1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We are allmost safe

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by valjing, Apr 28, 2011.

1. valjing

valjing Member

The close season will soon be upon us,and their will surely be,
    comings and goings.
    To all you fans who would you like in and out.
    For me AJ take the reported 3mil that RH is reported to be offering and possibly
    another couple on several others.
    splash the cash, a CF and an attacking midfielder.

Tried signing in as rfsteele my original ~ kept getting knocked back hence the
    new nom de plume.

2. rocky57

rocky57 Member

It'd be a peculiar set of circumstances were we to go down now! However I believe it's important we keep up our run of form to the end of the season, it'll give us confidence for the next campaign. If we qualify for Europa this will surely affect MH's thinking on the squad needed as I'm sure, like Roy, he will want to give it a go. Plus, our season will start in July again.

I'm always impressed by the extensive knowledge many of you have of potential players and feel a bit ignorant in this respect. I do think we need to acknowledge that we need to reduce the average age, and I'm not sure if Murphy will manage a whole season of starts again. I am seriously worried that offers will come in for Dempsey and Hangeland, never mind players coming in. I can't see JP or Gera staying, more's the pity.

3. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

We're safe enough to be looking up the table with ambition, not down the table with concern. The higher we finish, the more money the club gets at the end of the season. Plus, another year in the top half cements our reputation as one of the Prem's stronger teams (like Everton, Villa, Bolton) rather than amongst the usual strugglers. And that helps us in recruiting and keeping the best players.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Morning, Rocky. I know what you mean - whenever I see us linked to a player in the press, it's almost always someone I've never heard of. There's only so much you can glean from the internet, though at least that's more than it was a few years ago (I'm sounding my age again).

I think we're all clear on what we need, which positions need strengthening, etc; we just don't know which faces are going to fill those slots. Let's hope that Hughes ticks all the boxes we're after this summer and then we can all enjoy debating the merits of the new boys next season.

5. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I must admit to being a bit less than up to speed with some of the lower league players or players from some of the smaller foreign leagues. That's why I like it when David Pleat is on 5 Live, he seems to know every player from every club down to the under 12 level. Whenever a player is mentioned he always seems able to give a potted history of them, their club and the even the bloody ground. Amazing knowledge.

6. Captain Morgan

If you're talking about Pleat when co-commentating, it's probably specific research for that match rather than an exhaustive knowledge. Even if it's the latter, I'm not sure it compensates for having to listen to his irritating blather. I'm not a fan.

7. rocky57

rocky57 Member

You don't like his Dixon of Dock Green intro "evening all" then? I suppose you never know where he's been!

8. murray out

murray out Well-Known Member

good evening fulham, i was just wanting to know how many fans you's are bringing up on saturday. will it be the usual taxi full or now you's are safe, will you's be celebrating by fetching a minibus full? <laugh><laugh><laugh>

9. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Evening Valjing ( aka steele ), good to see you here. Brilliant result last night, hopefully we can silence the black cats this weekend with 3 points. Nice to see you are still heading the AJ out campaign. lol

10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be irratated by David Pleat's commentary. You can count a dozen times, and I'm not exaggerating, the amount of times he says "there is no doubt in my mind ....." or there's no doubt about it ... Now I've pointed it out to you it's goig to annoy you !! It drives me mad.

As for fans on Saturday - I'm not going so there's a place spare on the bus.

11. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about his co-commentary to be honest. I was talking about his appearances on the Monday Night Club or the Friday equivalent on 5 Live when they are talking football in general. I like Graham Taylor as well on that - and Motty, who seems to be able to remember the name of every score (and every scorer) in world football since about 1966. His challenge Motty questions are normally great - never get them, but enjoy trying.

12. Captain Morgan

Fair enough then, Fulhaman, Pleat's breadth of knowlege can't be down to specific research for a particular match in that context. He still irritates me though. Bizarrely, Graham Taylor irritates me less now then he used to. Possibly because he is no longer managing my national side.

Graham Taylor's greatest achievement in management: was it taking a fourth division side (Watford) to the old first division and an FA Cup final, or was it taking a fourth division side (England) to the 92 European Championships?

13. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Nicely put Commodore. Maybe the difference between Taylor & Pleat is that the former seems to have become wiser after his experiences, whereas it's the same old Pleat.

14. WhatDoesWoyWant?

On the cob???

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image