1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wednesday Away

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by GeraScores, May 1, 2017.

1. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the trip to Hillsborough on Sunday (Even if a few people are giving up tickets - £39 per adult!).

Suspect both sides might field weakened teams. However, it should be a party, especially given comparatively no pressure.

Interested to hear people's views on team selection.

fulham traveller likes this.
  2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Firstly, the price is outrageous. Good on the club to offer £5 travel (even if it is a 5.30am start!).

Secondly, I am glad that Leeds got the job done for us at the weekend. Not sure I could take the drama.

Thirdly, I am super excited for this game. I don't get to as many away games as I'd like due to work, but I used to live in Sheffield and had a season ticket at Wednesday for two years whilst in northern exile. Wednesday are a tough team and a big threat in the playoffs.

Lastly, we should only rest our key 'targetable' players: Cairney, Johansen & Aluko (playing Parker, Piazon & Martin). I'd also be inclined to bring in Kebano for Sessegnon - not sure what the Wednesday right back is like. However I would not be surprised if Cairney plays, as he is the captain and won't want to be rested.

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

A case of not wanting the spine of the team getting injured or Red Cards.
    -----------Bettinelli------------
    ---- Odoi Kalas Ream Malone----
    ------------ Madl --------
    -------- Parker---Piazon ----------
    --- Kebano Martin G.Williams---

Subs: Button - Edun - De La Torre - Cyriac - Petsos - R.Sessegnon - Ayite

Would have liked may be Sigurdsson in but think he is still injured, and Adeniran has not shown up in any matches lately (injured ?).
    Not sure if George Williams will play as still not sure why he was brought back suddenly (misdemeanour's ?), has been scoring, but hasn't been on bench.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I'd play a reasonably strong team and here's why:

1. Although the goal difference swing is hugely unlikely, it's not impossible. If we picked a weakened side and let in several first half goals it could panic our side, give heart to Leeds (who would surely hear about it) and then who knows what could happen.
    2. If we want to get promotion, we might have to play Sheffield Wednesday again in the Fresh Bagels - they're certainly the team I'm most concerned about of the other contenders. If one team comes out on top in this final league match, it might make just a smidgeon of difference in terms of morale.
    3. Let's keep the recent momentum going. The best way to do this is consistency of selection.

5. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

I'm with the Captain. Not wishing to hex us or anything but I have a vague memory of Partick Thistle having to score 11 in their last game to avoid relegation. They beat East Fife something like 14-1. As I say, I'm a bit hazy about the exact details - it was a long time ago - and definitely in a different era and place. The point though is about not counting our Fresh Bagels etc. etc and bearing in mind Leeds are playing already relegated Wigan.

Nonetheless, I'd be tempted to 'save' our most potent players, Cairney and Aluko, on Sunday.

6. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

I have to agree the price is outrageous!!!! I would def rest a few key players giving them a rest and taking away a risk of injury. I would play Betts, Odoi, Madl, Ream, Sess, Parker, Pestos, Piazon, Cyriac, Kebano, Martin

7. Cottager58

And of course if we beat them on Sunday we're most likely to miss Wednesday in the Fresh Bagels since Huddersfield or Reading would be expected to go into 3rd spot. I'd take us to beat either of them over two legs. Whereas with Wednesday, I'd be more comfortable in a winner takes all Ultimate Bagel.

GeraScores and Cravingawin like this.
  8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I'd bring in Cyriac, Martin, Odoi and Madl as starters for this one. I can't remember what the situations is on Martin for the bagel rounds. I've a feeling we said he would not be around for it. He's a backup option if we needed him and he is eligible.

I'm not to fussed on who we play next week but if I had to choose it would not be Sheffield Wednesday. I'm a bit wary of playing a team three times on the bounce, familiarity and all that, but as I say not too fussed. Joka knows what he is doing and I'm behind him whatever is the plan.

I like how some of you are still worried about goal difference. That's a long time Fulham fan for you !

9. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

Rest t.c and s.j play our workman like players, give them something to think about hope draw and get reading or Huddersfield

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Cottager58

The Gaffer has gone for his press conference a day early. Apart from the expected "remain focused" messages he's not taking anything for granted saying, "We must be ready for everything. We're going there to win the game - not for a vacation." No team news whatsoever but obviously Chris Martin is again available

However, after the Brentford game Jokanovic said,

Some players have played many minutes so we need to try and find the best solution for how are going to play against Sheffield.

“I don’t coach only 11 players. The whole squad now is thinking and working in the same direction and we move on to Sheffield Wednesday with confidence
    ."

So, as some have suggested above, there may be a bit of shufling and trying to second best the Gaffer's plans I'm going for:

..................Bettinelli................
    ..Odoi....Kalas...Ream...Malone...
    ...........Parker...Johansen..
    .....Kebano....Ayite...Piazon..
    ..................Martin...

11. Cottager58

The man we've got tomorrow is Graham Scott.

please log in to view this image

A bit of an unknown is Graham; we haven't seen him at all this season before now. The last time we had a peak of him was way back in December 2014 in a 2-0 defeat at the Cottage to Brighton.

His outings in fact are quite modest overall - he only covered 20 matches last season and so far 27 this. Suspect he's a 'fringe chap' being groomed for higher things since a fair smattering of this year's games have been with Premiership clubs. He can be a tad techy though as evidenced when he ref'd the Sheffield Wednesday v Huddersfield match in January, booking 2 from each side and sending off Jack Payne of Huddersfield.

Overall in those 27 games this season he's dished out 92 yellows and 4 reds.

12. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that if we do play a strong side tomorrow that the Ref is a tough one, and that if Wednesday try to injure our players that he gets out the red card. On the same issue some our players have got to watch their tempers, such as Fredericks in retaliating.

I've always liked some of the Wednesday players, for me Bannan is a good midfielder and on his day can be dangerous. Fletcher, Rhodes and Hooper are potent strikers who again on their day can be lethal. Their defence is tough to break down, so all round it will be a hard game to win.

13. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

With it being likely that we will make at least a few changes I really hope Parker gets a game. Would be good to get to say a proper thank you to him, a proper professional who stuck with us and if reports were to be believed was a rock in the dressing room during the mad Felix days!!

14. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Johansen & Fredericks rested to protect them from themselves.

No Parker is a surprise, Kebano for Ayite makes sense.

COYW!

15. Cottager58

"No vacatons" then. The gaffer is obviously going for momentum.

16. Cottager58

Ooops .. early lead for Wednesday. But not to worry ... Ryan Tunnicliffe has just put Wigan 1-0 up.

17. Cottager58

And back in Sheffield ... Copa Kebano

18. Cottager58

Captain Passion comes on and 12 seconds later ... Copa Kebano gets his second.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  19. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

Bring on Reading COYW

20. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Good to end the regular season on a high and should give us confidence going into the play offs.

We now have winning aggregate scores against all 3 play off opposition. Got to give us the belief we can beat any of them.

COME ON BOYS!!