1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Gillingham

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 22, 2016.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    Watford v Gillingham

EFL CUP 2nd ROUND
    Date: 23rd August 2016
    Venue: Vicarage Road Stadium
    Kick Off: 19.45 BST

The League Cup was introduced in the 1960–61 season specifically as a mid-week floodlit tournament, to replace the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup of which competition Watford were founder members. Aston Villa were the inaugural winners in 1960–61, defeating Rotherham United 3–2 in the final over two legs. The first League Cup final to be held at Wembley was Third Division Queens Park Rangers' win over First Division West Bromwich Albion on 4 March 1967. Over the years it has had many sponsors with the chance to call it after their company. The current trophy is the original one, although two sponsors did prefer to award their own one, but we are back to the three handled silver one worth about £20,000

For 70 minutes Watford played well against Chelsea on Saturday, but then stumbled to a 1-2 defeat. This has raised questions from some about the fitness levels of a few of the players, with one or two looking rather overweight and less mobile.
    Gills manager Justin Edinburgh spoke to the press after his side’s 5-0 defeat to Scunthorpe at Glanford Park; their first loss of the EFL season.

Edinburgh on…the goals: “For long periods of the game we were comfortable, but if you concede goals in the manner we did, then it tends to suck the life out of you, and that’s what happened.

“All of the goals were avoidable." Where have we heard that before?
    The last meeting between these sides was their only previous meeting in this competition - Watford won 3-0 in a first round tie in August 2007.

Gillingham's last win at Vicarage Road in all competitions came in a second tier league meeting in March 2003 (1-0), losing two and drawing one since then.

The Hornets have reached the third round of the League Cup in just one of the previous seven seasons (2013-14).

Meanwhile, Gillingham have not progressed past the second round since 2005-06, beating Portsmouth 3-2 at Priestfield - which was also the last time they beat Premier League opposition in the competition.

The idea of predicting team selection seems a waste of time, although we might see Younes Kaboul get a run out.
    However, fellow new Watford signing Roberto Pereyra is awaiting a work permit having completed his move from Serie A champions Juventus.

Summer arrival Isaac Success could be involved if he can shake off a hamstring problem, but Ben Watson is still suspended.

:emoticon-0100-smile Wherever You Are In The World- Enjoy The Game :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    andytoprankin likes this.
  2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Will our 2 new signings play - might be quite an introduction to English football for Pereyra!

We always lose to lower league in this competition and whilst Gillingham did lose 5-0 at the weekend they aren't a bad side.

3. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Pereyra won't play but Kaboul might. Big chance to assess fringe players before the final cuts.

4. brb

brb CR250

It will be interesting to see if JE risks Dack for this game, personally I wouldn't but expect JE might give him a run out.

Nelson our normally safe pair of hands made two howlers on Saturday at Scunthorpe and after that it was only ever going to be down hill. Although Nel's escaped the wrath of the fans as he is normally our saviour.

I guess the biggest threat to you guys maybe Emmanuel-Thomas (JET) from QPR, scored in our first three games (one cup). Although Donnelly scored a cracker of an equaliser against our most hated rivals Swindon before Scunny.

Not only was Dack missing from Scunthorpe but also the pace and long throw of Jackson, word to the wise on that one, his throw is as good has a corner if he is playing, Rory Delap eat your heart out hahaha

If JE plays a strong line up, then be prepared for a possible shock, if not you will be sending us home and out with nought.

Bit of pressure on the Gills this season because unusually a lot of other club supporters are expecting us to be up in the mix, I think Scally is going for the Championship with more gusto this season, despite us blowing a massive lead up the top last season before taking the biggest freefall in any club history, maybe apart from Tranmere and finishing a lowly ninth, freefall was an understatement we had it in the bag and blew it.

Any way what ever happens I'm sure neither of us are going to take it to seriously.

Edit: Oh yeah nearly forgot to mention Cody, the fans favourite but not mine, so likely to score a brace ;)

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

According to WD Sport Younes Kaboul is almost certain to start, whereas Roberto Pereyra will not get his work permit until Wednesday.

6. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Wonder if there will be a stream?

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

EFL cup? League cup, didn´t realise there was this game on...Good chance to increase the match fitness, I´d like to see a strong a line up as possible.

8. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I hope we do well tonight. When all is said and done the cups are the only realistic chance of Watford actually winning something - it also keeps more members of the squad active

10. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Balls. Champions League 2017-18. :D

11. andytoprankin

Yours looks good, good luck with them. Cov haven't exactly started well. Must be some pressure to stay in that division. I seem to remember that there is a big old difference between League 1 and League 2 money. I know it's going back a bit, but Cov is a city and they were one-time league leaders.

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Don't get me started about bloody Coventry, they and Everton conspired to get us relegated in 1985 - not that I'm one to bear a grudge, you understand! <grr> <laugh>

13. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed with the result at Preston last season. I know that we will rotate players, but if we want to compete in the Premiership, we should have back-up players with the desire to impress and the ability to beat League One opposition (with respect to Gillingham). As people have already said, its also a great opportunity to get to Wembley, and given we have never won a major trophy I would actually happily take winning the League Cup over staying up!

I hope Vydra gets a start to show what he can do, a good game from Pantilimon putting pressure on Gomes, a chance for Kaboul to make his debut away from the intensity of the Premier League and perhaps a few other fringe plays to prove they still have the stuff. I would like to see Hoban get a game after being out for so long as he showed so much promise in the championship before his injuries.

14. andytoprankin

<applause> I couldn't agree more, F1, that's a terrific post. I, too, was horrified by the lack of fire in the bellies of those supposedly fighting for first team places last season. We may lose due to lack of match sharpness, lack of familiarity with this 3-5-2 system, but I'll be bloody unhappy if players can't be professional and turn in a Doyleyesque level of effort and concentration.

15. andytoprankin

Well obviously, Dave, just as we don't bear Everton any grudges from the '84 Cup Final - Andy Gray is welcome at the Vic any time and a visit from Dave Bassett would see him carried on the shoulders of Luther Blissett and Graham Taylor, the crowd cheering and... and...

canary-dave and Bolton's Boots like this.
  16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except the highlighted

17. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

Oh I fully expect most of people to disagree with me, but I have never ever seen my team win a major trophy, and neither has anyone else. Isn't that the point of the club?! I know in 30 years time, if it were to happen, I am more likely to be talking about the time we lifted a cup at Wembley than when we finished a sold 15th in the top flight or wherever.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would love to win a major trophy. To date the 1984 Cup Final has to replace an actual trophy. However, if you look at the strength of teams in the Championship I would not like to have to go through a promotion chase again by choice.Were we to follow Blackpool or Coventry or Portsmouth what level of support would we then have and how few would be those for whom the trophy counted. Last season up to Christmas was a fantastic experience - we were fighting for the top spot achievable by one of the non top six. OK bizarrely Leicester overcame those odds but I do not expect to see that happen again in my lifetime. IF we can compete for 7th position in the Premiership I will enjoy that.

19. andytoprankin

I agree. I know you meant this season, F1, and I'm not sure I agree but totally understand the sentiments, but of course recentlyish Wigan won the FA Cup and Swansea and Birmingham won the League Cup from moderately low league positions.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think it can be done - but I know that if we were in the Cup Final but needed a point to avoid relegation in our last game I would take the point over the cup