man of upstanding quality who tries to win without spending money and therefore buying success.

Then bodanki pointed out that he has spent loads of money at Arsenal.

Then you say it's about time he spent some money.

What point is there to be missed apart from you changing your tune?

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You're going to freely admit that your own point is pointless? Hmm. So which of the nine I put above Wenger would you move below Wenger then? Or you won't answer?

13. The Magic Man

I won't answer as it's pointless arguing with you.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Compare PSG spending to Arsenal. Go and fill your boots, then **** off <ok>

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I won't argue promise. I won't even reply. Just interested to know which of the nine I've put above Wenger you'd put below him. Disregard bias as an Arsenal fan. Treat yourself as a rich guy who just wants the best person for the job managing your club.

16. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I semi-agree with this, but at the same time, it depends on what you define as being 'bad'. I don't think we've done absolutely horrendously, but by equal measure, we've not done as well as we should have done by any means. I firmly believe a lot of it has been down to a lack of planning and foresight from the club and manager in all aspects.

You've put a positive spin on the list of things you mention as well when, if you look at them pragmatically, it isn't amazing. For example, winning back-to-back FA Cups is no mean feat, as not many clubs do it and there's a reason for that - it's bloody hard. But if you look at it in the context of the time since we last won the title, 2 FA Cups in 12 years isn't all that. We've got to a few League Cup finals, but I'd render it futile since we didn't actually win either of them. Since we've started to spend a bit more money, we've not gotten any closer to winning the Champions League or the Premier League, either. We finished second last season, yet we were never in contention for the title in the latter stages and only got the runners-up spot because of a monumental cock-up by Spurs.

I mean, if you're happy to finish in the top 4, albeit miles off the leaders, and win the occasional domestic cup every few years, that's up to you. But I honestly feel this club has so much potential to thrive and be such a competitive force, domestically and in Europe. Judging from your comments on here since the day I joined, I've always felt like you're more willing to let the club off the hook than I am.

afcftw likes this.
  17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Their strongest probably first XI cost them about £266m. They win leagues and get further in the CL than us. Our probably strongest first XI cost us about £215m. We don't win leagues and don't get any further than R16 in the CL.

£266m is buying success but £215m to win very little is honorable in your eyes? You think Wenger turned his nose up at PSG because he thinks spending £266m to build a team is unpleasant, yet £215m is perfectly fine?

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Your figures don't stack up, so neither does your argument.

During the period cited (when PSG were trying to sign Wenger) PSG vastly outspent Arsenal as this table from 2011-2015 shows.

please log in to view this image

Then there is PSG's wages. How much was Ibrahimovich on at PSG ? They have the biggest wage bill of ALL sports teams, not just football, so that tells you how much they are spending on top of their transfer fees.

The only reason they win titles, is because they have completely outspent every other team in their league and totally skewed the french league. They basically have NO opposition.

Comparing their spending to Arsenal's and then trying to use it to slate Wenger is utter bollocks <ok>

19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Where have I slated Wenger?

Do they also get further than us in the CL because they have no opposition in that too?

I'm questioning the contradictory points that you've written. You initially defended Wenger's decision to not move to PSG using the idea that he has integrity and that he doesn't want to buy success. Then when it's pointed out that he's actually spent loads himself at Arsenal (albeit not quite as much as PSG but still a shedload) you then say you're happy that he's spending lots of money. Which sort of disproves the point that he has integrity and doesn't want to buy success.

And moving on... the whole 'buying success' is a tired argument that stems from jealous fans of clubs who have slightly less money than other clubs. If we had a billionaire owner that allowed us to spend PSG levels of cash to the point where we could have a team worthy of winning the league and CL, would you complain that we'd bought success? F*** no. PSG fans don't care. City fans don't care. United fans don't care. Chelsea fans don't care. Try and claim it would bother you and you'd be a liar. We're already a team full of millionaires being paid shed loads a week. The difference is our rich team and manager have no useful targets imposed on them with clearly no sanctions for not reaching them so can achieve (or not achieve) whatever they want and still do the same thing year after year.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I've just shown you where PSG have vastly outspent Arsenal, both in terms of transfers and salaries. You have no argument <ok>