1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WBA v Arsenal Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Mar 16, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I'm speaking about the majority. Yes there are quite a few that are peeved off but this has come too late in the day. You need a significant number that are willing to stop their revenue stream and start targeting the management. I don't know whether it's intentional, but it is a cunning ploy for Wenger to take all the criticism. It is the higher ups that are at fault here and until they are majorly targeted, they will get away with it.

The biggest challenge here is separating Wenger the icon of Arsenal and Wenger the current day manager and it's owners.

winifred122 and TheBear like this.
  2. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

winifred122 likes this.
  3. lazarus20000

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Too late for that. Once Kroenke has the summer ST money, he is done.
    Protests could result in only 10 supporters being seated in the Library, and
    your lot will still quote an "attendance" of 60,000 as normal.

5. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

It could be 7th if Everton get it together.
    West Brom are just a bit too far behind to catch us (I think)

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I will chime in and say people should be careful about writing us off for 4th. We've been in similar situations countless times in the past and still managed to pull it off.

Though I do think the negativity surrounding the club coukd make this one a step too far. But I will still give it another month.

winifred122 likes this.
  7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I think it is bizarre to be
    A) wishing to finish outside top 4
    B) saying it's not possible to come 4th

We are 9 points ahead, City are 7 points ahead and Liverpool are 6 points ahead.

You have a game in hand over city and spurs and 2 in hand over Liverpool.
    Win those and you are equal with Liverpool 6 points behind us and 4 behind city.
    You have to play spurs and city ... win those and you will be 1 behind city and 3 behind us.
    There is some serious over reaction on here imo.

winifred122 and TheBear like this.
  8. lazarus20000

It is gettable but we don't seem to have any momentum. Also this has to be the most competitive top 6 teams in PL to date. Yes points can be dropped by everyone else, but we are also dropping points too. Factor in Manure having a very good run of results, Spurs being solid, City and Liverpool playing some good attacking football, it will make it hard.

The big question is do our players have the stomach to fight for top 4? Is Sanchez out for the rest of the season? Is Ozil going to come back and if he does, will he be motivated? Heck, will the rest of the team be motivated?

This will be the hardest top 4 we've had to go through, as the rest around us have quality teams with plenty of hunger and desire to achieve CL qualification.

9. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

All well and good throwing potential point stats out there, but the reality is OUR team has been fudging through into the top 4 for countless seasons by default and this year we are being found out badly. Win this game, win that game and you'll be............... have you actually watched all our games this past 6 weeks? We have been mid table fodder at best!

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  10. lazarus20000

People need to stop thinking about our past and look at what is happening NOW. The PL landscape has changed since Maureen, Pep and Conte have come in. Throw in Pochetino and Klopp and none of those managers are bottlers. Give them a chance and they will take CL qualification. We've been poor and deserve where we are. To get top 4 we need to play a great deal better.

This isn't yesteryear where we got top 4's due to poor opposition, even Spurs's annual meltdowns aren't looking likely. The PL has got a whole lot better, unfortunately we haven't and now we're being exposed for being stagnant for too long. I also believe that the pressure is getting to the players, as they are faced with a huge task, against tough opposition.

Things don't last forever.

11. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

The strange thing is that after 28 games last season, you only had 51 points. It's a tall order but, beat City in your next game and you will be on 53.

What has changed is that the other big clubs are all significantly better off now than this time last year...
    Chelsea + 30
    Spurs +5
    City +10
    Liverpool +15
    United +5

City need just 10 pts from a possible 30 to beat their tally from last season. United need 15 from 33. Liverpool need a mere 5 from 27.

My greatest fear at the end of last season was the resurgence of numerous clubs who we can't compete with financially. And if I'm honest, most Spurs fans I know are still extremely nervous about a top 4 finish.

Looking at your stats, what stands out is you GC column. 34 goals already means you'll absolutely smash your total tally last year of 36. And this after spending a fortune on a CB and DM.