1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Burnley - Sat 4th Feb 2017.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Feb 2, 2017.

1. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Nervy but a great result. WE are a lot better than before Arsenal but more work to do. And with the new guys a big enough squad so hopefully we will improve from here.

The rele pressure is becoming distant so hopefully the rest of the season should be a joy. Cheers all.

andytoprankin likes this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

ATTENDANCE: 20,178

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Well that table is looking a lot better..

I'll bet Soton, Bournemouth and Leicester are starting to sweat...

table.JPG

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Some spectacular poor form just below us has really made these last two wins very big....

5. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Yes it was and a win is a (priceless) win but second half was a step back to our recent past.
    With also some teams at the bottom now regulary picking up points it could look a lot different in a few weeks time and there is no room for being complacent.
    But how different things feel after last two games... Manure away next.....

6. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Solid 1st half performance attacking well and with pace albeit aided by the fact they had 10 men of course.

2 excellent crosses for the goals.

2nd half - well clearly we were either a bit complacent or just wanted to make a game of it as Burnley could have got a point - they seemed to have the man advantage/look fitter.

Shame we were so lacklustre and lazy after a very promising opening 45 minutes.

But we won and all the new guys certainly added something to our game.

Nice to see Success back and Deeney scoring,

andytoprankin likes this.
  7. yorkshirehornet

U would have thought we would have built on it in the second half against 10 men Did we change tactics?

Markthehorn likes this.
  8. yorkshirehornet

Did Dyche get a warm welcome?

9. Markthehorn

Yes he did.

Not sure we changed tactics as such but did seem to be playing slower and at the back rather than just keep on attacking.

Tbf Burnley did create lots of problems and had nothing to lose.

10. Bolton's Boots

I think it was more a change of personnel - swapping Doucoure for Behrami meant we lost something defensively - would have brought on Watson myself.

11. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

In the words of the great man "Do I not like that" :)

12. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Great match and looks like the new boys have settled in quickly so some credit for Mr Mazarri..... How great was the 72nd/73rd minute only one Graham Taylor and Elton Johns Taylor Made Army..... This is the Watford I know and love.... Now if we can wipe that smug Moroneeeooo face into a picture of tears next week... Is GT providing spiritual guidance to the lads from above??? As for England rugby I now know my mode of death... It'll be heart attack during last 15 of a Watford match combining with last 15 of an England rugby match, these ends to games are a test of human tolerance!!!

13. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Jaqing here: 2-0 up. At home. Opposition reduced to ten men. Free kick to the opposition. In our half... just.

Kin ell, not only do we have ALL 11 back... FFS!!! the I keeper takes it....FFFFS

question being.... how much longer until... well... Leave to leave 1 up or even two up, leaving the keeper exposed ... ??????????

14. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Well that was edge of seat stuff towards the end. Just couldn't see why we couldn't just see it out better as the home team against 10, but I suppose football isn't that black and white sometimes. What a great week (dare I say a season-defining week?) to now be on the psychologically important 30 point mark rather than the 24 I suppose it could've been. Both Niang and Zarate gave it a go which was good to see. Can't understand the Burnley fans' reaction to Holebas - why wasn't that directed at Michael Oliver if anyone? Guess we will be back to our usual slot last on MOTD and will hear Dychey complaining about the ref (credit to him though for clapping all sides of the ground at the end). A rest this week after 3 games close together and another one of those 'free-hits' at Manure. Oh, wait a minute, didn't we go and win the last so-called 'free-hit'? :emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Definitly should have left at least 1 up when Burnley were attacking.

Does anyone think Niang could have got a 2nd yellow for celebrating in the crowd as Dyche says? Also the Pen - Prodl handball worth a 2nd yellow? Both weak of course but letter of the law?

Markthehorn likes this.
  16. Markthehorn

Prodl did get booked I think - maybe the long rage distance helped him?

17. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking that if we had only got one point from our last two games, which is perfectly feasible, we would have been looking over our shoulders with a fair bit of trepidation. Such is the life of a Watford supporter.

18. Bolton's Boots

I'm not exactly sure what he was expected to do with his arm - as far as I can see, he was trying to move it behind his back to avoid contact with the ball. I didn't think it was worth a penalty, never mind a yellow card. And as Ian Wright said on MoTD about Niang's booking - "That's not a yellow card..."

On the subject of handball - did anyone get a clear view of Deeney's disallowed goal? He was quite clearly surprised, judging by his language...

19. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Looked handball at the time and tonight on motd they didn't reply it enough to be certain but I still thought it was.

Re my earlier comment, I didn't realise Prodl was given a card for the penalty - I thought he picked up a card in the first half so thought the ref was being lenient. Obviously I was wrong.

20. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Sheer poetry... :emoticon-0105-wink: