1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watmore

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sunderland: Duncan Watmore on track to give Simon Grayson a September boost

please log in to view this image

COMEBACK: Duncan Watmore (left) celebrates scoring for England Under-21s and he could soon be doing the same for Sunderland
    0 comments
    Get the latest local news straight to your inbox every day

DUNCAN WATMORE is on the track to give Sunderland’s early season form a timely boost after the first international break next month, manager Simon Grayson has revealed.
    Watmore has not played since rupturing his cruciate knee ligament in early December and he had to undergo a second operation in April.
    Progress since then has gone smoothly but it has taken time and he was unable to train with the first team during pre-season.

While Grayson’s men were being put through their paces, Watmore was often seen working on his own with a fitness coach in a bid to strengthen his knee.
    Now the Sunderland boss hopes the former England Under-21 international can continue his recovery and step things up in time to return to the fold in mid-September.
    Grayson said: “It will be the international break when he comes back but he is making good progress. He can’t wait to wear the red and white shirt again. Hopefully he could be back for one of the first two games after the break.”
    Sunderland face Barnsley on August 26 and then don’t play again until back-to-back home dates with Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest on September 9 and 12. Those are followed by a trip to Hull and Watmore is on the cards to figure in one of those.
    During Grayson’s time at Preston he explored the possibility of signing Watmore on loan and he is now looking forward to working with him at the Stadium of Light.

Grayson said: “In terms of his calibre of player I think he is one of the most talented here at the club. He has that energy, that pace, he has the work-rate the supporters love.
    “Even when I was at Preston we looked at getting him on loan but it wasn’t an option for us. He will be like a new signing for us.
    “To lose him last year was a major blow for the club, Paddy McNair at the same time, those two lads were the same. They give you that energy you need around the pitch.”
    Watmore is versatile and willing to learn every day so he is more than capable of playing up front if that is where Grayson sees a future for him.
    There are also, though, ongoing attempts to bring in a right-sided midfielder/winger and the 23-year-old is more than capable of playing there too, which will help the manager as he looks to make his team one to be reckoned with in the Championship.
    Grayson, whose side travel to Bury in the Carabao Cup tomorrow, said: “He can play both sides, is very flexible. I don’t know where he wants to play and his best position because I have not really seen much of him in the last year.
    “He will be a very welcome addition because he his everything we are looking for, a player willing to run and get fans on their edge of their seats again.”
    While there is no chance of Watmore figuring at Gigg Lane tomorrow, Grayson is weighing up whether to hand goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter his competitive debut.
    Jason Steele performed well against Derby on Friday night to justify his inclusion ahead of the more experienced Dutchman, although Ruiter could find himself give a start in the cup.
    Grayson added: “I know if I put Robbin in on Thursday he won’t let us down, but I could keep Jason (Steele) in to help the consistency of team selection and developing understandings with people.”

<party>

Bexinio, Teessidemackem and Nacho like this.
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it he's a very valuable player to us. If I was religious I'd say a prayer that his injury doesn't recur and he can crack on.

3. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

He'll be excellent in this league. Cant wait to see him and McNair back who will also be excellent in this league aswell.
    Both players can fill a few different positions aswell.

4. Brian Storm

From what I saw of Derby he would of torn them to shreds. I reckon by the start of November he'll firing on full cylinders and torturing this league.

Teessidemackem likes this.
  5. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Be like a new signing for Grayson. Watmore and Mcgeady switching wings could give championship defences a head ache.

Hoping he ditches the fake 4-4-2 with Grabban wasted out wide

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. Brian Storm

Without the balance of both playing teams would put two players on one of them, but the balance with both of them on the pitch will make life pretty much impossible for defences imo.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely - hoping that modern medicine negates my niggling worry that he doesn;t come back the same player that picked up the injury!

Optimistic about everything except these! His injury used to end careers less than 30 years ago!

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

I remember Watmore coming on in 2nd half at home to Norwich. They had just come up from championship were winning 3-0 at half but when Watmore came on they could'nt cope with his pace and trickery. He went on to score and even though we lost this shows how his presence will be immense in the championship.