1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We need to sign a proper captain at the back.

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I personally don't think Lascelles is good enough. He has potential, but going into the premier league, I'd be a bit worried if I still saw him as our first choice CB and the captain figure in the team.

He is a bit suspect on the ball, and is a bit error prone.

I think it was a bit ridiculous to rely on a 22 year old who hasn't even played a full season of football yet to be a leader.

The lad has the heart but no experience, and it shows. He may be respected by the lads, but if there's anywhere we look weak it's at the back. He doesn't seem to make us look more solid at the back when he plays and doesn't have the tactical awareness yet.

Our defence, as it stands, would get slaughtered in the premier league. We've made too many mistakes and often just failed to close players down, and we still look weak as piss from set pieces. We've also gotten away with quite a few mistakes that we'll get punished for in the premier league.

The reason? A lack of experience and maturity in the center.

We need a captain figure at the back. We have no marshal.

WE DON'T HAVE A PROPER CAPTAIN!!! We haven't captain figures in the team since Nolan and Barton, and it all stems back to Mike Ashley and Co not wanting anyone to have significant influence in the dressing room.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I've said it this for quite some time. Not sure who would be the answer though. They are very difficult to grab. Its not just going signing a centre back thinking "yep job done". Plenty of good centre backs, very few top leaders. I'm a massive fan of your centre back being your captain. I don't think Lascelles is the answer but then he is still young in centre back terms so will only get better, like Mbemba. At 22 and 23 they are no age for a centre back. The likes of Adams/Campbell/Ferdinand didn't iron out their games until their mid 20's. The problem is where is the old head to teach them.

I wish we hadn't dropped out the PL. West Ham have just nabbed Jose Fonte for 8m. A true leader and one of the best centre backs in the PL. 33 yrs old but fit as a fiddle and good for another 3 years if you have pace alongside. Could have taught all of our young centre backs everything they need to know. I can't believe that Liverpool haven't just gone for him and Pickford to sort themselves out. Van Dijk, Lovren were both raved about but Fonte was the main reason they looked so good and learnt what they did. Then you look at Portugal last summer. As soon as he came in they looked rock solid and he was the main reason they won the thing. Massively underrated player.

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Shelvey is the centrepiece of our team and seems like a leader. Significant Prem experience as well, so surely he should be captain?

4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Lacselles has the potential to grow into the captaincy but maybe next season we will see a change of captain.

Shelvey is the obvious choice but Ritchie, when he's on form, drags the performance levels up of those around him. Clarke having captain Villa at EPL level could do a job too although I still have my reservations about him long term going forwards.

Not sure we need to sign a captain but agree Lacselles could do with out the added pressure it brings and some of the above have the experience to deal with it.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

No way for me. I think he is a decent player (no more). I think he is one of the ones who have the ability to be part of a PL squad. lets be honest though, he has struggled at PL level generally and been found out somewhat. He is very petulant, lacks discipline and is not a fighter. He does not lead by example and is not an organiser. I just can't see what value you'd get by making him captain.

Flash likes this.
  6. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Mbemba is head and shoulders above Lascelles in terms of ability and potential. Lascelles was shocking at Notts Forest and a few decent games don't change the fact that he is limited.

7. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

We don't have any players at the club who I would class as captain material for the premiership. Leading by example and influencing players is something maybe Lascelles does in terms of communication but at the expense of concentration sometimes IMO.

He does not read the game all that well and he does not seem to organise the defense in important set pieces.

OI am like many a big fan of a Defender being the captain as they get to see everything that goes on in front of them. I even like the idea of a keeper being captain but maybe he is to far away from the action sometimes.

Watching a lot of the premier league over recent weeks and I do agree that in terms of squad depth and a captain we are lacking which is understandable given the fact that we where so poor last season etc.

My other main concern is the lack of players coming through the academy over the last couple of years that have not made the first team on a regular basis.

8. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

I'm prepared to be patient with JL as Captain.

He will mature into a seasoned international.

You heard it here first and don't bother disagreeing, as you'll clearly be completely wrong! :emoticon-0181-fubar

Flash likes this.
  9. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

He gets caught out defensively a bit sometimes but I don't think that is a reflection on his captaincy at all. He's just still developing as a defender. I would add a seasoned first choice pro CB to the squad next season and let JL and the others fight it out for the other spot. That may not be ideal if he's not starting every match and Rafa will need to make a decision on whether he retains the captaincy or it goes to a regular starter. If he thinks he'll keep improving as CB then I suspect Rafa will stick with JL as captain even if he is in and out of the side in the shorter term.

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

If he doesn't get an offer at a Premiership club I think Jagielka would be awesome for 18-30 months.

Seabass and Flash like this.

11. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

None of them will ever be good enough

12. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Is Moncur still at the club?
    He was a great Captain.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  13. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Nope. He's still too much of a stroppy **** to be captain.

Seabass, Warmir Pouchov and Flash like this.
  14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

It’s quite refreshing what Rafa has done with the defence.