1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Apr 13, 2017.

1. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Obviously we will have to wait and see but maybe now everyone can relax we may see something develop.

But the words of the boss don't seem to inspire.

Maybe we as fans just expect too much????

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Maybe as fans who traditionally prefer a different style of play...

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Nice to see Mrs Taylor at the game (and she saw a win..)

Also good tackle by Doucoure at the end...

4. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

We'll get relegated Scullion, because we're crap.

I was hugely disappointed with Watford today, you've always been a free flowing attacking side, but from 51 minutes you were time wasting on your own manor! I'd expect that from an away team, trying to silence a home crowd, but to do it for over 40 minutes on your own patch was abysmal. I actually felt sorry for you chaps as fans and recommend you get a new boss for next season to get back to the "Watford Way"!

Good luck until our paths meet again <ok>

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, scullion. :)
    If the song is 'Revolution 9' from the White Album then you're the same age as my young Seb. :emoticon-0147-emo:

Scullion likes this.
  6. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I can distinctly hear WM whispering:
    "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance..."

7. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

i will be there in July

8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

A good while ago...

9. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Agreed..... not the way we have played and enjoyed over the years........

all the best to you ...

PGFWhite likes this.
  10. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Swansea fans are always nice when they visit our board and it's nice to have views from them.

PGFWhite and Markthehorn like this.

11. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

We weren't good yesterday and it was obvious weren't going to get more than one so it was a case of do anything to hold on to those three points once we got the breakthrough. We rarely make a win easy for ourselves, so I think it was a case of just running that clock down yesterday and hoping Sigurdsson didn't come up with any magic!

PGFWhite likes this.
  12. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Just seen the "highlights" and result.

40 points, job done, but not mathematically. However, we should be safe now.

I´ll happily eat some humble pie...I thought Capoue wouldn´t score again all season...

13. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I went to the game but only appreciated our (first half mostly) superiority when looking at the highlights. We had several decent efforts - Deeney's from Janmaat's cross in particular. Swansea had a few it is true. Perhaps I should take notes. Okaka's 2nd half effort would have been deserved. He didn't get any advantage by being (only) just offside. The fact is though that Swansea desperately needed the points and didn't look much like getting them. We were quite happy with not losing, and played within our capabilities. No problem from me at all with that. Outcome, is... we are where we are, they are where they are.
    Funny, noone understood Amrabat being replaced by Kabasele (least of all Amrabat, and I'm not sure Kabasele understood either), but Janmaat certainly has a better end product than Amrabat, and with Okaka on with deeney it made more sense to have Janmaat delivering the ball. If kabasele develops like Doucoure he'll be very good for us next season. cleverley had an off day. You could see what he was trying to do, just didn't come off. But he doesn't hide. Good team player - keeps everything ticking over whilst Capoue drifts off for a while.
    Best of all - and I think not enough credit has been given to the coaching team for this, is doucore's development. Excellent again yesterday. He has been brought on really well. He seemed to see all the dangers. Capoue can play with more freedom knowing doucoure is reading the game behind him, and not Behrami - effective though he is, but he reacts rather than anticipates and is always close to a booking. I think Capoue might get a couple more before the season is out. Holebas seems to have opted to play rather than fight - also a good thing and we threaten from either side now. We look steadier with Mariappa playing instead of Britos - enforced or otherwise. I wonder if Berghuis will come back and enjoy playing. competing with Amrabat and Niang ?

That's my lot for this season - it's progress which is all we can ask for in this unforgiving environment. Well done to them all I say !

14. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Also we didn't have the embarrassment of Janssen scoring against us in open play.

15. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Was a pretty poor game all round really. First half just about kept me awake, and felt we just edged it. 2nd half we went into our normal routine of sitting deep once we had the lead. Once Kabasele came on and we went 3-5-2, we became very disjointed. I think Holebas and Janmaat struggled a little with the change for a while, and meant we had no width going forward, with Niang playing more centrally. Not sure why WM persists with the 3-5-2... he seems determined to make it work

Up to then I thought Holebas played very well, and Mariappa had a very good game, so hope he isn't just dumped when Britos comes back. I also thought it was Cleverley's worst performance in a Watford shirt since he's been back - a lot of misplaced passes and seemed he was getting more and more frustrated with himself - but I like this midfield 3 and hope we stick with it - but if anyone's place is under threat from Behrami, it really should be Capoue's.

As for Swansea... they didn't offer a lot but had a few chances at the end to equalise. Would be nice if they can get a run going, and Bournemouth gets dragged back into it :)

But... at least we are safe, which is the main thing, and before that run in. Can honestly see us not getting another win in the last 6 games now.

16. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

If we only get 1 or 2 points from the next 6 games then WM gets the sack .Will better players come to us ?