1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We Have Not Finished YET.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 20, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City have made four signings but they have not finished their transfer window business yet
    By a_stockhausen | Posted: January 20, 2017

please log in to view this image

Lee Johnson, Mark Ashton and Steve Lansdown

Bristol City may have landed four new signings already in January, but their business is not finished yet.

Head coach Lee Johnson and chief operating officer Mark Ashton have successfully negotiated deals to recruit Jens Hegeler, Milan Djuric, Bailey Wright and Fabian Giefer and more new arrivals are in the pipeline.

Johnson confirmed he is looking to further strengthen his squad when speaking to the media at City's weekly press conference yesterday.

And the Post understands a new full-back features prominently on the head coach's wish list.

City already have Adam Matthews and Mark Little vying for the right-back spot, but both could be gone at the end of the season and there is a need to recruit for the long-term future.

Little is out of contract in the summer, while Matthews is set to return to Premier League Sunderland at the end of his season-long loan spell.

City began the campaign with three experienced Championship right-backs. But Luke Ayling was sold to Leeds following the arrival of Matthews, who has been dogged by hamstring injuries throughout his second spell with the club.

Having bolstered the spine of his team, Johnson is now seeking to increase his options in other positions, with majority shareholder Steve Lansdown making funds available for further in-comings.

Meanwhile, Luke Freeman's situation remains unchanged. The subject of at least one bid from Queens Park Rangers, the 24-year-old winger has yet to sign the new contract offered by City.

Johnson will not allow that situation to continue indefinitely and, if Freeman continues to stall, he could be sold before the January 31 transfer deadline.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...business-yet/story-30073864-detail/story.html

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

More fuel to piss off redprintt then!!

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

A right back and Freeman replacement (If he goes) seems to be the next targets, Lansdown is definitely backing LJ, big time..

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

SL has got himself into a position where he has to 'back' or 'sack' especially given the recent and questionable contract extension for LJ.

He's chosen to back him for now. If it still doesn't pay off and we continue losing, then he'll be poorer (not that he'll notice) and will have to sack anyway.

5. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy for SL to continue to back him. Despite not getting the results, I'm more than happy with LJ's recruitment, and even if he is sacked, I'd trust another manager to get a lot out of these players.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the transfer dealings over the past two windows have been largely excellent, which in a way only makes the on-field antics more frustrating. We may have had our pants pulled down to an extent my Kodjia leaving too late to sign a replacement, though Abraham has been mostly excellent, and Matthew's troubles with injuries has been a blow, when his impressive form last season would have made you comfortable the right-back position was covered.

I'm intrigued by how LJ will use Hegeler between now and the end of the season (if he lasts that long). I think he looks fairly classy, but also quite strong, so a defensive-midfield role to help shield what should be a decent centre-back pairing (take your pick between Fling, Wright & Magnusson), but also link the play with the forwards could be ideal.

7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'More fuel to piss off redprintt then!!'

Not at all, it screws your ridiculous assertion that SC and Junior have/had the same budget.

8. oneforthebristolcity

Do you really agree that SC should have spent in excess of 9 mil for one player?? the offer was on the table, but the player/s didn't want to come....Was it to do with Bristol City or Cotts?? We will never know!!
    SL obviously trusts LJ with the money more than he did SC

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'the transfer dealings over the past two windows have been largely excellent'

Particularly Engvall, Ekstrand, Matthews, Lucic and Lee Tomlin - our alleged highest earner who can't get a game.
    Let's not forget O'Dowda and Paterson who haven't been able to get past first choice Freeman.
    Goldbourne isn't first choice either.

That's EIGHT ! - Who are largely excellent ?
    According to our points tally they are either poor signings or Junior can't manage.
    Can't be both.

But hey, keep spending Steve, we love it - we've never been so lucky.

10. oneforthebristolcity

Always difficult getting the right combinations with players injury free inform etc. Also takes time to gel especially with foreign influence..
    But be assured Mr redprintt, if things don't improve over the next 2/3/4 games my LJ hat will be disposed of responsibly!!

Redprintt likes this.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of this before tomorrows game......!!

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:

"We want to get a win. We definitely don't want to lose it. We can go there in full belief that we can get a win.

"We failed miserably in the last 15 minutes against Cardiff but, apart from that, we've had three very assured performances".

So he wants to win but doesn't want to lose. Does this mean he's playing for a draw ?
    And 3 very assured performances that yielded exactly zero points.

You're talking nonsense boy !!

Red Robin likes this.
  12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Personally think the current signings look much better than the previous bunch.

what i did pick up on LJ yesterday was the goalkeeper he quoted "he is supposed to be a good keeper" My first reaction was does he not see or have a input into who comes in.

Perhaps he is told who is coming and to integrate them into the side.

One thing for sure SL is backing him big time,there is no excuses from LJ that is some squad he has there.

Time to show his metal and get us up the table,No way should we be where we are with the quality he has at his disposal.

Redprintt likes this.
  13. oneforthebristolcity

Where does he say that? I've not seen it!!

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting that LJ isn't making the most of what should be a decent squad, capable of mid-table. That fair enough?

If you think the last two windows have been s***e, that's your opinion - I'd just ask you, which signings would you had rather not come in and challenge you to name realistic alternatives who should have come in instead. What's your opinion of Abraham, Magnusson, O' Neil, Hegeler, Wright...?

15. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

On TV last night on the news

16. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I think on the news last night he was a bit blasé .. RR could be right he was trying to be "off handed" and the comment would fit ....