1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Southampton

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

The Upper GT like a moan at the best of times so today would have been ideal for them!

2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Right, disclaimer time: had a few to drink today. Birthday boy and all that.

Not watched it on MotD.

Observations during the game: missed TD's goal (not alcohol related, btw) then watched us stand off and let them play.
    Unacceptable. Football is a simple game: if you have the ball, find space; if you don't have the ball, find a man. That's it. We lost because we didn't do things that were drummed into us when we were 7 or 8 years old.
    Got back into the game at 2-2 with a real cracker of a goal: Success and Okaka didn't think it, they just did it.

And then Gomes (Mr. Reliable) spills it for 2-3 and then WTF for 2-4
    Total Shiite and far too predictable.

Elvis had already left the building before Doucoure stuffed up my two goal loss prediction.

Will see if it looks any better on MotD. Oh yeah. I thought Roger East* and his team were the worst of the three on display. We'll see...

*edit: ???it was of course John Moss. Still awful, btw.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. Hornet-Fez

And yeah, my seat is in the UGT. I did have a good go too. Worthy.

4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wish i could find a positive...!

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

I watched it all today, but wanted to really focus on the game and not post.

My wife watched it with me, she doesn´t know so much about football in all fairness, but said we didn´t deserve to score 3 and defended like muppets. Think she was spot on really.

All I can say is this, the last two games has given me no hope or inspiration. The manager has no plan or tactics, well that´s how it seems to me. This season has been strange. We should stay up, but what could have been really is frustrating and so many performances have been dire.

I think WM should go at the end of the season, but he has done allright - we are only Watford after all.

TD9 - another milestone set :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

John Moss was the ref I think?

Anyway he didn't seem to like us very much!

Okaka was fouled when booked for dissent...

Yet Holebas and Britos weren't after their 3rd.

That rule like so many seems to be applied in an inconsistent manner.

7. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

You probably had my old seat, Yorkie...with the family of braindeads in the row behind.

8. Hornet-Fez

Indeed. And the asso on the UGT side had a nightmare. So bad one does have to wonder how he got there in the first place.

9. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

On last weeks MOTD Shearer showed how Chelsea go and get the ball back when they loose it - it was impressive. We loose the ball too often and then sort of occupy the space near the opposing player rather than hassle him. It takes a lot of effort (fitness) to go and get the ball and we have been good at it in the past, maybe it's not WM's style? They often seemed to have a spare player in acres of space when we had 2 defenders trying to deal with the bloke to had the ball - an who is he going to pass it to??

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Jürgen Klopp tries to install this into his Liverpool players as well, though most of them are still players from the Rodgers regime. It works on the principle that players are never as vulnerable to a challenge as at the moment of first winning the ball. Quick tackling back, whilst up field, replaces a great deal of necessary creative midfield play.

11. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

For their first, Redmond jumped over the ball to allow it to go in - I would have thought that should be classed as interfering with play. I agree with Kamara who said that when they scored their fourth, it looked like we'd given up - Prodl didn't even attempt to block the shot which would be embarrassing by a National League defender, never mind an international for a decent side like Austria.

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

To be honest, that is one part of the offside rule that I can't come to grips with - as far as I'm concerned, if an attacking player is in the defending six yard box next to the goalkeeper then his mere presence there means he is bloody well interfering with play by distracting the goalkeeper.

13. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

There were i think four of them..... a womn who kept screeching on the whole time, and a boy with a shrill voice who kept shrieking out advice... totally mad!! plus a couple of blokes who didn't say much... but one of them tried a Mazurri out chant <doh> thankfully it stopped after about 10 seconds

14. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

No women or kids amongst my lot, Yorkie...the bolts through the heads probably put them off...

15. yorkshirehornet

I don't mind criticism but when there is a disconnect between brain, mind and vocal chords it is just abhorrent...and sadly their dulcet tones don't reach the pitch just everyone around them

16. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i watched MotD. It's the second week in a row that we apparently weren't playing, we didn't get a mention after the 'highlights'. The offside goal was obviously offside imo, how could Redmond not have been interfering with play, mad rule. The ref was utterly one sided but even his own colleagues think he shouldn't be getting premier league games, according to something i heard the other day, he's completely useless. Obviously it didn't get a mention on MotD.

i've heard through the grapevine that our next manager is already lined up...watch this space!

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  17. yorkshirehornet

Well I would not be surprised.....

Hornette_TID likes this.
  18. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

How long should we watch it for?

Hopefully not until the summer...

19. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

re offside, if we have to have offside, then I'm with Brian Clough - if a player is on the pitch, he is interfering with play, period.
    However I would not mind seeing offside scrapped - teach teams to defend properly and not rely on the trap.

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Another extremely frustrating performance - get an early goal then just stop playing!

I would honestly be happy with a whole new back 4. There is no pace about them and any team watching us will know all they have to do is play the ball over the top/into the channels and they'll be through on goal, or our defence will just stand off them allowing them to attack. It's like they have no confidence in the tackle, and they'll just beat them! Too old, too slow!

Midfield seems to have changed again. I thought we were doing pretty well with a 4-1-4-1, with Behrami as the holding midfielder, allowing Cleverley and Capoue a bit more freedom. I think we need to go back to that - especially once Amrabat is back, and can play him and Niang as wide men. Speaking of which... he had a very poor game but the first half he looked more like a wing back... and didn't have a clue how to play it. He's never a wing back - he's just too lazy to track back.

Okaka seemed to come in and out of the game - he'd do some good things, do some bad things. Fair play to Deeney... seems to be back to his best of last year, chasing everything, challenging everything, and winning a lot of the aerial duals! I thought Success did well when he came on and provided and bit more of an attacking threat!

As for the officials... don't really recall any 'big' decisions but we were getting nothing from them. Not really game-changing but they were very poor

We are obviously missing a few players... but just think we have too old a squad to be playing a pressing game and it just allows teams to come onto us. We seem to have the mentality of getting a goal then sitting back and allowing pressure... it's just never going to work!

I think the fans are back to getting frustrated with WM after a couple of decent wins. It's not the losing, but how we are losing. Just doesn't seem to be any kind of game plan... doesn't surprise me if he doesn't last the summer (if not sooner). It is the same with Flores for the second half of last season - truly awful to watch!