1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Burnley - Sat 4th Feb 2017.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Feb 2, 2017.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

We were in the Rookery and the celebration for our third was huge and went on a while. They broke and could have scored. There would've been a horrible irony with Deeney, of all people, scoring a 'definite' goal, only to find it wasn't a last minute result-sealing goal because the opposition had raced up to the Rookery end to score and thus change the result.
    Phew!! Thank goodness it didn't happen, I think the media would've been drawing parallels and have delighted in undermining the memory of perhaps our most exciting goal ever.

2. andytoprankin

It worked well. :) The zonal defending for corners seemed to work well, too. <yikes>

3. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm afraid so, Deeney's handball looked clear to me.

4. andytoprankin

Sorry to dispute this, A1, but we all had a terrible view of it from the Rookery and everyone was unanimous it was a goal. ;)

A1 Horn likes this.
  5. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Usual pathetic highlights on MOTD and the analysis was an afterthought - why are we treated as a joke? why do all the commentators will our opposition to get something from the game. Arn't Leicester the joke team this year? (sadly).

Prodl was trying to pull his arm away, in fact he was backing away from the shot, which as a defender he should not do, maybe a call from Gomes?

Deeney's last goal was a handball, although I don't think it was deliberate.

Newbies looked good.

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

They certainly did - all three added a 'buzz' to the side that has been missing for nearly two seasons.

7. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

We should have left 2 up at burnleys corners. would have forced them to leave 3 back, severely reducing the chance of them scoring and giving us a decent chance of possession after the corner. You get the impression they were playing to instructions rather than thinking about it and making a decision - in fact a lot of the football from WFC seemed to follow a plan which wasn't adjusted for hendricks sending off. Oliver got most calls right although Prodl's pen did look harsh . I thought he was trying to get his arm out of the way. Niang seemd very much part of the team and offers more variety than amrabat - he can cross the ball properly for a start, and head it too. I wonder if we'll ever see Berghuis and Niang on the wings and Okaka or success + deeney in the centre. A real throwback to Callaghan,Barnes, Jenkins blissett. (Well not jenkins, perhaps we should buy Crouch - perfect fit!)

A good result though. It's bizarre, we have been beaten twice by stoke, and are above them.

Markthehorn and andytoprankin like this.
  8. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Happy to get back to the city, have net, and more importantly see another big 3 points on the board.

BIG week this, wouldn´t say season defining but a big, big week!!! :)

If we are honest, a loss at Arsenal which was expected and a bad performance at home to a team with only one point away from home all season and Mazzarri would not be sleeping well at all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  9. andytoprankin

No slant to this, but would they have been stifled by the 352? And I don't mean the bus to Fulham Broadway, before BB takes this post that way... <doh> ;)

10. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Great result, not such a great performance - but at the moment, just want those wins to gather a bit of momentum and keep a decent distance between us and the bottom group.

We controlled most of the first half - understandable considering we had the extra man, and so glad we managed to get the 2nd goal just before half time... although that seemed to make them stop playing in the 2nd, and as usual, get a lead and we invite pressure.

Red card - definite, over the ball, a reckless challenge. Not sure many can argue about it

Their penalty - At the time I actually thought it probably was, but there doesn't seem to be a camera angle to confirm either way

Deeney goal... I couldn't tell from the Rookery but on the TV it looks like he did handball it, and that action bought it under control to allow him to score...

Was a bit disappointed with Dyche moaning, wanting Niang sent off, - they can give a yellow if he climbs the perimeter fence to score a goal, and isn't even a cautionable offence to leave the field of play - just states they need to get back on the pitch as soon as possible

I thought Niang and Zarate were both very good. Have very good intent, wanting to attack the defender, and a bit of pace about them - something we have missed. Also thought Cleverley was superb, and easily man of the match. So calm on the ball... he seems to have that extra bit we have missed - where others seem to panic on the ball and just get rid of it, he seems so calm! Been a fantastic January for signings.

I hope we stick with this formation too. Kaboul looks so much better in a back 4, and we have wide men, which is exactly what Deeney needs. Also think Amrabat will play fir into this system better, plus with Success, it looks like we have options and some depth

11. Bolton's Boots

Oh I don't know - to me it looked like we had three Amrabats in the team - the bustling, all action, forward running & in your face type of players that add excitement to a match.

Fulham Broadway?? Doesn't the 352 run between Watford & Hemel? :)

12. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes.. I only saw the highlight.. but our ball distribution and movement seemed so much better

Mind you I am going to Man U... so that will be a bigger test than the last two!

13. Bolton's Boots

Recognition for that tackle by Cleverley...

brian_66_usa and Mexican Hornet like this.