1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford Warriors vs Mourinho United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's not telling at all, it's one sentence in isolation of the big picture.

What the sentence does not tell is that he was playing off the right in those games, not at 10, which is where Rooney was playing in those games. So, is it telling that we won with Rooney at ten or with Mata on the right? No, probably not eh, because Rooney should be dropped at all costs?

The article goes on to suggest width and wingers, which I absolutely 100% agree with us having, but Mata isn't one of those so, again, not telling.

If Mata goes at 10 for instance, I would be all for that, then it means we're sticking with 2 4 3 1 I guess? Fine, I don't think it's our best formation but lets go with that.

This means Fellaini can not play alongside Pogba (because he's ****e as much as anything else), as the article also correctly points out. So we need a Schneiderlin, Carrick or Blind alongside him.

Which means, as I have always said, that Rooney is not the only problem. And that merely dropping Rooney, as you've all called long and hard for, will not solve all our issues.

We need a cultured holding midfielder in the team, we need to change the 10 (or not have one and have a midfield three/five instead) and we need to add width. Do all of those things and we should be in business.

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Most of the issues tend to get resolved as soon as we score goals <whistle> I think Ferguson recognised that ages ago.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Leicester are starting to look good again, going at them may well leave holes they can exploit. It's certainly going to be an interesting game with you lot under pressure to win.

4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Jose will drop Rooney for the paint drying trophy match which we will take to a replay after the dullest game in history. Due to that phenomenal success JM will keep Rooney on the bench for the Leicestershire game and we will get thumped. We all go mental, Chief has a party and we scrape through in mid-table for the rest of the season 'cos Rooney plays.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

But Chief, I don't think anyone is suggesting that dropping Rooney would resolve our issues. We may even lose the next game as Fodder just mentioned if Rooney is dropped. However, it would be a great start for us to start settling a team for the future rather than playing a team that continues to accommodate Rooney's career.

What we need to do is pick players on value that they bring to the team. It's funny that you're very quick to point out that Fellaini is **** but you somewhat struggle to admit that Rooney is by all metrics worse than Fellaini and has been for a long time in terms of impact he has as a No. 10.

As for Pogba, I think he needs to be set free and advance ahead. Pegging him to a position, especially defensive is the worst thing for him and consequently for the team.

Let's bring Mourinho here to the forum and get his thoughts. :D

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The point I'm making on Fellaini is he is and always has been ****, he really should never have been signed and never get a game. Rooney is in terminal decline, bit of a difference, and Mourinho is in the process of finding that out for himself.
    A lot of people hate Rooney because he's a scouser who fell out with Ferguson and allegedly asked for a transfer, fair enough but that doesn't mean he was always ****, conveniently erasing all previous evidence. This turning on a player who has lost form is what bugs me. Fellaini has never had form, but then again nor do I dislike the bloke as Rooney clearly now is, I just wish he wasn't picked.

And, can I just point out, plenty have said that dropping Rooney is the solution. Yourself included, as if this magic wand will erase all our ills. Maybe it will but as has already been noted we were equally as bad against Feyenoord without him in the side and regardless of what fodder thinks we were no better last season when he didn't play either.

Dear old fodder even now wonders if Rooney was in fact to blame for how crap we were under van Gaal, and not the manager himself. (It was the manager)
    So Rooney has been pin pointed as the cause of all our ills by plenty.

Regarding this comment; As for Pogba, I think he needs to be set free and advance ahead. Pegging him to a position, especially defensive is the worst thing for him and consequently for the team.

I absolutely agree.

Do you believe that Rooney's mere presence in the team is what is pegging him back? Admittedly, against Watford Rooney was played (by Mourinho) in midfield so they didn't know which way to turn but ordinarily he's up front at 10. That position will still exist, whether Rooney is in it or not, and so if we stay in this formation the problem remains.

I personally believe Pogba is shackled by playing alongside Fellaini in a pair. I think we need to ditch this and have a three man midfield. Fellaini wouldn't be in it.

Right now both Fellaini and Rooney need to be not in the side and we would surely improve.

7. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

You all sound a little disgruntled. I spoke to a few of your compatriots on Sunday afternoon at the pub and they were far from thrilled either,