1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We won't challenge for top four or the league until....

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Me too. But I do worry that our transfer targets massively hinge on qualifying for CL.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's a big worry so hopefully we'll be in it.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Going back to the OP - it's simple. We need a proper defence.

Under the 4231, I think we started to become better defensively as a team and it helped mask our deficiencies.

We are conceding around 50 goals a season over the past 4-5 years which is unacceptable. Going into this season with Lovren as a starting CB, Milner becoming a starting CB, and Lucas playing any games in a red shirt is on Klopp.

I think January windows are not really gernan thing and only use it in exceptional circumstances. Klopp needs to adapt and make use of every window because as we've seen, it can be costly. We could have secured players when we were 2nd coming into start of the year.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  4. LuisDiazgamechanger

We need defenders like Hypia and Carragher or better, though we were unable to win the league when they were there.

5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They wouldn't fit the recruitment criteria... #tooold

6. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Jupiter aligns with Mars, Alsan returns to Narnia and Paul McCartney writes another decent song.

And BBC Salford is torched to the ground, with all the FA in it.

7. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

We certainly won't when we play 4-3-3 with a midfield of Can, Windy and Lala. FFS.... <doh>

8. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Well we won't be, so I hope we manage

9. FedLadSonOfAnfield

until ... the club's official seer is provided with an acceptable blood sacrifice for Odin

10. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

i think the most important word in King Kennys OP was naivety & it applies to JK as much as the team. With the back 4 we have there has to be more protection than at present . There also has to be a plan B instead of opting for a frenzied version of plan A

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Until rhc can walk unaided... strap yourselves in for the long haul

Zanjinho and FedLadSonOfAnfield like this.
  12. FedLadSonOfAnfield

it's ok he can be the blood sacrifice, although maybe Odin would be displeased

13. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

Yeah but the other teams also had much better defenders too:

The likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry and King were around as well as old stagers like Keown, Campbell and Gallas. The big lad at Villa was quality too, Larrson??

Sami and Carra would walk into the present team.

The Premier league has been ****e defensively for a few years now. Vertonghan is okay and Kompany was class before injuries ****ed him but not much else anywhere near the quality of the big European teams. Last few years of CL confirm that.

Conte worked it out and hasn;t looked back since he went to a back 3(5)

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

hyppia was 25 when he arrived and turned 26 in his first 3 months... same as as van dijk is right now.

Carrgaher was with respect a youth so how he fails to meet the criteria is beyond me.

You are right that in the mid 00s there probably was a better defensive set up or at least an ability to kill off all comers in europe.

Hyppia at 26 would absolutely walk into our side today... no question.

he'd just bash into vardy all night cos its be an aerial battle... lucas could not outjump the twat so he stepped off him and he was then toast to any and all long balls.

15. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

I would like to see Klopp make it up with Sakho. I think Sakho and Matip as CB's would be a vast improvement. We would then have Gomez for the future and Lovren to cover injuries.

We can then spend our money on a decent defensive midfielder, left back ( which would release Milner back for midfield duty), and centre forward.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  16. FedLadSonOfAnfield

I used to be a fan ...

Now I'm an air conditioner

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

1488396395358.jpg

The comment I quoted talking about signing defenders now, players like Hyypia (now 43) and Carragher (39). Aka...too old now

18. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I'm not sure, Hyypia at 43 could probably still do a better job than some of our defenders of recent years.

19. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

If
    That's now the key question....is he making do because of budget or because he think he can make current players better? If the latter, he's proper fooked up!

20. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I want to know why everyone and his dog wants to sign for Chelsea. Answer: money/top 4 =CL/location - location means London. Fair enough.

I also want to know why other everyones and their dogs want to sign for Manchester City, Answer: top 4 = CL/money. That said, it won't necessarily follow that playing for City means success.

I want to also know why other everyones and their pups wish to sign for united. Answer: top 4 = CL (sometimes)/money and right now a manager who gets his way by throwing his dolls out of his pram.

Arsenal consistently get into the top 4 and can't be arsed putting their hands in their pockets, but they still got Sanchez.

Now:

when we had Suarez a few seasons back we came 2nd, hence the following season we got CL. Did we get the players in the summer to help us progress? No.

Why? Why didn't they want to come? We got into the CL then. Was it: location, money, the manager, the scouts?

Location: we're not in London. Geographically, there's sod all we can do about that.

Money: we've been given it, but we consistently spend it on lemons; and let's face it millions don't make class. Look at Pogba.

The manager: Rodgers was inept and now in charge of Celtic. Somehow he slept with someone and managed to wangle the Celtic job, but he'd deluded if he thinks it's down to him, Celtic would win trophies even if an orangutan was in charge. Now we have Klopp, who is managing what is still effectively Rodgers' side, trying to turn sow's ears into silk purses. If he doesn't realise it isn't working then he isn't the great manager we took him to be, BUT he is still a big cheese in football around Europe, so will the players come?

The owners: well, they bailed us out and we will be forever grateful. For how long?

The scouts: Ian Ayre has ****ed off thank God, but what about the rest of HR?

We won't challenge for top four or the league until....

IMO they sort out the bloody recruitment and get the right soddin' players who know how to play football and don't have soddin' egos!