1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Welcome to Sunderland fellas

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Well, they're here. Eventually. Took their time but to have another 2 top class players on our books is fantastic. Don't forget, Inter paid Euro 18m for Muntari only 18 months ago and he went on to do the treble with them last season. Sessegnon was being tracked by Arsenal and Chelsea a year or so ago so hes no mug either.

To be honest, with these two on board, I really can get excited about the next 14 games and although we are short up front (in numbers not Asamoah height Lol), I am confident about our credentials now for a European push. The club have backed Bruce 100% again in the transfer market and have shown they are willing to give him everything he needs to deliver the ultimate goal.

I still think that a forward will be brought into the club and although Fuller isn't my choice, I'm happy to go with SB's decisions if that turns out to be the case. I still live in hope there is another ace up the sleeve though and we have just over 28 hours to find it.

Whatever though, this is just a season that gets better and better every week and for the first time in my life, we were realistically safe at Christmas, sitting in a comfortable 6th at the turn of the year and still hanging onto the shirt tails of the nations elite clubs as we enter February. Spurs and Chelsea and rightly touted as potential winners of the EPL and the country is now Dalgleish crazy and seem to want Liverpool to challenge for top 4 places but no-one is mentioning Sunderland AFC and i think that's just fine.

There is no pressure on 'little old Sunderland' to do anything and I reckon this below the radar status suits the club perfectly. We will just keep doing our stuff each week (starting Tuesday) and with our new signings, keep surprising everyone with our resilience.

I am absolutely bursting for Tuesday night and a chance to do the double over the league champions. How many times have we been able to say that and more over really have the conviction behind it to say it. They are coming back into form and it will be a really hard game but kid yourself not, Ancelotti and the Chelsea team wont be relishing the trip either. We have arrived in this league in 2010/11 with some aplomb

Me, I just add and say, welcome onboard Sulley and Stephane. The magic carpet just got the shake and vac treatment today.

Long may it continue.

FTM

2. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

It certainly feels like we are in for some exciting times in the months ahead, and I must admit to feeling like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment and can't wait for Tuesday...:1980_boogie_down:

3. ScotCat

ScotCat New Member

Wish I could make it down on Tuesday now !!

I'll just have to wait for the spurs game though ... getting excited already.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Member

Bang on Cest. This confirms the intent of the club to stay at the top table of English football. . . penny for the thougts of a certain Mr Bent this evening.

Like you I think he will still bring in a striker but i think it will be as cover for Asamoah not in my opinion to play 2 up front.

I think our squad looks set up now to play off Gyan, This is wonderful stuff.

5. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

5 from me Cest.

For the first time in years I think our club can keep going upwards and all the bullshit about top players not wanting to come to the NE is history. <ok>

6. captainZak1979

captainZak1979 New Member

Cest as you said after (or before can't remember exactly) we needed midfilders of the calss of Arteta, Cahill we have them now(?). We just need a striker and were off.:emoticon-0160-movie

7. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

and 5 from me cest, who would have thought it mate. When Quinn took over and was manager, we all knew he meant what he said but did we really believe he could do it. I know, not done yet but a big step forward today.

8. Pride&Passion

Pride&Passion Member

like many other SAFC fans tonight are pinching themselves...

Is this really the club that was laughed at & ridiculed with a record low top flight points?
    Is this the club who supporters have dared not expect or want any more than mediocrity due to years of disappointment?
    It&#8217;s very difficult we have come so far is the last few years.

9. Apone

Apone Active Member

Great article cest. Great news for the club! Exciting times for SAFC

10. 56Danny

56Danny Member

Cest, I always love your posts. That one encapsulates the mood of the moment spot on.<ok>

I was just thinking that if you had been born 100 years earlier, Field Marshal Horatio Herbert Kitchener would have co-opted you to his war PR department!

Keep them coming, sunshine.

Thanks.

11. mackemsteve

mackemsteve Member

im just gutted i cant make it to the game to hopefully see sessegnon make his debut. shame about muntari not being able to play until next saturday but at least we will have one new player in the squad against chelsea and fingers crossed it will be another good night

12. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words chaps - there's a tear in this cynical old farts eye as I reply:emoticon-0111-blush

I am just a happy camper these days and after many decades of false dawn's and broken dreams, its great to see that our owner, chairman and manager can now match our ambitions as supporters and have put together a team that mirrors this new found optimism.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but even I have allowed myself a moment to reflect on what the next 14 games may bring. If we can can crack the hoodoo of European competition just once, i think its impact will be felt for many decades to come. Unlike many, we do have the capacity to kick on and the fan base to realise an upturn in fortunes. Imagine the swell of support for a Sunderland team in Europe and then think what it would be like if we did a Spurs and sneaked a CL place in a few years?

We can attract 38,000/39,000 average league attendances, after the miserable decades of abject failure we have all endured, so what would a good 5 to 10 years of success bring us if that were to be the case?

Quinny's legacy at this club should be European football and I, like all of us here, would be equally ecstatic for him personally as well as SAFC as our club because he thoroughly deserves all of the credit for making this a possibility so soon after the infamy of the 15 point debacle only 5.5 years ago.

13. houghton_fox

houghton_fox New Member

Agree with all the above. Any quality signings like these two bode well for the future; cannot believe how optimistic I feel after the recent shock departure of "you know who". Still hoping that Brucey has an ace in the hole regarding a striker. we'd be a bit exposed if Gyan gets a knock.

14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yes at the start of the transfer window it generally recognised that our midfield need strengthening, more creativity and goals, so we now have two new players one bought and one on loan that would appear to have the credentials to do that. Well done Sir Naill and SB.

However we all know that Bent leaving has left a hole in the attack, what with Campbell and Welbeck being injured. It almost goes without saying that you usually get better value when buying in the summer rather than now, and there seems to be evidence that we are 'being held to ransom' by some of the 'stop-gap' targets. Personally I would not want to buy anyone who did not fit into the plans for the next 2/3 years. We may not bring anyone in at all and just await Welbeck and Campbell's return

Then there is Europe, if we can get through the next 7 games with a decent haul of points, we play Chealski, Citeh, Spuds, Gooners and Liverpool.....we will be in with a chance. That will mean we need a bigger squad at the start of next season to cope with the extra games, look at the decimation of the squad this season and we have been knocked out of the cups very early.

I guess we will find out if Mr Short is going to bankroll further purchases in due course, but with only 3 points to make 40 for 'safety' and with 14 games in hand even I am starting to feel confident that relegation may not be a problem this year and that a Euro place may be a possibility.

Onwards and Upwards

15. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I read threads like this and still find myself not believing what I'm reading, or more to the point, not believing I agree with what I'm reading.

Its taken most of us some time to rid ourselves of the past, most of us I think still have that, yes but, at the back of our minds.

Cant get this silly grin of my face, bet you have one too.

16. Pookie23-SAFC

Pookie23-SAFC Member

toppa..

Nice to see youve made the transition too cest Not606 wouldnt have been the same without ya

17. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

European spot ? If we beat chelsea on Tuesday we will be 1 point off 4th spot ;)

On a serious note, its great to be in a position where our 6 pointers are against the likes of chelsea and not wolves....

Can someone wake me up at the end of the season?

18. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

yeh dan fantastic good times ahead onward and upword <redwine>